RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last May had 1st surgery-tumor removed on front paw-October had acl surgery on back leg. He was 9 years old very active even after the 1st surgery stayed active. Vet told me 6mo recovery for acl.
He appears to walk fine again full weight on all fours. But all he does is just lay around. I have two very active females and he wants nothing to do with them. He used to be the first one done with his food and now it takes him forever. I checked his mouth I don't see anything out of the ordinary. He's not loosing any weight he's just so lazy. Sometimes he doesn't even want to go out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
The obvious: Have you had him back to the vet recently and had a complete workup done, bloodwork, tick panel dependant on where you live, thyroid, etc?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Did the vet give you a physical therapy schedule? Perhaps start him on an (approved) excersize routine, to start slowly getting him back into shape. Sounds like he's been out of action for awhile, enjoying the comforts of home. You might need to get's his wind back up, and get those joints working properly again, water work works well for this. Might also try a glucosamine-chondrotin supplement (triple flex or something akin), @ 9 he might be having joint discomfort. I had an older girl who was slowing down , I added a half a pill of triple flex from Costco, to her food everyday. It really helped with her movement. I also added the triple flex to my diet, and my knee pain went away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Yes he's been back to vet and got a clean bill of health. He is on Glucosamine everyday. Water work is out of question live in WI and just had a dumping of 20 inches of snow. My vet recommended I run him in the deep snow to work the muscles and get the leg back into shape which is why I think his recovery is going so well. The cold snow keeps it from swelling up. My husband thinks he has the lazy winter blues - is this a possibilty?
Appreciate the help - Thanks!

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Yes he's been back to vet and got a clean bill of health. He is on Glucosamine everyday. Water work is out of question live in WI and just had a dumping of 20 inches of snow. My vet recommended I run him in the deep snow to work the muscles and get the leg back into shape which is why I think his recovery is going so well. The cold snow keeps it from swelling up. My husband thinks he has the lazy winter blues - is this a possibilty?
Appreciate the help - Thanks!
Did they do all the blood work? Tick, senior blood work and throid - not just the T4, but the bigger one?

This seems a little odd, still. If they did do all the blood work, then i would just start him on an exercise program.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts