RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that ship puppies regularly, or have them shipped, what is the standard practice - do you send papers along with the puppy or mail them later?

I have had two AKC dogs shipped to me this year - both sent papers at a later date in the mail. One set of papers was received in a timely manner and the other was apparently lost in the mail, and now I have been waiting for the breeder to order a duplicate set which seems to be a long time coming.

So, for future reference I am wondering if buyers request papers be sent first, or attached to the crate, or if most are just sent out after the puppy has arrived?

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I've always mailed them separately.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hi Erin,

I send the registration paperwork along with the guarantee/executed contract separately, as well...usually right after payment in full.

Sarita

·
Registered
918 Posts
Yep, Sarita has a lot of knowledge in the area of puppies having bred/owned/trained 2 of her own AFC's !!!! CONGRATULATIONS BTW

Paperwork follows the puppy AFTER the payment and AFTER the check clears the bank :)

I expect that when I buy a pup and do the same when selling one.

Kris

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I do both. I send a copy of as much as I have with the dog in an envelope taped to the crate. I send the official copy by registered mail or UPS.

Eric

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. The check cleared long before the pup was sent and the puppy was shipped to me in June, so you can see I am getting a little anxious about the absence of paperwork.

Now, supposing that the papers don't show up in the next little while, is there anything I can do on my end to get some sent directly to me? I have already forwarded the 'duplicate registration application' form to the breeder, which seems straightforward enough to fill out... but is there is something "I" can do? I would feel better if I could get the ball rolling. I am told that the litter was registered and the other puppy people have all received their applications.....

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Thanks for the info. The check cleared long before the pup was sent and the puppy was shipped to me in June, so you can see I am getting a little anxious about the absence of paperwork.

Now, supposing that the papers don't show up in the next little while, is there anything I can do on my end to get some sent directly to me? I have already forwarded the 'duplicate registration application' form to the breeder, which seems straightforward enough to fill out... but is there is something "I" can do? I would feel better if I could get the ball rolling. I am told that the litter was registered and the other puppy people have all received their applications.....
You can't do anything without involvement of the breeder. If the breeder registered the litter online, the breeder can retrieve the PIN and full registration code for your pup on lone and you can then register on line without ever needing the actual registration form.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Jeff. That would be super if that's the case!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I went through this last year with a pup I bought. It took many months and many phone calls before I finally got her AKC papers. Assuming you have a bill of sale which shows the registration numbers and names of the parents, call the AKC yourself. They’ll be able to tell you the status of the litter’s registration, including whether or not any other pups from the litter have been registered by their new owners.

I was able to nip a lot of untrue excuses in the bud (“the AKC hasn’t sent the papers”, “they must be lost, but I’ve applied for duplicates”, etc, etc) when I could respond that I had just gotten off the phone with the AKC who had told me differently.

I finally gave the breeder a date upon which I would file a written complaint with the AKC, and lo and behold I had her papers within a day or two of that date.

AKC Operations Center
8051 Arco Corporate Drive, Suite 100
Raleigh, NC 27617-3390
Telephone: 919.233.9767
Office Hours: 8:15 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. ET
Customer Service Hours:
8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. ET
weekdays (Monday - Friday) except holidays

Here’s the link to the AKC’s regulations for buying and selling AKC registrable pups.

http://www.akc.org/reg/about.cfm

The excerpt that pertains to your question follows:

Papers and Identification

When you buy a dog represented as AKC registrable, you should receive an AKC Dog Registration Application form properly filled out by the seller. When you complete your portion and submit it with the proper fee, this form will enable you to register the dog. When the application has been processed, you will receive an AKC Registration Certificate.

Under AKC Rules, any person who sells dogs represented as AKC registrable, must maintain records that make it possible to give full identifying information with every dog delivered even though AKC "papers" are not yet available. Do not accept a promise of later identification.

The Rules and Regulations of the American Kennel Club stipulate that whenever someone sells or delivers a dog registrable with AKC, the dog must be identified by providing the buyer with a properly completed AKC Dog Registration Application for a dog not yet individually registered or a properly completed AKC Registration Certificate for a registered dog. If neither of these is available, the person delivering or shipping the dog must furnish the person acquiring the dog with a bill of sale or written statement, signed by the seller, giving all of the identifying information listed below.

For a Dog Not Yet Individually Registered
Breed
Sex and color and markings
Date of birth
Litter number (when available)
Names and numbers of sire and dam
Name of breeder
Date sold or delivered

For a Registered Dog
Breed
Registered name
Registration number
Date sold or delivered

This identifying information must be supplied with the dog even though AKC papers are not yet available, and even to a person who takes the dog only for resale as an agent or on consignment, and the same information must be passed on by him when he disposes of it. When you do receive the properly completed AKC registration papers, verify the papers against your bill of sale to ensure that all the information is correct. Please be advised that a dog will not be registered or transferred without the proper AKC registration papers.
If you are buying a dog that is supposed to be registrable with the AKC you should realize it is your responsibility to obtain complete identification of the dog or you should not buy the dog. Failure to get AKC "registration papers" causes more grief for buyers of purebred registrable dogs than any other problem except sickness. It has long been common practice to explain the inability saying "AKC hasn't sent the papers yet." The essence of this and similar excuses is that because the American Kennel Club is at fault, papers are not available. The fact is that the processing of any AKC registration item takes approximately three weeks. If a breeder is doing his paperwork in a regular, careful manner, there is ample time to obtain the necessary "papers" from AKC prior to the sale of any puppy. When "papers" are not available at the time of delivery, it is a red-flag warning sign to exercise extreme caution.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts