RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering the differences in hunt tests. I not sure what ukc calls their test. I'm a hunter wanting to use hunt test for training aid and fun times. Would one benefit me better than another?Are the levels of test the same? Do retriever clubs go all one way or another? I live in south central Wi. Are there more tests of one or the other around? DO the comparing titles mean as much in the dog world? Thanks in advance for all your help!
wingman

·
Registered
613 Posts
Wingman,

The HRC (Hunting Retriever Club) operates under the UKC. Since you're a hunter I think you would find an HRC test very enjoyable and beneficial, not that and AKC hunt test wouldn't be it's just that in an HRC hunt test the handler actually fires blanks at each bird. In addition the handler and the gallery is asked to dress in complete camouflage to better simulate the hunting atmosphere, these are just couple of the differences.

I run my dogs in both AKC and UKC, in my area there are far more AKC tests than there are UKC tests, hopefully that's changing.

In my experience clubs usually do go one way or the other. Each test has their pros and cons and no way am I going to get into that. I can tell you that I personally use the entry level HRC tests to gauge where my dogs are prior to running the AKC stakes. For example, I'll run a seasoned HRC test prior to running an AKC senior test.

You shouldn't have an issue finding several tests from both the AKC and UKC in your area.

PS,
I also register my dogs in both the UKC and the AKC.

Hope this helps a little.

Team A.

·
Registered
946 Posts
The main difference between the tests is that in AKC you never fire a gun or handle a real gun. in HRC you will be required to fire a real gun (with primer shells) in the upper levels. Both use dead birds. AKC requires Live flyers in upper levels UKC prohibits live flyers in the lowest level. A steady dog and gun safety are really important in HRC/UKC. UKC is easier in the lower level. But can be easier or harder in the upper depending on your dog.
Both of them would benefit you. There is no reason to not do both if you are a hunter.
Both the upper level titles mean different things in different parts of the country, not becausse the tests are different but because some parts of the country just do not have a large UKC base. Lately the AKC Master National has had a higher pass rate (50%) than UKC/HRC Grand (20%). The UKC/HRC also has a seperate Upland test that AKC does not have for retrievers. So if you want to do an Upland Test you need to do UKC/HRC.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Run 'em both! It will be good for you and the dog. ;-)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Go to this site http://www.huntingretrieverclub.org/ and click on Hunt Test Information located on the right side. The rules are displayed to help you know what is expected of you and your dog.

The concept of HRC is "Conceived by Hunters For Hunters". The idea is to have a dog that you can take to any geographical location and enjoy a days hunt with your dog.

You must shoulder the gun (loaded with poppers) and fire when the bird reaches the top of the arc. The handler may be failed for gun safety. All of the Judges, God Bless them, must be hunters and have passed a Hunters Safety Course.

HRC is very family oriented and believes in bringing our children along to be safe and happy hunters. They are our future. Find a test and introduce yourself and hang on. You will quickly become a member of the family. IT'S FUN.

The AKC is also a nice venue but some of the judges are not hunters and don't understand how to set up a test and what is involved regarding weather conditions. A test can change from the morning to the afternoon for the handlers and the wind, sun and rain can completely change the original idea. Some of the AKC tets I have seen lately are almost 'mini' field trials so you really do want your dog to be prepared.

Which every one or both organizations are FUN and meant to prepare you and your dog for the enjoyment we find in our dogs and hunting.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I dont think the tone of this thread is going anywhere negative. There really shouldnt be a competition between the venues. I run both and enjoy both for different reasons. If I was strictly a hunter and wanted to just make a better hunting dog I might just do HRC. Shooting at the line brings about a number of issues for some dogs. Other dogs might not have trouble transitioninig back and forth. We are all dog people and should take advantage of what we have offered. If there was NAHRA here I would probably try that.

·
Registered
395 Posts
And the reasons why a UKC hunt test is geared more towards hunters than an AKC test is...because...people wear camo, you hold a real gun, and the judges hunt? Really?

·
Registered
360 Posts
When you are hunting in real life you dont have a duck call and shot in field to get dogs attention.

·
Registered
46 Posts
http://www.grca.org/events/field/hunt_tests.html

Here is a chart that compares several of the games.

In central Iowa we have NAHRA and AKC close by. I have done both and the NAHRA guys seem to be a little friendlier and willing to help, not that there aren't turds in both.

NAHRA doesn't have a competitive aspect to it so it is not you against me. AKC Hunt tests are competitive either but there is the field trial side that gets some people a little less likely to help the competition.

I am looking into the HRC game but there is nothing close for us in central Iowa.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
It is impossible to REALLY simulate a duck hunt.

I've never shot a duck while sitting on a bucket in a hay field.

I've never shot a duck with a wooden gun in a hay field.

Both venues can be fun. A lot of which venue you prefer might have to do with the people in your local clubs. My advice would be to check out both. You might end up enjoying both, and both groups of people, equally. Or, you might find yourself gravitating to one over the other.

My ONLY criticism of HRC is that I think they take the clothing rule a little too far. I believe the rules say "hunting atire" but that's kind of subjective and I've seen that interpreted as camo. I've seen people have to change out of jeans or khaki pants before being allowed to run. I can't speak for anyone else, but I've spent plenty of mornings in a Louisiana goose pit wearing jeans and I've had many dove hunts where I've worn them as well.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
ran both like hrc better my .02...
X2 but NARHA is my Favorite, cuz they got upland hunting in every test

All the different organization have +'s / -'s no-ones hits it completely right yet. The different aspect about HRC is firing the gun, something I'd love to see in all venues, NARHA-AKC you can use a real gun or a stick, NAHRA lets you use your own gun if you want, but you don't get to fire it. NARHA"s got sit to flush and trailing. AKC-NARHA require live flyers HRC doesn't, although I'm starting to see more Flyers at HRC tests. HRC doesn't have call backs, so if you pay you get to play all day. HRC and NAHRA have # of entry cut offs, which are nice make the whole atmosphere calmer as they are not rushed for time. HRC-NARHA got 4 divisions, they have one inbtw JH &SH w multiple marks, and other hunting aspects but the dog doesn't have to be able to run blinds. HRC-NAHRA have one day test even at the upper level, AKC master is a 2 days test.

So the dream venue would have real gun with firing, live flyers, an upland portion, a one day test and no call backs. (Wait isn't that called Hunting;), alas that doesn't go year round :( ). Still When they come up with a fully inclusive venue, I might be able to give up the others, until then I'll just have to continue running them all. Well as long as I can afford it ;)

·
Registered
317 Posts
This topic has to be in the TOP 5 most beaten-up discussions on RTF.

Wingman – do a search and you’ll find all your answers and more on the topic than you’ll want to read. Most people on here don’t care what venue you run as it should be.

Just have fun.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I've started a new venue RNRC, Red Neck Retriever Club. We all meet at the cabin drink lots of beer, either grill boil or fry something, and tell lies about our dogs.

Haven't had a dog fail one of our test yet. Try it alot less drama than those other test.:p

·
Registered
416 Posts
And the reasons why a UKC hunt test is geared more towards hunters than an AKC test is...because...people wear camo, you hold a real gun, and the judges hunt? Really?
Every time I go hunting, I sit the dog next to me and signal to my hunting buddy that I am ready, then a duck call comes from the field, a duck is thrown from the field and shot comes from the field in the same spot. All I have to do is stand there. Yep that is geared towards hunting.

At least in HRC you blow a duck call and shot a real gun

Yes they are both called Hunt Test and No you can never totally simulate a REAL Duck hunt, BUT Yes HRC does do a better job at pretending to be a real duck hunt.

Run them both and have fun.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I've started a new venue RNRC, Red Neck Retriever Club. We all meet at the cabin drink lots of beer, either grill boil or fry something, and tell lies about our dogs.

Haven't had a dog fail one of our test yet. Try it alot less drama than those other test.:p
Where can I pick up my RNRC entry form? ;)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Every time I go hunting, I sit the dog next to me and signal to my hunting buddy that I am ready, then a duck call comes from the field, a duck is thrown from the field and shot comes from the field in the same spot. All I have to do is stand there. Yep that is geared towards hunting.

At least in HRC you blow a duck call and shot a real gun

Yes they are both called Hunt Test and No you can never totally simulate a REAL Duck hunt, BUT Yes HRC does do a better job at pretending to be a real duck hunt.

Run them both and have fun.
hahaha

Lets face it a "real" duck hunt isn't hard, don't take much of a dog to see and get a duck floating 40 yards out in a pond. That's why I prefer AKC tests. More of a challenge.

Big ole fan for the fire.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
My real duck hunts include a lot of coffee, sitting, lies and missed shots.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
hahaha

Lets face it a "real" duck hunt isn't hard, don't take much of a dog to see and get a duck floating 40 yards out in a pond. That's why I prefer AKC tests. More of a challenge.

Big ole fan for the fire.
Well Gavin,

Come run the Grand in Tulsa this fall if you want your challenge or are you scared?

Also last couple HRC tests, I have yet to find a duck floating at 40 yds in finished.

Bigger ole fan for the fire

1 - 20 of 171 Posts