RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Interceptor for my heartworm preventitive since I have had my dog. Just tried to re-order from the vet and they said Novartis has quit making it for a while due to some quality control issues. Supposedly, what's on the market now is o.k., but the vet says they can't get any for a while. Novartis keeps pushing back the date they are supposed to start making it again. I was just curious what is another good option to Interceptor? Never had any problems with it, but start wondering when QC issues arise. Vet is recommending Iverhart (spelling??). Anybody had any issues with it?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I use to use Iverhart, but about 3 years ago I switched to Ivomec. It is the injection solution for Cattle and Swine. I give it orally once a month. .10 cc per 10 pounds of body weight.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I use Iverhart Plus right now, can, instead of doing orally, add the Ivomec as a topical to the food?
I don't think my dogs would eat their food with the Ivomec on it. My vet did suggest taking it and mixing it in icecream or yogurt.

I just put it in the corner of their mouth and hold their mouth shut and they swallow it. Then I give them a biscuit.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I had always used Interceptor, in the past 7 years have had 3 dogs get heartworm. 2 of them twice. I have switched to Advantage Multi.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Advantage Multi or straight ivormectin by weight.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I am going to switch to Iverhart Plus. Last month I used heartguard.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My dogs are on a shot that last 6 months for heartworms, my vet told me it is the best thing out there. He has had a 0 rate of dogs showing up with heart worms. Also he told me that if you use ivomec it needs to be diluted or it could cause liver problems later in dogs.

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
For what it's worth, I just checked with our Vet's office and they are not aware of a problem with Interceptor. Interceptor is what they recommend the most.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
For what it's worth, I just checked with our Vet's office and they are not aware of a problem with Interceptor. Interceptor is what they recommend the most.
There is no "quality control problem" with Interceptor, only a supply problem. There were some labeling issues with animal and human products from a manufacturing facility that produced both human and animal pharmaceuticals. The facility was closed thereby creating a temporary supply shortage.

The active ingredient in Interceptor is milbemycin so the closest product is Trifexis which is milbemycin and Comfortis in the same monthly pill.

The Novartis supply problem should be corrected fairly soon I am told.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts