RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
17,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well folks, tomorrow at 8:30 am Mr. Elvis goes under the knife!
(not really it will be laser surgery)
By all accounts, there is NO structual damage to any ligaments or tendons.
Left un addressed, this damage could occur.

Elvis has a "congenital" condition.
(that means hereditary)
The "grooves" the cranial patellar sits in are too small.
They will be widened and deepened.
This should eliminate the problem for the rest of his life.
The vet showed me the X-rays and gave me a very in depth explanation of what was going on.
Showing me what Elvis' looks like and what they should look like and pictures of post surgery results.

After a lot of research and discussion, it is my opinion that this has to be done or eventually Elvis will BLOW-UP his knee altogether.

This is a hard time as I LOVE that little bugger. :'(

Here is to hoping we get to hear that little **** pound all the way out and back again some day!!
When Elvis came to me, I had a big hole in my soul.
He has MORE than filled that hole with the joy and wonder only we dog folks know.
Here he is the day he chose me;

Here is the Elvis I get to enjoy;

Hang in there buddy, no matter what I will be there for you!

He is always happy and he has never once shorted me on effort!!
Thanks for picking me Elvis, I am the luckiest guy in the world!!

Your prayers and good karma are appreciated!

More later..........

Thanks,

My apologies if this is a little sappy, I am just a little nevous right now.:cool:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Absolutely nothing for you to appologize for in my opinion. You sound like I would if I were in your shoes and a concerned "father". I second that, I love that puppy pic as well. Good luck with the surgery!

·
Administrator
3,872 Posts
Not sappy at all. A concern that only dog people can understand. These dogs give us so much and have a place in our hearts that is so special.

Prayers for Elvis for a successful surgery and full recovery. Prayers for you as you await that phone call from the vet saying "All is well" and prayers to guide the surgeon's hands during the surgery.

Personally, I love to hear how much you love "that little bugger"!! :)

·
Registered
17,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think he'll bounce back soon. He's got a good owner and that's half of it. He's got spunk and that's the rest of it. Take care of him and yourself. Harry
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

You judged his very first run at Four Points.
He had never swam before.
On that last bird in the water he finally waded in and grabbed a wing.
He was 4-1/2 months old!!!!!

What a memory.
You were great!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Hey, Stan, those buggers are our family and we love them as such. Prayers being sent to you and Elvis. Please keep us posted on his recovery.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Stan , I think your toughest hurdle will be keeping Elvis quiet and sedentary during his rehab stint on the disabled list...as much as he hates it you might have to air him on a leash just so he wont get full of himself and go out and injure himself while he heals

·
Registered
921 Posts
Hey Stan I sure hope it all works out for you and Elvis. Hes a sweet dog and lucky to have you.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Don't be surprised he isn't himself for a day or two but then he may be just fine-mine was a little dog who chose to glare at me for a day but that's a Terrier. You are doing the right thing for him.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Stan,
Good luck to you and Elvis and I will say a prayer for a speedy recovery. Be patient, your buddy will be fine.

I did want to say that if something is congenital it is not a genetic disorder. I have had a puppy with a congenital disorder and don't want to see anyone confused.
World English Dictionary
congenital (kənˈdʒɛnɪt ə l)

— adj
1. denoting or relating to any nonhereditary condition, esp an abnormal condition, existing at birth: congenital blindness
2. informal complete, as if from birth: a congenital idiot

[C18: from Latin congenitus born together with, from genitus born, from gignere to bear, beget]

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Here's hoping he has a good surgeon, an uneventful procedure, and a smooth recovery.

Time to get in a rehab frame of mind.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Stan, I'll keep fingers crossed the surgery and rehab is uneventful and that ole Elvis is better than ever. Sounds like you have a good vet who took the time to explain what he needed & why. Trust me, we all understand your worries over the surgery. Keep us posted on how he's doing.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts