RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pat Burns has a check list of advanced marking skills:

What is a "Bridge Bird"? I guess it is a water mark with re-entries? Thanks.

Pat Burns Advanced Marking Skills Checkist (https://www.theretrievernews.com/uploads/5/0/1/0/50103541/skillandtaskevaluation.pdf)
  • Check down on a short retired
  • Balance on a medium retired
  • Long retired Going the distance and fighting factors
  • Hip Pocket (Short or Long)
  • Momma-Poppas
  • Out-of-Order Flyer
  • Secondary Selection
  • Tight Marks
  • Stay in the water
  • Birds in the water
  • Big Water
  • Bridge Birds

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Pat Burns has a check list of advanced marking skills:

What is a "Bridge Bird"? I guess it is a water mark with re-entries? Thanks.

Pat Burns Advanced Marking Skills Checkist (https://www.theretrievernews.com/uploads/5/0/1/0/50103541/skillandtaskevaluation.pdf)
  • Check down on a short retired
  • Balance on a medium retired
  • Long retired Going the distance and fighting factors
  • Hip Pocket (Short or Long)
  • Momma-Poppas
  • Out-of-Order Flyer
  • Secondary Selection
  • Tight Marks
  • Stay in the water
  • Birds in the water
  • Big Water
  • Bridge Birds
It's interesting that 'Boat Birds' are not on this list. Don't see too many of those, anymore. Not sure why....-Paul

·
Registered
697 Posts
I don't know what Pat considers a bridge Mark but what we call Bridge Mark is a mark that's thrown where the true line to the bird comes close to an inviting **** or Dam (land bridge) separating two closely situated pieces of water

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
It is when the dog learns that the bird can be across the water or across the ditch. They do them in derbies too, or so I have heard. It isn’t overly complicated. I understand it.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Example: Stand in front of a channel. Move yourself to the right so you are no longer in front of the channel. Run dog from there. Bird boy on right side of channel throws bird across channel to land on the left side of channel. Send dog. If dog hunts land on right side of channel without finding bird across water, it has failed a bridge bird. It can also be more perpendicular and use a ditch, or an island.

·
Registered
12,482 Posts
It's interesting that 'Boat Birds' are not on this list. Don't see too many of those, anymore. Not sure why....-Paul
I would bet it's because not a lot of clubs drive around with two boats stashed in their equipment trailer like the club I am a member of does. or have a willing goofball who will row out with a bag of birds and stand up in a boat for a few hours tossing and shooting.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Ken 100 years ago I ran a master hunt test where you were in your boat throwing birds. Good times.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I would bet it's because not a lot of clubs drive around with two boats stashed in their equipment trailer like the club I am a member of does. or have a willing goofball who will row out with a bag of birds and stand up in a boat for a few hours tossing and shooting.
When judging at Empire last year we threw two retired boat birds in the Open as part of a triple. The club had two kayaks and two row boats. Logistically is was pretty hard to hide the boats yet still see the BB when they were throwing. The birds were held in grass. It was quite hard and fun to watch with lots of timber and a mix of swimming and lunging water.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Bridge birds can be hard in two ways. One is the thing being thrown across acts as a barrier between the gun and the bird if the dog ends up on the wrong side of it. They tend to not cross it easily and camp out by the gun. Throwing across a road or ditch can have a similar effect as throwing across a piece of water. The second way it can be hard is with the right wind the dog can run or swim under the arc without smelling the BB or the bird. It can be hard for the dog to get back to the fall area once they go deep, especially if they swim to the end of the water and get out and find foot scent from earlier running dogs. I’ve gone from a placement to a JAM on a bridge bird. Swam under the arc and hunted forever at the end of the pond.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts