RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

With a new pup, where do you start running a new pup in AKC hunt tests as a serious amature trainer?

• Junior Hunt Tests to get our feet wet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Junior Test until the JR Title

• Sr Hunt Tests (Juniors are for Newbies and can casue a pup to become Test Wise)

• Master Hunter

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a new pup, where do you start running a new pup in AKC hunt tests as a serious amature trainer?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
"It Depends"

Most of the time the "serious amatuer trainers" that I know wait until the dog is in the upper reaches of training, way beyond JH level stuff but I've seen them run a few JH tests just to be able to have a lead on the dog in a test situation to have a little more control on the first couple of tries for that dog.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought I would stir the pot and see how others approach running hunt tests.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
senior. i want my dogs to be able to handle before i put them in a test situation.-paul

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Ditto what Paul said, and add to that a trainability level that can keep a dog under control in "hunting" conditions.

Keith Griffith

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
I picked number 1. Butttttt the dog should be trained to the senior level before you ever consider running. Always as a newby start at the lower levels, but make sure your dog is trained way past that level.

Angie

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
It is a HUNT test.
I would not hunt with a dog that could not handle. So I likewise would not test the dog's hunting ability.

Tim

K

·
0 Posts
My local guru that I train with told me since it was my first dog that I've trained or run to start in the Junior. My dog just got his JH title yesterday.

I was told to run the Junior but train for the Senior. Thats what I've done. I think as a newbie to the test game the Junior is a great place for handlers to learn the ropes more than the dogs. My next dog I'll start as a Senior because I'm more experienced at Hunt tests, the dogs usually do better than me anyway.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Will have pup entering JH test later this year but, will start adding elements that are required at the SH level before he runs a JH test.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It really doesn't matter where you start at as long as you are willing to pick up you dog the minute that they start to defy you. Don't wait too long thinking you might get a ribbon. I see dog ruined every hunt test by amature that are begging there dogs to do the work. If you dog isn't doing the work go get em and try another day. Don't get mad at the dog in most cases people just didn't have the dog ready. Go home and train more.

I agree that you should have you dog more that ready to do the level of work that you are entered. If you aren't sure you dog can do the work then you should not have entered that test.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts