RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I attended a retriever club and watched the training. What is the name of the command that a directs the dog to sit and look back at the trainer when the dog is on a retrieve. I have seen it done on land and water. The trainer then gives directions with hand signals to find the dummy. Are there videos to learn how to do this? I have a 7 month lab pup who I would like to move to this level.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The command is "sit". The dog is taught to sit upon hearing the whistle when at the handler's side, and then taught to turn around and face the handler and sit when away from the handler, by using a rope. A comprehensive retriever training program makes teaching this easier (but not always "easy" to perfect). Lardy's Total Retriever Training, Aycock/Farmer's program, Graham's Smartworks, Stawski's Fowl Dogs, etc., can be followed to achieve this.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Most handlers use a whistle for this "command". The dogs are taught to sit when they hear a single whistle blown.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Welcome Andrew,
The guys above have given great advice. Additionally I would suggest getting involved with club and finding a mentor if you can. Training to the level you saw takes a good bit of time and patience as there are many stages between sit by your side and sit when you hear a whistle in the field and the take a cast.

Enjoy the ride,

John B.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts