RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for anyone that has ran into this problem with their dog..I have searched the site and found some info that I could try with my dog. But here is what is going on. Dog is getting several scabs/bumps mostly on his belly and armpits and seems to spread at times..Occasionally he will get scabs on his back as well...His front paws he was constantly licking them as well. After several trips to the vet, and a lot of money spent...the vets diagnosis was allergies, he prescribed antibiotics, some shampoos to wash him and told us to come back in two weeks. Here is my problem...they seem to come and go a lot...I am sick of taking him to the vet because the vet is a money hungry a__hole who doesn't want to recommend anything other suggestions other than feed him medication and come back every two weeks. I have no problem spending the money on something that will work and a vet who will make suggestions as far as a different food diet or other routes to try and fix this...Sorry for the rant, but if anyone has any recommendations on what I can do to help with this I would greatly appreciate it. And I have changed his food now for the 3rd or 4th time and still early for this food currently to tell if it is working.

Thanks,
Eric

G

·
I had a lab with allergies she had bumps lost all the hair on her tail she lived on prednisone and different medicated shampoo. I tried changing food to salmon venison. Never noticed an improvement. She was worse without meds. Hope you can find something that works

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a dog with allergies to many grasses, trees, and shrubs. She had the same type of skin bumps and licked her paws all the time. We figured out what she was allergic to by taking her to a veterinary dermatologist who did skin tests checking different allergens. She wasn't allergic to her food, it was all the stuff out in the fields that she trained in. I did allergy shots for her when she was actively training and competing and also bathed her with oatmeal shampoo pretty much every time she trained. It was a major pain but it really helped. She is 11 years old now so not training so I don't do the shots any more. I sometimes have to use claritin or some topical cortisone spray and still have to bathe her if she gets itchy after running in fields.

Deb Anderson

·
Registered
408 Posts
Dog is getting several scabs/bumps mostly on his belly and armpits and seems to spread at times..Occasionally he will get scabs on his back as well.
I have a young dog that had sores on belly and groin and armpits, anywhere where the hair was thin. and then she developed sores on her back as well. she had this as a puppy and then on adult food. before taking her to the vet i changed her food to food that has no wheat, no corn, no chicken. it is pro plan sensitive skin and stomach. i didn't expect this to work but it did. she has not had sores since. it is basically a fish-based and rice formula.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would suggest trying benadryl. My last dog had allergies that were seasonal and I gave her benadryl prior to going out in areas that I thought had the allergens and it worked well. Also did not seem to make her drowsy or lethargic.
Can also try fish oil caps for the omega 3 fatty acids that help some dogs with allergies.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Sounds like a food allergy. Try eliminating specific grains one at a time- as much as possible. If that does not work, try a completely grain free dog food. I'd use it only as a last resort. Or you could try feeding raw- do some research on recipes to make sure they provide "complete" nutrition. The Dog Food Adviser website has info about the ingredients of almost all dog foods on it.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Question for anyone that has ran into this problem with their dog..I have searched the site and found some info that I could try with my dog. But here is what is going on. Dog is getting several scabs/bumps mostly on his belly and armpits and seems to spread at times..Occasionally he will get scabs on his back as well...His front paws he was constantly licking them as well. After several trips to the vet, and a lot of money spent...the vets diagnosis was allergies, he prescribed antibiotics, some shampoos to wash him and told us to come back in two weeks. Here is my problem...they seem to come and go a lot...I am sick of taking him to the vet because the vet is a money hungry a__hole who doesn't want to recommend anything other suggestions other than feed him medication and come back every two weeks. I have no problem spending the money on something that will work and a vet who will make suggestions as far as a different food diet or other routes to try and fix this...Sorry for the rant, but if anyone has any recommendations on what I can do to help with this I would greatly appreciate it. And I have changed his food now for the 3rd or 4th time and still early for this food currently to tell if it is working.

Thanks,
Eric
How old is the dog? When did the symptoms start? What foods has he been on start from the first to the ones after? Is he better in the winter or does this happen year round? Have you given any supplements?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I am glad this came up. I have a dog with the same issues that has been on steroids for about a year. The vet recommended a dermatologist for over $1,000. A asked for another referral and found one for about $600 for 6 months of treatment. The only issue is that he has to be off all medications for at least 3 weeks before they will see him. I don't think it is a food allergy I think it is grasses, I've switched his food to different protein sources and it doesn't seam to make any difference.

How long after switching the food were you able to tell a difference?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How old is the dog? When did the symptoms start? What foods has he been on start from the first to the ones after? Is he better in the winter or does this happen year round? Have you given any supplements?
The dog is 1 year and 3 months old...He was about 7-8 months when it started...He was on Eukanuba Puppy, thats what the breeder had him on. Then we switched to Taste of the wild(Venison & Fish), and we were on antibiotics then with fish oil being poured on his food...Now I have finally switched to Natures Recipe - Grain Free Salmon/Sweet Potato. Since October is has come and gone several times...Thats about the only things we have tried as far as foods.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
The dog is 1 year and 3 months old...He was about 7-8 months when it started...He was on Eukanuba Puppy, thats what the breeder had him on. Then we switched to Taste of the wild(Venison & Fish), and we were on antibiotics then with fish oil being poured on his food...Now I have finally switched to Natures Recipe - Grain Free Salmon/Sweet Potato. Since October is has come and gone several times...Thats about the only things we have tried as far as foods.
I would stay on this food and hopefully it helps and stay with the fish oil. Do you have rugs in your house? I would also try what post #5 says.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
If it is allergies and he did well on Euk Puppy without having issues you might try feeding Euk Premium Performance. It's very similar so who knows it might work.
Also, dog could have immune system issues and be susceptible to periodic bacteria (neck, belly, back) and yeast (feet between pads & ears) infections.
The vet should have sampled the skin by taking a scrap with a scalpel and checking under the microscope to see what type of bacteria (or yeast) is present. If dog has ear infections sample of that stuff need to be looked at too.
Knowing exactly what's there will dictate the specific drugs that should be used. Sometimes they simply give dog a broad spectrum antibiotic, anti-fungal or whatever.
So make sure you know exactly what kind of critters, if any, are living on your dog and get the right treatment for those specific bugs.
Could help.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Allergies are a pain for dogs, owners and Doctors. You can try changing foods, but it usually isn't food. Benadryl works for some. Usually they give an antibiotic to treat the open sores. (cephalexin)

Low long term doses of steroids work but are hard on the dog's system. We tried everything including allergy shots. We got the best results with Atopica, it's $5 a dose but worked. It's a long frustrating road for all involved.

Our dog was the worst in the late winter and spring.

I think the allergic dogs have a malfunctioning immune system.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had issues a few months back, especially with paw licking. Vet immediately said to focus on food. Eliminated chicken first, no change. Eliminated grains second, wheat/corn/soy with no chicken either, no change. Went through each bag contents ingrediant by ingrediant and common element was rice in some form or other. Switched to non rice formula and paws cleaned up in less that a week and he not had any ear infections either. I use Acana Wild Prairie now and will stick with it. A little pricey, but evens out in vet bills. Best of luck.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I think you have a chessie..... you need to make sure that he is DRY. If not you will see the things you are describing. After training you will need to towel dry him and than put a fan on him to make sure he gets dry all the way down to his skin. If you don't and its hot and humid this is what can happen. I would also keep him on the grain free food and I think you said TOTW. This is what I feed and have seen a big difference in coats and ears.
Also a supplement of omega 3 and 6 will help. (Salmon oil from WalMart)
I would also get a full Thyroid panel done. No more predisone as this will mask the real problem and its not good for the dog.
If your not happy with your present vet than find a new one that you are comfortable with. They need to be your best friend and if you don't feel that way change.

Joyce (Blackwater Chesapeakes)

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I went through the entire "routine" with Kooly. The first hint (which I ignored) was when he had his first application of Frontline Plus. He developed a raw, bloody, crusty patch of skin right where the application occured. The vet said see what happens next time......nothing.

About a year later, he started developing raw patches on his paws. They were "bloody bad". Topically, we kind of got them under control. This became an ongoing issue which finally resulted in the "scatter gun" approach - switching food, "pred", allergy testing, taking him off FrontLine Plus (using Preventic), monthly desensitization shots....you name it....I tried it.

Finally, I told my vet "Just give me some "Pred pills". I split them and any day he showed itching, he got "half a pill", eventually he would go for months without "telling me". The sores healed up, the "no hair" raw spot on his chest eventually turned to a "nasty looking, red, leathery patch" and he doesn't hate being in his skin.

He's nine years old. It's late spring (you know when most dogs suddenly develop food allergies) and he "told me" a couple of days ago "I could use a little Pred help."

A retriever allergic to grass (among other things) is in a "no win" predicament.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Allergies are a pain for dogs, owners and Doctors. You can try changing foods, but it usually isn't food. Benadryl works for some. Usually they give an antibiotic to treat the open sores. (cephalexin)

Low long term doses of steroids work but are hard on the dog's system. We tried everything including allergy shots. We got the best results with Atopica, it's $5 a dose but worked. It's a long frustrating road for all involved.

Our dog was the worst in the late winter and spring.

I think the allergic dogs have a malfunctioning immune system.
We used generic Atopica, Cyclosporine, for our dog with bad skin allergies/immune issues. Cyclosporine is about $150 a month for a dog that gets one 100 mg capsule daily. Some dogs can do well on less than a daily dose so costs less.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Before starting the food merrygo round trying doing a blood allergy test. I think it was around 200 bucks 6 years ago but it was the best money we ever spent. Turns out our dog has some mild pollen type reactions but dust mites were totally off the scale. We controled his environment, only gets access to no carpet zones of the house, he sleeps in the family room which has hardwood floors, we removed the area rug and it has leather furniture. We limit his access to stuffed toys, they are washed in the hottest water and then tossed in the deep freezer to kill dust mites. He has had zero outbreaks in 5 years and lives a very normal life. He takes zero meds other than an occasional benadryl dose if I notice a slight itch. We did put dust mite covers on all matresses and pillows in the house just as if it was a child. That was a one time expense and much cheaper than vet bills.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts