RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I've had them before, numerous times, but never like this. I took my 2 year old daughter fishing yesterday & got absolutely attacked by Chiggers aka redbugs. I've got +/- 100 whelps all over me & it's agonizing to say the least. Luckily my daughter was spared as she only has a few on her. I am not having any kind of adverse reaction to the large number of bites other than I am highly uncomfortable & uncontrollably itching. Is there any tried and true method for dealing with these things. I've taken a bath in bleach water, put rubbing achohol all over, vinegar all over & they still are tearing me up. PLEASE HELP!!!!! Prevenative is the best bet with these things & I know I won't be walking in knee high grass in shorts without OFF anytime soon

·
Registered
231 Posts
Don't scratch them. If you can stand not scratching them, they will just be uncomfortable. If you scratch them, they will take 4-5 times longer to go away. Some people say to put clear fingernail polish over them, but I just suffer them till they're gone. Got about 10 on me right now.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
The vinegar would tend to make you itch worse. Benadyl and a bath with one of the oatmeal treatments ( Aveeno packets ? ). Every thing you have done would have dried out the skin and probably made the itching worse. The vinegar is acid and would for sure cause more problems. I hope you can get some relief soon. Chiggers and I have a long standing feud.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Listerine Cool Mint.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Ok, I've had them before, numerous times, but never like this. I took my 2 year old daughter fishing yesterday & got absolutely attacked by Chiggers aka redbugs. I've got +/- 100 whelps all over me & it's agonizing to say the least. Luckily my daughter was spared as she only has a few on her. I am not having any kind of adverse reaction to the large number of bites other than I am highly uncomfortable & uncontrollably itching. Is there any tried and true method for dealing with these things. I've taken a bath in bleach water, put rubbing achohol all over, vinegar all over & they still are tearing me up. PLEASE HELP!!!!! Prevenative is the best bet with these things & I know I won't be walking in knee high grass in shorts without OFF anytime soon
Bought on Amazon,:rolleyes: Sawyer insect repellant for clothing, gear and tents
I spray ALL that I plan to wear outside, let it dry and have NOT had a chigger on me at all this Spring when training in the fields known for mega chiggers. You can read reviews on Amazon as well

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've used the clear fingernail polish method and it worked great. It stops the itch immediately. It doesn't have to be clear, my husband had them once, and all he could find was my granddaughter's bright purple nail polish. He looked really funny, but it worked great.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Benedryl

Either the alcohol or vinegar applied to each spot is to break down the enzyme that causes the itching

Then apply chiggerex throughout the day and A&D Ointment at least once per day helps the healing

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Lanacain can numb the itch areas until it all goes away. You can find it at Wally world or your local drug store. It sure helps.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Just wear some knee high pantyhose next time you go walking in that stuff leave the "Off" at home.

You may thing I am joking but I promise I am not.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've tried all these remedies without success. Chiggars stay w/ me for a long time so I'm diligent about keeping them off in the 1st place.

The best thing I know of for keeping them off is sulfur powder. You can buy it at Walgreens or CVS, pour it in an old sock & tie a knot in the end & keep it in a baggie in your dog box. When you go out in the grass, just pat it around your ankles & waist & I've never had an issue w/ the damn things.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thx to all for the replies. I rustled up some prescription strength hydrocortisone cream and its giving me some relief. I'm going to try the fingernail polish once this round of cream wears off. I've had 30 or 40 on me at one time before but this is ridiculous. I am completely covered from my ankles to my ears 360 degrees around me. Please just make it go away Hahaha!!!!!!!They usually stay with me for 3-4 days so maybe it'll start getting better tomorrow. We can only hope.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Shot of whiskey, if its still itches another shot of Whiskey, repeat until itching stops or you pass out ;)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Agree with fingernail polish over the bite. Chiggers lay a egg in host and the nail polish suffocates them. As far as prevention a good product Cutters

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
The clear fingernail polish works a charm. It burns if you have already scratched them, but you just imagine the burning is those little *#[email protected] dying.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I've tried all these remedies without success. Chiggars stay w/ me for a long time so I'm diligent about keeping them off in the 1st place.

The best thing I know of for keeping them off is sulfur powder. You can buy it at Walgreens or CVS, pour it in an old sock & tie a knot in the end & keep it in a baggie in your dog box. When you go out in the grass, just pat it around your ankles & waist & I've never had an issue w/ the damn things.
It works well when you go out to pick blackberries but I hate that smell. And let me tell you when you stand still in among blackberry plants those chiggers are there by the thousands if not millions.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts