RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this question has been asked quite a bit and really it depends on the situation and of course finances but I wanted to get some opinions here. I know the general consensus is "buy bigger than you think you need"

A little history, I started with a single BLM about a year ago mostly for hunting purposes with the intent of a hunt test here in there in the off season. Though I have gotten bit by the bug bad and dove deep into training to the point where I am even considering a career change into the dog world! Never the less I found myself with a 2 hole dog box and very quickly (once my wife got a GSP for NAVDHA work) upgraded to a 3 hole MTCK with full drawers, pressurized water etc etc. Very quickly I regretted rushing into a 3 hole with full drawers as the 3rd kennel became my storage for 2 milk grates of bumpers as my drawers are loaded with wingers, holding blinds, stickmen etc. The 8 month lead time for the kennel and things changed very quickly in my desire to go down this path with dogs. So my back seat has become the place for a cooler, EZ up, chairs etc. which is not ideal. Having zero bed space is also a bit of a challenge as it makes carrying other non training items a challenge like waders, decoys etc.

I also know that my wife is already discussing getting another GSP and I know without a doubt I will be getting a lab this winter for at least a total of 4 dogs. I really do not want to be in this situation again where I am very quickly upgrading to another setup as I am doing now. I also feel that showing up at a test with a 6 hole kennel with 2-4 dogs looks a little silly (who care what people think, but there is also a point where enough is enough and you need to draw the line on what you really need).

I also tow an atv for training quite regularly, which also lends to me to look towards a dual axel trailer with an atv pad. Though I have travelled behind those dog trailers and the smaller bumper pulls bounce like crazy and I am also not thrilled with the dogs being so low to the ground while stuck in traffic here in the North East.

Is the general preference to go with a topper as opposed to a trailer? A chassis mount is out of the question at this point. Then the next question is 4 holes or 6 holes. It does seem like toppers and trailers are readily available on the used market so Im not opposed to upgrading, but its all a timing, will one be available when I need one.

Happy to hear all opinions of options etc...

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
The disclaimer is that I have never owned a dog trailer but given your parameters my choice would be a gooseneck tandem axle 6 hole with an atv storage area. The obvious advantage is a towing vehicle that is not a single use vehicle while sacrificing easily getting in and out of tight places and parking at hotels, restaurants, etc. My long held belief is that no matter what you have for dog transportation you will always have one more dog than you have a place for.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts