RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

What is the single most valuable resource available to a trainer?

• A. Proper grounds/water for desired goal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B. Well bred dog

• C. Correct training group for desired goal

• D. Time

• E. Other

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...which is it and why?

Joe S.

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
IMHO...

Grounds and water. If there's no "where," everything else is pretty much moot. Yard work can only get you so far with even the best bred dog and all the time and knowledge in the world.

Keith G.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Can't do anything if you don't have time. If you have time, you can always travel somewhere for the grounds. There has to be something within a 4 hour drive in any direction.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
This question reminds me of my days in direct-selling. One company I worked for had a 10-step sales presentation in which, like a good dog training program, one step logically followed the one before it. As an instructor, one of my favorite questions was, "Which is the most important step?" Answer - The one you are in at the moment.

Without a well-bred dog, you are wasting all your other resources. Without enough time or the ability to dedicate enough time, you are wasting a good prospect. Without good grounds/water, you lack the ability to draw out the potential of a well-bred dog. Without a good training group or automatic equipment to replace them as assistants, you are limited in the types of set-ups you can use. Seems to me this is a package deal and that is why so few top quality, national-caliber dogs are produced each year.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I picked other... dedication, ifyou can consider that a resource, is the most important thing. Enough dedication... you'll find grounds. Enough dedication and you'll make the time to do it.

After dedication... having thick skin would be second, especially if you've got a hot wife or chocolate dog.

Shayne

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I voted for grounds.

While all of the items are important, or you wouldn't have put them on the poll, I think grounds are the most.

I have been training almost 2 ? years and I still don't have "access" to all the grounds and water necessary to do what I want.

Yeh. I make do with what I have but I could use far more spots, especially good water spots.

Joe Miano

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
survey

I voted for other, IMHO it's a good program. If your smart and imaginative you can train on a postage stamp. As far as throwers or a group, They are great but we all at sometime have done Len Ferucci marks, alot of work but it can be done. Talented, smart dogs yeah! they are great, but not necessary. As long as a dog loves it's job you can make the most of that dog. Oh yeah, being consistent with whatever you dois paramount

Angie

Nice survey Big Gue :wink:

K

·
0 Posts
Other: The ability to read a dog and design a good training program for that dog.

I know some trialers, who have been very successful, even at the national level, without technical water.

I think all of the other stuff is very very important and they're relatively equal to one another.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I voted well bred dog.

Without a good foundation you really don't have much.

It would be like building a multi-million dollar home on the sand.

·
Registered
323 Posts
What a cool question!

I believe that OTHER is the most important

ALL of these go together. But Shayne makes a Valid point, Dedication is important because it motivates you to find the other things. You could have all the time in the world, the best dog, great water, good training group and still find an excuse to be lazy and not go train or train half assed. I also think that an understanding family that shares your dream can give a big boost as well.

Cray

·
Registered
5 Posts
poll

ALL OF THE ABOVE...If I had to pick one....GROUNDS.
IMHO...One thing I've noticed is the one thing that seperates(there are acceptions) the successful trainers from the rest, access to grounds to teach "concepts". That is why I am in the process of purchasing 60 acres and designing a training facility(mainly water, sinse I have access to great land).

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
One thing I've noticed is the one thing that seperates(there are acceptions) the successful trainers from the rest, access to grounds to teach "concepts"
Ladygirl, can I come visit/train? See with enough time and dedication you can find grounds. If the dog isn't up to snuff there's a hundred litters in RFTN with potential. Training groups come and go. The good trialers remain. You got the time and dedication (they go hand in hand) you'll get the FC/AFC.

I personally think it's the old 90% perspiration and 10% inspiration thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
poll

I agree with the "time and dedication and 90% sweat rule". You get no where, CONSISTANTLY w/out it.
BUT, how much time/dedication/sweat can one put forth while working a 50-60 hour per week job? IF I read the poll right, it didn't say PRO trainers, it said trainers.
You would be welcome to come train, but Tn. is a long ways from Alaska.

·
Registered
813 Posts
So what your saying is if I have a ton of Time, Dedication, Superior Grounds, A Great Training Group, and a Fantastic Game Plan, that I can forgo the $1000 pup and buy from a backyard breeder who's puppy may have hip and eye problems (may not also) and still be ahead of the game?

I still say a well bred dog is the base, dedication will get you the rest.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Ken Newcomb said:
So what your saying is if I have a ton of Time, Dedication, Superior Grounds, A Great Training Group, and a Fantastic Game Plan, that I can forgo the $1000 pup and buy from a backyard breeder who's puppy may have hip and eye problems (may not also) and still be ahead of the game?

I still say a well bred dog is the base, dedication will get you the rest.
Many people have gone far without a well bred dog... tell me one who has made it without the other resources.

Shayne

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
I voted for the training group. Even with the best dog, grounds and all the time in the world, you can't replace or duplicate the things a great training group can bring. That's one of the primary reasons that bunch in Ronan Montana is so tough to beat. A good training group can make all the difference.

Bubba

1 - 20 of 59 Posts