RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Adequan injection question

Anybody have any experience injecting Adequan subcutaneously rather than intramuscularly? Know if it affects the efficacy? I've heard that it's being done off-label.

Yes, I know my vet could do the injection, however, I put IVs in people all day long and have good skills. Would rather inject subcutaneous due to the fact that I have a broken right wrist and it would be much easier for now.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Anybody have any experience injecting Adequan subcutaneously rather than intramuscularly? Know if it affects the efficacy? I've heard that it's being done off-label.

Yes, I know my vet could do the injection, however, I put IVs in people all day long and have good skills. Would rather inject subcutaneous due to the fact that I have a broken right wrist and it would be much easier for now.
Our 11 year old yellow female was prescribed Adequan in early 2015. I gave her the injections in the scruff of her neck weekly for several months.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
IM injection, in the back muscle is what I would do. Feel the spine tips, then the outside edge of the muscle (loin muscle), go between you two fingers, needle straight into muscle, 1 inch needle, all the way in, inject and remove. easy-peasy. To me is easier than holding a fold of skin with the other hand.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. With my wrist in a cast I don't want to take a chance hitting the sciatic nerve using a leg. Will do the loin injection.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
My vet said that studies have shown injecting it SQ is 95% as effective as IM. It's a helluva lot easier. Always done it that way, with great results.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I've been using it sub q on my dogs for years. On recommendations of my two vets.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It is fine to give SQ (subcutaneously), anecdotally and data, though not a ton. I have clients give it to their own dogs SQ and I do the same for my own dogs.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I will definitely have to try it..IM isn't that hard but sometimes my dog tries to pull away from it...as long as you don't get lumps wit SC and it works as good it might be worthwhile

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have been doing Sub Q for almost 2 years. Great results. I just pick up the skin at the back of the neck( makes a small tent), and inject. My dog does not feel it at all. My vet advised I do it this way and working for us.
Best of luck.
Kim

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
While we are on the subject of Adequan, sports vets are now recommending that it be given from the time a dog is very young, not just to senior dogs. It not only *treats* arthritis, studies in Europe have shown that it helps prevent it, too, if given from a young age.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
While we are on the subject of Adequan, sports vets are now recommending that it be given from the time a dog is very young, not just to senior dogs. It not only *treats* arthritis, studies in Europe have shown that it helps prevent it, too, if given from a young age.
Interesting ... will have to check that out.

Injection went well last night and hoping the little monkey gets some relief with the Adequan.

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
Define "very young", the dose, and the frequentcy of administration. Without some supporting evidence of efficacy and potential adverse effects I might proceed cautiously.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Dr. Laurie McCauley originally discussed this in a seminar, and then Dr. Robert Gillette and Dr. Rosemary LoGuidice, all of them diplomates of the VSMR, confirmed it independently during office visits. They suggest the same dose you would give s senior dog (my 70 pound boy gets 1.5 ml) given once a month, beginning at 6 months old.
According to Dr. LoGuidice, the only reason for not doing so would be either a dog with a genetic bleeding disorder such as Von Willebrands, or a dog who has allergies to beef.
Perhaps he is just genetically fortunate, but my boy, a deep chested dog who has been extremely active, including agility, at 10 years old has no arthritis at all. This was confirmed by a full series of front leg xrays, both legs, within the past 3 months. Made a believer out of me. He's had monthly Adequan injections since he was 3.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'll go against the consensus here. Adequan is labeled for IM injection. I know of no published studies that confirms similar absorption and efficacy following SQ injection, although it is anecdotally apparent that this route is safe. IM is my preferred route, although SQ is used in aggressive dogs and cats.

·
Registered
115 Posts
There was a study in 2008 on cat knees and found no significant difference between IM and SQ. Also, there have been some studies that seem to say that it can possibly slow cartilage loss and argue for its use as a preventative for normal wear-and-tear "arthritis". I've always told clients the idea is something like using synthetic oil in your car to lessen engine wear. If money is no object, and with the extreme conditions our guys endure, it seems like a reasonable thing to try.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts