RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't want to hijack the socialization thread. So here goes, my 3yr old female lab, who was raised since we got her around our other dogs and lot's of people around. Has recently gotten ahold of the neighbors cat(who was in our fenced yard so it's his own fault) and now my daughter's little dog which had to be put down. I don't know what to do in this situation, not sure if we can trust the dog anymore. She hasn't shown agression like this before. Thinking about putting her up for adoption by some one with out other dogs,
not sure if that is an option or not.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I would rule out health issues first....any kind of joint disease and thyroid (sent to Michigan or Dr Dodds)...would be at the top of my list

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
X2 on health stuff.

As a previous aggressive dog owner I was in a similar situation. My dog somehow got out of our fenced yard and attacked a neighbors dog and it had to be put down. I called rescues and they all told me that since my dog had killed another dog they couldn't take her. Basically it was a line that couldn't be crossed. Then animal control became involved and we had to put her to sleep. The lady from a pit bull rescue told me that I owed it to her to be there holding her when she went to sleep. I manned up and was there and then cried like a little girl.

I'm not saying this is what you have to do or it's going to happen. It's what happened to me. I couldn't ever really trust her again. I could go on, but if you do re-home her you have to be honest with people and tell them why so that they know. I know it sucks, but you got lucky it was your daughter's dog and not a neighbors.

Good luck and sorry I don't have better advice.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Oh no I am so sorry! Has the dog shown aggression (growling, snipping, posturing, etc) around other dogs or do you think it could just be prey drive (cat and little dog)? When did you start to notice the problems?

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I wouldn't want to give that dog to anyone. At best, I would get a behaviorist to look at the dog and evaluate it.

What breed of dog is it?

My feeling about any dog is that if it kills one cat it kills many and don't expect that to change.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I know of a couple of dogs that started showing aggression problems it ended up that they had brain tumors and had to be put down. You might want to have your vet check him out.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I'm not so sure my dogs wouldn't attack a cat. They chase bunnies, birds, squirrels, skunks, wounded geese bound to beat the heck out of them etc. Since I don't own or never introduced my dogs to cats, I wouldn't be surprised if they showed aggression on their first encounter.

I agree now that it's been able to attack one that it will be hard to stop it, but if it has been fine with dog's and people I don't know if I'd make the jump that it will suddenly start attacking them too.

·
Registered
677 Posts
could be pregnant ?.. happen to me, was up in alaska fishing, neighbors dog jumped my lab. wife called said young dog almost killed older dog. vet patched up older dog told wife we would have to get rid of one of he dogs. and that the younger dog was NOT pregnant. I got a cattle prod the one that buzzes. if one of the dogs looked at the other aggressively I let them both have it good. They wouldn't look at each other for 2 months.
after the youner one had the mutts they were back to being buds. Vet was wrong all the way around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts