RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a dump question but I have always shipped dogs via ground. I'm considering flying my dog with me for a hunt next year (Texas to Idaho). It will obviously be very cold out, much less at 10k feet. I'm assuming the cargo areas of most plane's are climate controlled?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yes the cargo bins on most commercial aircraft are climate controlled. Some on here will say only Continental has temp controlled cargo but that's not true since Delta does as well. It's really a function of he aircraft manufacturer. Boeing, Airbus, and Mcdonnel Douglas aircraft will provide comfortable transportation. I'm sure others do as well but I don't have personal experience to comment. Both Delta and Continental have temp controlled transfer facilities at the hubs. Many regional jets are not however and will not accept live cargo. For the least possible chance of disruption fly out on the EARLIEST available flights and use as few connections as possible.

I am an airline pilot for a major airline and I promise you that we take live cargo very seriously. Travelling with a pet can be stressful and there is risk involved albeit very small. Don't be afraid to ask a flight attendant if you would like to speak to the pilots before the flight. When I know there is live cargo on board I will try to go outside personally to ensure proper loading occurs and will try to relay this information to the dog owner personally if time permits. If not I'll send a message to you through the flight attendant.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Scott. That's very reassuring information. For those of us who have never flown a pet before it can be a bit nerve racking to say the least. Especially for those of us who love their dog too much (if there is such a thing!!!).

Thanks again!!!!

Anyone else have any suggestions or helpful hints?

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
my suggestion would be to drive.....with all the equipment you will need for a waterfowl hunt, it will be less nerve racking on you and the dog...I made the drive from Bonham Tx to Boise ( DFW- OKC-ALBQ- Durango- Moab-SLC-Boise)..good roads all the way even in winter (snowed outside of Ogden UT)

would also depend on what part of Idaho you are hunting....it might be easier to fly into SLC and drive in from there since there are more non stop flights from SLC to major cities in TX

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bon- That was the plan. Fly direct to SLC and then drive up in a rental. Planning to hunt the ashton and island park area with a friend who lives there. Luckily, he can provide most if not all of the gear. My time frame is limited or would probably consider driving more heavily.

Did you hunt while in Boise? If so, how was it?

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Bon- That was the plan. Fly direct to SLC and then drive up in a rental. Planning to hunt the ashton and island park area with a friend who lives there. Luckily, he can provide most if not all of the gear. My time frame is limited or would probably consider driving more heavily.

There are more geese inside the city limits of Boise than outside,at some parks and schools they are a nuisance...I hunted near Payette/Fruitland just a couple of miles from the FT grounds just off the river...but the best goose hunting was about an hour from Boise on some private property that belonged to one of my brother's patients...it was a cut corn field that the birds would not leave:D

there are a lot of geese in the area you are hunting,saw them all along the interstate between I Falls and Pocatello not too far from the FT grounds in Rigby and the NWR

·
Registered
2,577 Posts

We had a mild winter last season. Hopefully that will happen again this year. Enjoy your stay. I really believe you will like the area.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
We had a mild winter last season. Hopefully that will happen again this year.
No offense but the hunting season was horrible last year because the birds never appeared, let it snow and freeze, makes them easier to find :D:D

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
No offense but the hunting season was horrible last year because the birds never appeared, let it snow and freeze, makes them easier to find :D:D
None taken. It really depends on where and being on the spot. The snake can hoard many birds on the east side. I believe he will be in the area, especially if the home boy knows where they are.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hopefully my guys will come through. The pictures they send back each year (mountains of mallards) have got me chomping at the bit....... Would love for the dog to experience it with me as well.... We shall see.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts