RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has purchased a trailer from Ainley recently. I did not end up buying the Old South trailer because of issues of false corners in the boxes and difficulty cleaning etc.. Ainley call Great me a price on a four hole oversized boxes 15 inch breezway bearing lights battery and inverter etc. it took quite a bit of back-and-forth as they do not have a price list or at least they do not give you one

So I settled on the trailer and asked to send me a new invoice with the extras added and ask how I would give deposit payment. That was five days ago. They replied it would be a bit that they had customers all week next week like this week. They are out approximately 18 months and recently a disclaimer that your price will be the price in affect at the time that they build your trailer. Even though you are putting a deposit on a set price. This in itself is not the most comfortable thing for me. Mountaintop locks you in at the price at the time of deposit which would be customary.

I would think that something as simple as a invoice could be sent out right away being as the only changes are accessories approximately four of them and should take 10 min tops. Am i wrong?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Your expectations are not unreasonable and if they are not met to your satisfaction then you could choose another manufacturer.

BUT......

-In today's inflationary environment one might consider that if a provider prices a product to be provided in 18 months with a "firm" price, then they are likely inferring the inflation rate we've experienced in the last 2 years over the next 18 months to arrive at a price that will ensure they do not go broke . Conversely, if we have true recession and prices for stainless, aluminum, parts and pieces fall or remain constant, then I bet(based on my experience with them) you will get a better price from Mrs. Ainley in 18 months than you would have today.

-When you go to pick up your new trailer in 18 months think how wonderful your experience may likely be when Mrs. Jane and Chad are spending their time on you, demonstrating your trailer's features and benefits and ensuring it is working properly with your tow vehicle.......rather than spending time generating quotes and estimates for someone that is coming 18 months from now.

Artists typically run their businesses differently than many of the rest of us.

·
Registered
10,590 Posts
Your expectations are not unreasonable and if they are not met to your satisfaction then you could choose another manufacturer.

BUT......

-In today's inflationary environment one might consider that if a provider prices a product to be provided in 18 months with a "firm" price, then they are likely inferring the inflation rate we've experienced in the last 2 years over the next 18 months to arrive at a price that will ensure they do not go broke . Conversely, if we have true recession and prices for stainless, aluminum, parts and pieces fall or remain constant, then I bet(based on my experience with them) you will get a better price from Mrs. Ainley in 18 months than you would have today.

-When you go to pick up your new trailer in 18 months think how wonderful your experience may likely be when Mrs. Jane and Chad are spending their time on you, demonstrating your trailer's features and benefits and ensuring it is working properly with your tow vehicle.......rather than spending time generating quotes and estimates for someone that is coming 18 months from now.

Artists typically run their businesses differently than many of the rest of us.
Good analogy John, this is not a big corporation it’s a small family owned business that has been hugely successful because they provide what people want at a competitive price in a timely manner. It is their fault that they are 18 months behind because they have been so successful at doing just that.

Reactions: drunkenpoacher

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
In this economy price quotes on materials like aluminum, stainless steel, welding consumables, etc. are good for one day. Sometimes a price quoted in the morning is only good until noon.
As mentioned, there is good reason people are willing to wait 18 months for products made by Jane, Chad and the crew.
Great people making great products.

A word of advice, annoy the folks at Ainley and you can forget about getting anything at all in the next 18 months or 18 years.

Reactions: EdA

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In this economy price quotes on materials like aluminum, stainless steel, welding consumables, etc. are good for one day. Sometimes a price quoted in the morning is only good until noon.
As mentioned, there is good reason people are willing to wait 18 months for products made by Jane, Chad and the crew.

A word of advice, annoy the folks at Ainley and you can forget about getting anything at all in the next 18 months or 18 years.
If I have been nothing but polite . If inquiring about the company's products and asking for a invoice and form of payment to send a deposit is annoying them Then I'm amazed

·
Registered
10,099 Posts

2 years ago Alcoa stock sold for under $6/share. I year later for $36, a year after that $96.
It's called economics & demand. People don't stay in business who don't understand that.

Reactions: drunkenpoacher

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
I have been an Ainley customer for over two decades. High quality product for reasonable price, backed by excellent customer service.

Not unlike many small businesses they have a hard time attracting workers, who are willing to work, and pay attention to detail. As a result - even with established customers - the time line has been pushed out to 18 months or more. The reason that you are not getting the attention you want is because they are dealing with customers who are in the pipeline. If you are patient, you will get in the pipeline. Once you get in the pipeline, you will be given a rough estimate of the cost and asked for a deposit. The price is likely to increase, not decrease because: 1) the cost of raw materials is increasing; and 2) the cost of transporting those materials is increasing.

If you can't deal with that uncertainty, then you need to spend your money elsewhere.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would encourage you to hang in there and you will be rewarded with a first class product. I have also purchased muliple boxes from Jane and Chad over the past 20+ years (not because they didn't last but because my needs changed and I continued to upgrade). They are excellent people but I know they are faced with a difficult economy of rising input costs and they are attempting to continue to produce a product you will be proud to own for a lifetime. Pretty hard to set a price on a product 18 months into the future when you may or may not be able to get the materials to build it and you're facing huge input cost increases. Jane has always been a straight-shooter and not afraid to tell it like it is - I would trust her to treat you right. They are in it for the long haul.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They have a great reputation or i wouldn't have considered spending my money with them.
I have been an Ainley customer for over two decades. High quality product for reasonable price, backed by excellent customer service.

Not unlike many small businesses they have a hard time attracting workers, who are willing to work, and pay attention to detail. As a result - even with established customers - the time line has been pushed out to 18 months or more. The reason that you are not getting the attention you want is because they are dealing with customers who are in the pipeline. If you are patient, you will get in the pipeline. Once you get in the pipeline, you will be given a rough estimate of the cost and asked for a deposit. The price is likely to increase, not decrease because: 1) the cost of raw materials is increasing; and 2) the cost of transporting those materials is increasing.

If you can't deal with that uncertainty, then you need to spend your money elsewhere.
They have a Great Reputation. I already have the price i just need a new invoice with some extras that were added to the estimate. The pricing policy just started in Feb so that is new and not customary. Mountain Top locks you in price after deposit you are locked in

i Only mention that as they are one of the top 3 manufacturers and have figured out a way to hold the price as invoiced even with todays Volatile Market conditions. I am aware of their new Pricy Policy dosent mean i am thrilled about it

Im Patiently waiting

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
Mountain Top locks you in price after deposit you are locked in
If it's that important to you, get a Mountain Top. Ainley is not going to lock in the price.

Reactions: Nick Toti

·
Registered
10,099 Posts
The names escape me but a young Wall Streeter asked JP Morgan
"When will I know if I can afford a yacht". The reply "When you don't
need to ask."

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
The names escape me but a young Wall Streeter asked JP Morgan
"When will I know if I can afford a yacht". The reply "When you don't
need to ask."
Marv, in your mineral wealth affiliation with Messrs. Morgan, Carnegie and Charles Martin Hunt, and of course fin de siecle field trial dogs, would you define the Ainley product as a canine land yacht?

Digging on all the testimonials, alas, as a po' bloke who still has to ask -

MG

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would encourage you to hang in there and you will be rewarded with a first class product. I have also purchased muliple boxes from Jane and Chad over the past 20+ years (not because they didn't last but because my needs changed and I continued to upgrade). They are excellent people but I know they are faced with a difficult economy of rising input costs and they are attempting to continue to produce a product you will be proud to own for a lifetime. Pretty hard to set a price on a product 18 months into the future when you may or may not be able to get the materials to build it and you're facing huge input cost increases. Jane has always been a straight-shooter and not afraid to tell it like it is - I would trust her to treat you right. They are in it for the long haul.
If it's that important to you, get a Mountain Top. Ainley is not going to lock in the price.
Ted i realize at the present time they are not. But they have for the last 20 yrs. How do you know what they will do and wont do? You on the Board of directors? Like i said im patiently waiting

·
Registered
10,099 Posts
Marv, in your mineral wealth affiliation with Messrs. Morgan, Carnegie and Charles Martin Hunt, and of course fin de siecle field trial dogs, would you define the Ainley product as a canine land yacht?

Digging on all the testimonials, alas, as a po' bloke who still has to ask -

MG
I would say yes. Folks drive around with very good dogs, a topper & a couple
of plastic crates & win a lot. Others drive a fancy dog box decorated truck with
a bunch of dogs they couldn't get their original purchase price back if they sold.

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
Ted i realize at the present time they are not. But they have for the last 20 yrs. How do you know what they will do and wont do? You on the Board of directors? Like i said im patiently waiting
I know because - unlike you - I talk to Jane and Chad regularly.

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
I know because - unlike you - I talk to Jane and Chad regularly.
Jane is one of my all-time favorite people to talk to.
Let me ask you this Ted, have you ever seen Chad when he wasn’t working? I haven’t.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Wondering if anyone has purchased a trailer from Ainley recently. I did not end up buying the Old South trailer because of issues of false corners in the boxes and difficulty cleaning etc.. Ainley call Great me a price on a four hole oversized boxes 15 inch breezway bearing lights battery and inverter etc. it took quite a bit of back-and-forth as they do not have a price list or at least they do not give you one

So I settled on the trailer and asked to send me a new invoice with the extras added and ask how I would give deposit payment. That was five days ago. They replied it would be a bit that they had customers all week next week like this week. They are out approximately 18 months and recently a disclaimer that your price will be the price in affect at the time that they build your trailer. Even though you are putting a deposit on a set price. This in itself is not the most comfortable thing for me. Mountaintop locks you in at the price at the time of deposit which would be customary.

I would think that something as simple as a invoice could be sent out right away being as the only changes are accessories approximately four of them and should take 10 min tops. Am i wrong?

thanks in advance
Ainley is a 1st class operation ran by just a few people and they still hold quality as a high priority(which is uncommon these days). They have been producing the best of the best, for the best, for decades. If you have an issue with the terms there are other suppliers around, although none rival them. If you're looking for cheap and speedy take a look elsewhere. I've owned 3 Ainley boxes over the last decade and they are likely the best in quality and value of ANYTHING I've purchased, dog and not dog related.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have owned my Ainley box for 7-8 years. I probably have received more customer service than the price I payed for it ! Name a company that phone calls or emails are answered quickly and accurately.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I know it can be a little unnerving, but trust those on this board, it’s worth the wait. I’m driving to Ainley next week to pick up my new 3-hole slide in. I ordered it last fall, so I got a little lucky getting it this early. You won’t find better group than Chad, Jane, and crew. Send them the deposit. You won’t regret it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts