RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, let's say im dove hunting and i'm sitting down on a bucket and my dog is right next to me. If I tell him to sit, he sits but then he faces me. How could I get him to face forward. I know i isn't a very big deal, but this could help with marking shot birds.

Thanks for any advice,
Kyler and Hunter (my dog)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Is his entire body facing your or does he just look up at you??

·
Registered
60 Posts
I often train "heel" while sitting on a bucket for this very reason. Just reinforce heel while sitting and he should pick it up. Of course, someone might have a better way to solve your problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Usually his whole body, probably because hed sit with me watching TV and it pet him while he was facing me.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I often train "heel" while sitting on a bucket for this very reason. Just reinforce heel while sitting and he should pick it up. Of course, someone might have a better way to solve your problem.
This should fix the problem. Just do a lot of healing and make sure he knows what you mean, than start sitting on the bucket and say heal.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any suggestions besides heel ? I havent heeled him since his first year, I've never really needed to use it (except now) I don't even know if he'll remember it. So I'd probably have to re-teach him. But if I have to, I will. He's 5 but he's pretty obediant so I don't think it should be very difficult.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, it's really easy to underestimate the brain of a lab. Just for kicks, I went outside with Hunter and said heel and he heeled like he has done it his whole life. I hadn't have him heel in 4 years !!! So proud.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Have you tried to sit him from a heel?? Does he still scoot his butt around to face you?? If so, sit him from heel while walking about the side of a building or something. Stay nice and close so he doesn't have any room to move. Example: it's the building, the dog and then you. keep doing that and he'll get it!

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
Hey guys, let's say im dove hunting and i'm sitting down on a bucket and my dog is right next to me. If I tell him to sit, he sits but then he faces me. How could I get him to face forward.....
a- start shooting birds
b- in training, sit on your bucket and have your worker in the field start shooting birds

if Rover don't figger it out after that, a spot near the woodstove is in his future.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Sounds like the dog knew what to do you just weren't telling him to do it. You told him to sit and he did, right where you told him. And how could you have gone four years and never used heel?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Who was the preacher that was on TV that used to SLAP the $^!% out of people and holler "HEAL!"? That worked pretty good too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like the dog knew what to do you just weren't telling him to do it. You told him to sit and he did, right where you told him. And how could you have gone four years and never used heel?
Never seemed necessary to me. I don't do field trials or anything, I just hunt with him, and he always follows me. So I never had a need to use it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts