RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this from another forum where the guy lent his gun to a buddy and then got it back and did not know the barrel had an obstruction. Firing the shotgun with the obstruction did the obvious to the barrel as you can see by the picture but the guy LOST 2 FINGERS!! and is extremely lucky to have lived to tell this story. Alway be certain your barrel is free of any obstruction before use. Check it safely by removing the barrel and look down the barrel from the breech end and NEVER the muzzle.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
If you believe what you see on the TV show "Mythbusters", you wouldn't believe this. After plugging a gun with mud, then a wooden peg, then a steel plug, they friggin' welded a plug in the end of a barrel and couldn't get it to mushroom like this. They attributed it to the quality of steel today. Maybe they didn't use a cheap enough gun or else heavy enough loads?!? Or else they plugged it too well each time?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Puleeseeeeee

When a barrel becomes plugged it will split at the weakest point. I have had the unfortunate pleasure of an older gun do that after i had set it down and did not realize the barrel had mud in it. It was an over and under and the side of the plugged barrel split
Also if the blast did cause that damage then how did it cause him to loose two fingers ? It would have caused facial or eye damage first unless he had his hand on the muzzle.
This looks like a case of Looney Tunes and Elmer Fudd coming to life

1 - 4 of 4 Posts