RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attending my first EG seminar this month.(Actually my first dog seminar EVER) It is for basics, transition and advanced work. What should I be expecting? How do seminars all work? bear with me now, I don't know much :wink:

·
Registered
987 Posts
Expect to learn a LOT -- to get more info than you can even get from reading books or watching DVDs by the same person -- and in this case Evan is known as a great teacher -- as a great facilitator -- as a great instructor -- so all that he has written and put into his DVDs should be reinforced by the seminar -- I haven't had the pleasure of one of Evan's workshops -- but I've heard nothing but great things (as I've already stated) -- and Evan regularly posts here on RTF -- I hope to have the opportunity one day to take part myself in one of his seminars -- I'd read his books and take in his DVDs prior to the seminar so you're better acquainted with the material to be covered and the program Evan uses (and teaches) -- certainly I've learned this from the seminars I've taken part in (the more you know about the subject you're dealing with, the better are your chances of picking up even more info during the seminar)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Abby ,

You will get a lot of info and have fun I will be there and i will try not to forget the DVDs i promised you at Backwater .

You may be able to teach your Brother a thing or 2 after the seminar. :lol:

Jake

·
Registered
129 Posts
Dogtrainer4God said:
Attending my first EG seminar this month.(Actually my first dog seminar EVER) It is for basics, transition and advanced work. What should I be expecting? How do seminars all work? bear with me now, I don't know much :wink:
Ask God.

Just kidding don't jump me........lol.........couldn't resist. :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
Tall Gunner said:
Dogtrainer4God said:
Ask God.

THATS JUST PLAIN RUDE :roll:

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tall Gunner said:
Dogtrainer4God said:
Ask God.

Not funny :lol:

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
check171 said:
Abby ,

You will get a lot of info and have fun I will be there and i will try not to forget the DVDs i promised you at Backwater .

You may be able to teach your Brother a thing or 2 after the seminar. :lol:

Jake
I wondered what happened to those things that we supposed to be heading this way..... :lol: , no that's fine. Get them out when you have time......

·
Registered
101 Posts
Dogtrainer4God said:
I just coordinated one of his (basics->advanced) seminars a week and a half ago, so here are some of my observations about how to get the most of your time at the seminar.

Bring your dog and volunteer to demonstrate at the level of your dog, whether it is just basic obedience, force fetch, beginning handling, etc. Most people were reluctant to volunteer their dogs early on, however, as the week-end wore on, people were jumping at the chance to work their dogs.

More than likely, you will quickly realize that your standards are not high enough. Don't feel bad, just recognize this area of weakness and vow to improve. You will also realize that you need to revisit earlier steps. You may know this in your own mind, but having to demonstrate it in front of your peers and Evan will really cement this fact. Evan is very patient with both people and dogs and a great communicator.

Bring notebooks, video/tape recorders to record things. Jot down any question you may have and be prepared to ask them at the Q-A session each night.

If you have a Sunday training session, participate in that. Connect with others in your area that can help you in your training.

Be prepared to absorb the many useful drills that can be the foundation of your training. Amateurs that can't get out daily to train, have a hard time advancing their dogs just doing cold setups. Drills and drill type setups that reinforce a particular concept are invaluable ways to advance your dog.

You will not come away a better handler, but hopefully you will come away with more insight about dogs and dog training.

Most people came away with several key ideas:

1. Their basics were inadequate and steps needed to be either re-taught, taught for the first time, or just plain brushed up on.

2. Obedience is sorely lacking in the majority of dogs.

3. Evan presents many drills that are the foundation of a well trained dog. Doing a steady diet of cold setups for the amateur trainer is probably a very inefficient way of teaching your dog new skills and reinforcing known skills.

Last but not least, volunteer to help during the workshop, it will put you in the good graces of the coordinator :).

John Schmidt

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you John, this was EXACTLY what I was wanting. :D

Very appreciative,

Abby

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Where is this seminar?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Abby,

I haven't been to a seminar - but I know that you will have fun!

Have a great time!
Carrie

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Boondux said:
Abby,

I haven't been to a seminar - but I know that you will have fun!

Have a great time!
Carrie
Thank you!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts