RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard of alot of people using 22 pistols or them hand thingies that that use 22 blanks to launch bumpers from the line.
Pistols pearce my ears and have ruined my ears.
Shotguns dont hurt near as bad, but thinking the sharp sound of a pistol next to a dogs, would hurt him also.
Just a thought, just wondering if some are screwing their dogs up from shooting pistols next to there dog.
With my sinsitive ears, one pistol shot without ear plugs makes me hurt.
Sorry if it s a stupid post, but thinking , and dont know why.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Not stupid...

I prefer the bang of a shotgun or .209 primer to the "ring" of a .22.

Those .22's will make you deaf.

For that matter I think dog whistles will make you deaf too.

Don't wait until you're 60 to realize it.

·
Registered
9,413 Posts
Quote:

Brad,, Is it Ok if Gooser uses your sentence for my signature line????

It fits me perty well...

:):)

Gooser

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Brad, I don't think it's stupid at all.

Paul is quite right when he says "gun shy is typically man made" and letting drive with a .22 or dummy launcher over a puppies head is a good place to start it.

Something that's always bothered me and for which I have no answer, is the way we expose dogs to close quarter gunfire in blinds and hides. When I was shooting wood pigeon big time, two Springers were rendered pretty deaf.

Eug (who is pretty Mutt 'n Jeff himself, from a youth spent in foundries and drop forges and lots of gun fire).

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Brad,, Is it Ok if Gooser uses your sentence for my signature line????

It fits me perty well...

:):)

Gooser
Sure Gooser, just be carfull doing it after a few cold ones

·
Registered
340 Posts
The crack of a .22 pistol used to kill me when I was a youngin. It seems like yesterday when my dad helped me hold his H&R 9 shot revolver so that I could take out a few tin cans. My ears would ring like crazy.

But, if I shot the .22 rifle. Nothing.

I think the crack of the .22 has to do with how close your ears are to the end of the muzzle. IMHO the .22 has much softer sound than even a 20 gauge shotgun. A dog isn't going to be pistol distance away from the end of the barrel. And it is the first step.

Actually, the first step is making noise in the kitchen when the critter is eating. Let it get used to pots banging and cupboards slamming when it has its attention focused on food. Lil' bangs at first and then let it become part of the routine.

I actually found out that my wife was gunshy that way. I didn't see her come into the kitchen when I let a cupboard door go.

The pup learned a few new words that day.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes that is the reason for the post. I was just thinking and...
If using a pistol of any caliber makes my ears hurt and was throwing this out there for peolple who are thinking their dog is gun shy.
I have ear damage from guns, not due to training. There are some sounds I can not here, after a pistol was shot next to my head.
Riffles arnt near as bad, but try shootin a 22 pistol without ear protection or any caliber. No wait dont try it without protection.. And Im still young (Or middle young)
I just hear all the time the dog is gun shy. And like pointed out earlier, the dog is not born that way. It is made gun shy.
My ears are ringing now!!!!
HUh

1 - 10 of 10 Posts