RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,625 Posts
That was a great video!
I do not view all of your videos, just as I do not click on every rtf thread. But I am very glad your thread title caught my eye. Some of the little things you do are, in my opinion, just Wicked Cool. Some stand outs for me are your pace. You're slow. And your off the truck, air, into the holding blind protocol, very deliberate. I am going to be mindful. I need to tweak my off the truck routine. But what stood out the very most was you are rock steady when your shot gun did not fire. I cringe when so many people, many very experienced shooters, flinch hard when a firearm does not fire, as expected. Good Job. Fun diversion. Better than a farmer with a honey wagon coming out after you set your stick men and tosser!

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Good job. I know of three dogs and one trainer who can use a lot of this. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Nice vid, nice set up, very nice lab, neighbor ( 6mins in) seeming nice too... lol

·
Registered
423 Posts
Another nice video showing routine and patience. I thoroughly enjoyed this and it appears very helpful for preparing the dog for "game day". Calm trainer and consistent routine steps should get rid of some test anxiety for both parties. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I learned a lot from your video about pace and being deliberate. My pup is just short of 6 months and steadiness is an area I really need to focus on. I saw in your video this can and should be incorporated as part of each practice session. Thanks, again this was really helpful to me. :D

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Right on Jim!!!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Thanks for posting, I am inspired to incorporate a slower pace and more waiting into my training sessions.

How many wingers do you have, anyway?

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I'm glad everyone liked it. This particular video variation was the result of the recent RTF thread on using a "head camcorder". A high percentage of training videos focus on the dog in the field. However, by placing the camera pointed at the line a trainer can get a better "picture" of not only the dog but the trainer, too. I've already seen/heard a few areas that need to be worked on.

Normally this drill takes longer, but keeping the length of the video within reason resulted in a faster pace. I have taken as long as a half hour with similar sessions.

gardyner asked:
How many wingers do you have, anyway?
I am still using the same four DIY wingers built in 2004. The apparent confusion at the line with my gun was caused by Winger #2. The antenna wire was practically detached. It finally launched, but not in the sequence I wanted. The confusion resulted in making some quick adjustments (one of which involved forgetting the gun safety was on).

When Gunny came out for his run, I decided to simply hand-throw the forth duck from the line.

It's not easy to see in the video, but the transmitter is Velcro'd to the gun for finger tip control.

This is not obvious either...at the start Daisy exits her van box and an e-collar is placed on her. She then has to remain on sit in the van (with the door open) as I walk completely around before airing her.

wingers after the session was over

primer only popper gun with transmitter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts