RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can someone explain to this HRC guy what is meant by a walk-up mark? I hope to run some AKC tests in the next year or so and have heard this term thrown around a little, but it doesn't compute through my HRC filter. In HRC walk-up means a bird thrown while the dog is walking at heel as if the handler and dog were sneaking up on sitting birds. When the bird comes out, HRC handlers are allowed to blow a sit whistle or say sit, then shoulder and shoot at the bird. It is a test for steadiness and the dog must remain steady until sent to retrieve the bird. The bird is not considered a mark and handling to pick it up is basically not judged or considered. The dog must retrieve it, but is not evaluated on its marking ability on this bird.

From what I hear/read, though, it sounds as if the AKC folks tend to throw one of their marks in a multiple marking scenario as a walk-up. How does this look? Is it thrown with dog walking at heel? Are dog and handler moving when this bird is thrown? Do they continue moving or stop to mark the bird? Does the dog proceed after the bird is thrown to a "line" where the rest of the marks are seen from or are the rest of the marks seen from wherever dog and handler were when the walk-up came out? Is the walk-up bird retrieved first and then the rest of the marks are thrown or is it part of the multiple? I am confident that there are multiple ways of doing it and working it into different scenarios, but I wondered if someone could clarify this terminology for me.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just went through 4 seniors in AKC. I also had done HRC first... what they did was do one of the doubles as a walk up... in the 4 that I ran they were all the land series... and a flyer was one of the marks... it really was no problem for my dog to move from the standard hrc walk up to this..

·
Registered
469 Posts
The "walk-up" may be run as a single, thrown and shot as you are walking up with your dog at heel. After retrieving that mark, your multiple mark series would be thrown with the line being wherever the judges set it. It can also be done as part of a multiple marking scenario, with the "walk-up" mark thrown first and then one or more marks thrown after that. When I have seen it as part of a multiple marking set-up, the line has not moved.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
It can be done as either a single or part of multiples. More folks around here seem to be doing it separately since the rules require that it be about 40 yards only nowadays, so it isn't usually a great mark as part of multiples. No duck call or anything before. You walk in the direction the judge sends. When the bird goes in the air you can tell your dog to sit or blow a sit whistle--not both. You have to shoulder the fake gun as well. Then when the judge calls your number you go pick it up. Or whatever other bird may be down that you want to pick up.

It is a mark in AKC world, although it is basically still a test of steadiness.

·
Registered
377 Posts
For clarity, it is a mark, and must be picked up as a mark, not a blind.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Chad!

hey!

Are you sure the walk up isnt judged as a Mark in HRC.

I do believe it is!

The dog sits marks a fall. it must go directly to the area of fall, and establish a hunt.
If it doesnt do this,, I believe you will be dinged if you have to handel TO the AOF..

Are you confusing the DIVERSION bird,,, and the Walk up.

The DIVERSION is not judged a mark.

I'm Confused as usual

Gooser

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
At our master test this past weekend: 1st series, come out of the holding blind with dog at heel, walk to a pre-determined spot where the judge signals and the bird comes out. Once the bird is in the air, you say sit or blow the whistle, then the middle bird came, then the flyer. So yeah, its just like any mark in a double or triple, you're just moving as the bird comes up.

Funny thing is, I cannot recall a dog breaking on any walk up I've seen in senior or master over the last 5 years. If they're going to break its usually on honor or sitting by the handlers side.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Funny thing is, I cannot recall a dog breaking on any walk up I've seen in senior or master over the last 5 years. If they're going to break its usually on honor or sitting by the handlers side.
I think the walk up as part of a triple is actually an advantage if you have a dog that creeps or breaks. You can say 'sit' as loud as you want when the bird is in the air, which you cannot do with regular marks.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I think the walk up as part of a triple is actually an advantage if you have a dog that creeps or breaks. You can say 'sit' as loud as you want when the bird is in the air, which you cannot do with regular marks.
Perhaps, but some dogs don't mark off the gun and/or don't walk at heel very well and therefore they might not get a good look at the walk-up. This is only compounded if/when the walk-up is part of a set of multiple marks and acts as a memory bird.

Maybe I'm cheating, maybe I'm smart, but I always like to exit the holding blind in such a manner that I don't block my dog's view of the walk-up mark. I want to be walking straight at the area of the fall for as long as possible (I've seen too many folks exit the blind on the left side and make a big figure "S" as they work to get their dog squared up, whereas if they had simply exited the holding blind on the right side they would be squared up from the get go).

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
The walk is is basicly the same as in HRC. IT is a mark if it is a single or double/trible. Judge is juding steadiness but also marking. The difference is you rarely see a walkup in finish only in season. It is required in both Senior and Master. The biggest difference as said is you can only say sit or blow whistle once. HRC you can talk through all birds but in AKC once the walk up is out and you say sit, you cannot talk again untill all birds are down and judge releases. That is the hardest transition from HRC to AKC.

Can someone explain to this HRC guy what is meant by a walk-up mark? I hope to run some AKC tests in the next year or so and have heard this term thrown around a little, but it doesn't compute through my HRC filter. In HRC walk-up means a bird thrown while the dog is walking at heel as if the handler and dog were sneaking up on sitting birds. When the bird comes out, HRC handlers are allowed to blow a sit whistle or say sit, then shoulder and shoot at the bird. It is a test for steadiness and the dog must remain steady until sent to retrieve the bird. The bird is not considered a mark and handling to pick it up is basically not judged or considered. The dog must retrieve it, but is not evaluated on its marking ability on this bird.

From what I hear/read, though, it sounds as if the AKC folks tend to throw one of their marks in a multiple marking scenario as a walk-up. How does this look? Is it thrown with dog walking at heel? Are dog and handler moving when this bird is thrown? Do they continue moving or stop to mark the bird? Does the dog proceed after the bird is thrown to a "line" where the rest of the marks are seen from or are the rest of the marks seen from wherever dog and handler were when the walk-up came out? Is the walk-up bird retrieved first and then the rest of the marks are thrown or is it part of the multiple? I am confident that there are multiple ways of doing it and working it into different scenarios, but I wondered if someone could clarify this terminology for me.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I agree. I was taught to blow a sit whistle as it's a sharper sound and different from the "heel, heel" you may be saying.

Perhaps, but some dogs don't mark off the gun and/or don't walk at heel very well and therefore they might not get a good look at the walk-up. This is only compounded if/when the walk-up is part of a set of multiple marks and acts as a memory bird.

Maybe I'm cheating, maybe I'm smart, but I always like to exit the holding blind in such a manner that I don't block my dog's view of the walk-up mark. I want to be walking straight at the area of the fall for as long as possible (I've seen too many folks exit the blind on the left side and make a big figure "S" as they work to get their dog squared up, whereas if they had simply exited the holding blind on the right side they would be squared up from the get go).
I do the same thing, I bring the dog out of the blind so that I'm, as much as possible, walking straight at the walk up the whole time. I then just step up or back a little to give him a view of the 2nd and 3rd marks.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
New walk up rule has the handler come out of the holding blind with dog at heal. When dog passes a marked location usually in front of the judges the bird is launched with no call or warning. Marks continue around the horn thereafter with call and bang. If the dog leaves the handler at the holding blind and is out on the line scooting around there will usually be problems. A walk up is a mark and is scored accordingly.

A diversion bird is given on the return from a mark or a blind. It is not scored as a mark and owner may handle the dog.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
New walk up rule has the handler come out of the holding blind with dog at heal. When dog passes a marked location usually in front of the judges the bird is launched with no call or warning. Marks continue around the horn thereafter with call and bang. If the dog leaves the handler at the holding blind and is out on the line scooting around there will usually be problems. A walk up is a mark and is scored accordingly.

A diversion bird is given on the return from a mark or a blind. It is not scored as a mark and owner may handle the dog.
I just want to add that a diversion may also be thrown on the way to a blind.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, everyone, for the clarification. I think I now know what to expect when I finally get my pup ready to play the AKC game. I'll be really interested to see how seeing the first mark of a multiple while moving affects his ability to put the whole triple together! One more thing to add to the training scenario list!

Thanks again,
Chad

1 - 14 of 14 Posts