RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the retriever world. I grew up with Springers that we had trained and trialed. Now that I'm in Mississippi, retriever training has become my new favorite hobby! I'm on my first retriever, a British lab from Mark Hairfield (Southaven Kennels) here in MS. She's 11 months old, moving along very well (faster than I can keep up), and passed her first HRC test this weekend, which was my first time to handle. We ran Seasoned, and it was great to have a pass on the first go.

I'm looking forward to a lifetime hobby of training retrievers, and seeing my kids handle dogs as junior handles in the upcoming years!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Congrats. That first one is amazing, you will never forget it. Have fun and you will probably have your second dog in 2 years.:D

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Pictures - worthless other wise! ;) Congrats on your pass...BTW you are now hopelessly addicted! There is no way to escape! Resistance is futile!!

FOM

·
Registered
227 Posts
Good for you, gives me hope as a first time handler looking forward to my first Test this spring.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Pictures - worthless other wise! ;) Congrats on your pass...BTW you are now hopelessly addicted! There is no way to escape! Resistance is futile!!

FOM
FOM's right, you're in trouble now. Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Congratulations! My buddy got his first Finished pass at the same test (Southern Flight, I assume) with his AWS pup. His pup (Red) is a puppy that my Gumbo sired. You're hooked for life; have fun.
Professor

·
Registered
71 Posts
Man I can't belive that dude skipped out on ribbons sunday.... its not uncommon to get a first pass wet at southern flight, and I was waiting on getting him wet! Super nice guy, and a nice dog to boot. he had fun all weekend with us, did great with us calling his dog a boykin (its not like I judge water spainels all the time!). When red went after the middle bird on land sunday afternoon, he looked like a front wheel drive car in the snow! it was awesome. travis

·
Registered
952 Posts
Travis,
You almost got to judge your second AWS (Gumbo) at Old Hatchie, but I found out I can't make it. Thanks for all your (and Andrea's) encouragement with Red. He's gonna be a good dog.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thats a shame, because we're gonna have FUN. Ive judged water spainels before, but not in finished, and defiently not getting it did... red got er did. Love when they're crying about a 'big test', and a 10 inch tall dog comes out and smokes it... only dogs that didnt dig those marks sunday, didnt sit good enough to mark them! travis

·
Registered
952 Posts
I really hate I can't come out there. I ran Old Hatchie when I delivered Red to Scott two years ago and had a ball. (Delivering the pup was a good excuse to travel to MS to run a test).
There have been 5 Water Spaniels with Finished titles; Red will be #6. One has over 1000 points (and one Grand Pass), our Gurley had 865 when she was killed, and Gumbo has 625.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I'm new to the retriever world. I grew up with Springers that we had trained and trialed. Now that I'm in Mississippi, retriever training has become my new favorite hobby! I'm on my first retriever, a British lab from Mark Hairfield (Southaven Kennels) here in MS. She's 11 months old, moving along very well (faster than I can keep up), and passed her first HRC test this weekend, which was my first time to handle. We ran Seasoned, and it was great to have a pass on the first go.

I'm looking forward to a lifetime hobby of training retrievers, and seeing my kids handle dogs as junior handles in the upcoming years!

Now you need to sign up on Entryexpress and Run South Miss AKC Junior test. You have a chance to get 2 passes on Apr 14-15 and than 2 wks later you can go to Flora, MS and run 2 more Junior and get your title. But you need to sign up in advance.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Karen,

Can I run AKC tests on Saturday only? I am a pastor at a church, and I cannot run on Sunday. This means it will take me 4 weekends (if I pass 4 straight) in HRC to finish HR. I've looked at a few AKC events, and I'm not sure exactly what to do.

Also, should I run Junior in AKC? Maggie passed Season in HRC without a hitch. I was going to finish her on Seasoned and then run Senior in AKC. My plan was Seasoned - Senior - Finished - Master.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Yes you run only one day of Jr or Senior. Master is the only one you will have a problem running one day only. A lot of the clubs are going to do only 1 jr and 1 senior that might slow you dow. If you skip Jr, you will need to pass 5 Senior instead of 4, but that is 3 less test if the dog is ready. We are on our 4th dog so we skiped JR/Sr and went straight to Master when she was ready. Saves a lot of money and also they don;t get so hunt wise.
Same goes for HRC, if you skip started you need 4 passes in Season or if your dog is ready for Finish, you can use that season pass toward your title but you will need pass 6 to get the 100 pts. South Miss akc hunt on Apr 14/15 is have both Jr and Senior both days so if you want to try out Senior on a test that is not too far to travel, you can run Sat only, but you need to sign up before hand on EE.
If you do come out, come by Master and say hello, I will be the one with the clip board in one of the Master flgts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts