RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 m/o that tore her ACL and im going to have it fixed on monday.
What is the recovery time and what are the chances she will do it again ? She is a hard charging high rolling little ball of fire and I have high hopes for now this happens. I need some answers from some of you that have had this happen to them before. Im am only a 3 year newbie to the sport and I need all the info I can get on her chances for recovery.

· Registered
2,074 Posts
Don't let anyone touch your dog that is not a board certified opthopedic surgeon! NOONE!
They tell me the procedure is very popular, and has been done thousands of times. Still it's quite invasive and problems can occur... but lets hope not.
Rehabilitation is the key to recovery. My dog is at www.vethab.com in Raleigh, NC and I am quite happy with my dogs recovery at this time, 3 weeks post operation.

· Registered
7 Posts
I have a 3.5y/o BLF that had a torn ACL ( or more properly CCL in dogs). She had TTA surgery (Tibial Tuberosity Advancement) by a board certified orthopedic surgeon (Dr. Terry Dew) on May 29th. She started putting a little weight on it the 2nd day after surgery. She was crated except for bathroom trips for the first week and yesterday we were to take her for 2 short, slow walks twice a day (1 to 2 blocks). She seems to be doing pretty well. She is usually in the crate, but sometimes we let her out (with a lead on) to lay on the carpet while we are watching TV. When she gets up, she limps a little bit for a few seconds, then walks pretty normally. We are quite pleased with the surgery so far, and we are encouraged with her progress. We do anticipicate a long and slow recovery as we do not want to rush things. Everthing I have read and everyone I have talked to says the key is to not overdo it too soon and to have a good rehab period.

Greg

· Registered
1,168 Posts
7 months old, I guess she will have the extrascapular repair, not the TPLO. Re-hab will be around 6 months of light walks, swimming gradually building. Goal is to have the dog weight bear comfortably, quickly as to not overcompensate to the good knee and blow it.

· Registered
5,026 Posts
If you want to have a TPLO done you'll just have to wait a few months until dogs bones are fully grown, usually at about 9 months.
I recommend you talk with Dr Gary Spodnick at Vet Speciality in Cary NC. He did the surgery on my 9 month old after he tore it at 6 months and as mentioned above Dr John Sherman of Vethab is the go to guy for the rehab.
Normally at about 12 weeks post op a dog that has had the TPLO surgery and professional rehab will be ready for training and competition without limitation.
The guys mentioned above are THE ones people in the know trust with very valuable dogs.

· Registered
5,026 Posts
Right, that's why I stated "9 months".
No big deal to hold off for a few months.

· Registered
1,288 Posts
Let's see, a seven month old, a nine month old and an eleven month old with torn CCL mentioned in just this small thread and folks don't believe there is a genetic predisposition to it????
Things that make you go Hmmm regards,
sherri

· Registered
22 Posts
My 8 year-old girl is starting her 3rd week of recovery. She was in a lot of pain the first fews days. She had a hard time squatting to pee, we had a few accidents in the crate… She just wouldn’t go outside because it hurt to squat. She was trying to put weight on the knee by the third day. We are having a hard time keeping this girl relaxed. She spends most of the day inside the house and is sleeping on the bedroom floor a night….She likes her rehab.

· Registered
181 Posts
Last Frontier Labs said:
Let's see, a seven month old, a nine month old and an eleven month old with torn CCL mentioned in just this small thread and folks don't believe there is a genetic predisposition to it????
Things that make you go Hmmm regards,
sherri
I dealt with the same line of dogs for almost 20 years and never had a problem. Added a new line about 5 years ago and bing, bang boom............. 3 in a row (all out of the added line). :evil:

· Registered
367 Posts
makes me wonder if we need an ACL database !!!!!!

G

·
DEMO said:
We are having a hard time keeping this girl relaxed. She spends most of the day inside the house and is sleeping on the bedroom floor a night….She likes her rehab.
acepromazine works really well Mine is in his 5 the week post op and I gave him half a pill every twelve hours until his fourth week. It didn't knock him out just relaxed him and made it easier on all of us.
Cindy

· Registered
2,074 Posts
In my reading about ACL tears, I've read more that one article that suggests that there may be something genetic in certain lines.
I've talked to the sire of my dog, "Trip", and he states it is the first time he has heard of a "Trip" puppy having an ACL problem.
In addition, there just does not appear to be a data base that has been set up to track this stuff, at this time.

G

·
acl

Several years ago I had a female that tore her cruciate at 5 years of age her brother also tore his at the same age both while retrieving a fun bumper.

· Registered
192 Posts
I am new to the these FT & HT games so pardon me for even posting on this thread. I am just curious.
Of the three young pups mentioned, is there a relationship in their lines? If not, I personally would doubt a genetic connection.
I wonder if our young pups are being ask to train harder, run faster and harder to get that win or title before they are physically ready or conditioned to do the job.
Not pointing fingers. Just wondering why we are seeing more and more posts discussing CCL in young dogs?

Georgia

G

·
GSmith said:
I am new to the these FT & HT games so pardon me for even posting on this thread. I am just curious.
Of the three young pups mentioned, is there a relationship in their lines? If not, I personally would doubt a genetic connection.
I wonder if our young pups are being ask to train harder, run faster and harder to get that win or title before they are physically ready or conditioned to do the job.
Not pointing fingers. Just wondering why we are seeing more and more posts discussing CCL in young dogs?

Georgia
On average, it tends to relate to the slope of the tibial plateau... The sharper the slope, the more likely an injury, on average... May be a combination of that plus the stuff we're asking them to do at a young age.

And you've "only" been here since February! :) Search back on ACL, CCL, TPLO and you'll find plenty of discussions over the last 4-5 years... And more before that when the board was in a different format.

-K

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
GSmith said:

Georgia
I can only answer for my puppy but she was never in training yet she has had the life of luxury laying on the couch eating and going out to use the bathroom. My wife and kids throw bumpers to her in the yard and thats all the work she gets. I believe in letting them be a puppy until they mature enough to start training. I am thinking more and more that there is some genetic problem here.

· Registered
1,168 Posts
On average, it tends to relate to the slope of the tibial plateau... The sharper the slope, the more likely an injury, on average... May be a combination of that plus the stuff we're asking them to do at a young age.

And you've "only" been here since February! Search back on ACL, CCL, TPLO and you'll find plenty of discussions
BINGO! tibial platuea angle is a geneticlly passed trait, that has been proved to drastically increase the chance of ruptute when the angle is greater than 21-23 degrees in labs. There has also been recent study to show that some fully ruptured CCL's studied under microscopes have showed premature breakdown at the tear sites, thus another genetic influence although cause is still unknwon. Also another recent study has shown that out of a large study group of CCL tears 65% have been females and 35% males, and researcher believe it to be a hormonal thing, but again no concreate proof. The other non-genetic thing is pushing young dog to derby listed and increased levels at a young age. Puppie's have extra joint laxity(slop) to conpenstae for thier extreeme growth in the 4-12 month range are are extra suseptable to tears becuase of it(about when we push hard). I personally will ONLY buy a puppy from a Dam/Sire who has blown a crusciate if the breeder knows the tibial platuea angle, and even then it better be one hell of a dog! Anybody know "Auggies" tibial plateau angle?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.