RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(or not)? I have an excellent vet. That being said, what do you think of a "yearly wellness exam". I'm with my dogs continuously everyday. I know whether anything is amiss.

Teeth I can check and temperatures, too. I can examine their eyes, feet and body for any changes or problems. The only thing that I can't do is look deep into the dogs' eyes for retinal changes or any other developing problems. Let's just say I know when something is wrong (if it happens).

Is it worth spending around $100 per each of my four dogs every 12 months? My dogs will be at the vets anytime something unexplainable comes up. I take in fecal samples once a year and do the heartworm test plus the yearly vaccine routines, but money is tight and $400 is a "tidy chunk" for what little value I see in a "wellness exam". Should I just say check their eyes with the little flashlight tool, binocular "thingy" and I'll pay for that "look", but forget the rest of the "pat down". Would that make me seem like a "tightwad"?

My dogs see the vet probably two or three times a year for the regular "stuff". What do you think?

·
Registered
234 Posts
IMO, given what you describe, NO, it is not worth $400 for "yearly wellness exam".

they get examined enough when they go in for meds or other issues. you know you dogs and when something is not right take them in for that without hesitation. this is my approach.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I take the dogs in once a year, assuimg nothing else happens.

My Vet gives a multiple dog discount. You save a little if you bring in 2 or 3 back to back.

They get shots, heartworm check and the "pat down." There's no avoiding the pat down. I think it's just a chance to talk to you and look at the dog. Makes you feel like you're getting something for your money. I feel they're justified in charging me 'cause I might need them for something very important sometime.

You have to pay for the office visit to get shots, if you come back for something additional in a reasonable time period you can just see a technician.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I usually get my dog a 7 way booster every other year and Bord. Also to get a Heartgard script you have top have a heart worm test. While there they do a general health check too. I think it is a good idea.

Also there are a number of issues that once you notice it it is too late. Figure how much you spend on the dog, a hundred a dog extra is not too much to make sure they are healthy.

With that said I think 100.00 is too much for just a office visit fee. I would look at everything together (meds, vacc. tests...ect..) and go to the vet and say if if I do all this other stuff here I want 50% off the office visit fee.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Well If your a tight-wad, I must be a Miser, Mine don't see the vet's office unless somethings wrong. Shots come from the Feed-store, heart-worm etc. online. Used to take them every once in awhile to a vet school by my work, because the students needed animals to work with, and I'd get wellness examines for free ;). They go in for Rabies, but only when the vet's running a shot clinic etc. If vets or doctors had to survive on people like me they'd starve, so I applaud those that have the extra cash to, do things like "wellness examines" and "consults". It keeps the vet offices open for us cheapskates ;) (LOL)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Teeth I can check and temperatures, too. I can examine their eyes, feet and body for any changes or problems.
The question I have is, not can you, but do you examine your dogs?

Do you only examine when there are symptoms? That is what I usually do.

What if there are no symptoms but still a problem as in a developing tumor. When was the last time you palpated your female dogs breasts for lumps?

Anyway, sometimes an asymptomatic problem can be seen and found with an examination where it would not be found without.

I too know when my dog is "off". That will trigger an exam, but I don't usually do it without the trigger. The yearly vet exam is done whether there is a trigger or not.

Chris

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
My dogs go in once a year for exam. Includes: shots including bortella, fecal test, blood test, listen to heart and lungs, etc. I think it is well worth it. It's about $100. This is one of the cheapest parts of having dogs.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Well If your a tight-wad, I must be a Miser, Mine don't see the vet's office unless somethings wrong. Shots come from the Feed-store, heart-worm etc. online. Used to take them every once in awhile to a vet school by my work, because the students needed animals to work with, and I'd get wellness examines for free ;). They go in for Rabies, but only when the vet's running a shot clinic etc. If vets or doctors had to survive on people like me they'd starve, so I applaud those that have the extra cash to, do things like "wellness examines" and "consults". It keeps the vet offices open for us cheapskates ;) (LOL)[/QUOTE

You took the words right out of my mouth!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Well If your a tight-wad, I must be a Miser, Mine don't see the vet's office unless somethings wrong. Shots come from the Feed-store, heart-worm etc. online. Used to take them every once in awhile to a vet school by my work, because the students needed animals to work with, and I'd get wellness examines for free ;). They go in for Rabies, but only when the vet's running a shot clinic etc. If vets or doctors had to survive on people like me they'd starve, so I applaud those that have the extra cash to, do things like "wellness examines" and "consults". It keeps the vet offices open for us cheapskates ;) (LOL)

X 3 !!!!! I'm aobut the same

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
Once they are past 8 years old it is worthwhile to have kidney/liver function tests run once a year. If they have kidney disease, by the time they have symptoms, it's usually too late to do much about it, and it is a sad condition.
I do check gums, lymph nodes, and do lump checks. My old guy came back with high kidney values. He is now on a special diet with added supplements. Each vet is different but I got a twofer on the exams taking both of them in ($39) and they both got panels run. I would feel bad if I wouldn't have caught it. I do my own vaccinations.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I would discuss it with your vet. $100 each for a "well check" seems excessive-an exam should be included in an office visit, and you should be able to get that when you do the heartworm/fecal test thing. Maybe I am not clear what the $100 is for? You will know when something is "not right", and when they need to be seen, I agree. That said, do a senior blood panel test on the older ones-it is a really good tool to know what's going on where you can't see or feel....and it will let you be proactive if need be.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I'm the opposite extreme. My dogs, regardless of age, get wellness exams with blood panels and urinalysis twice a year. My youngest one gets a full tick panel (sent out to MSU) twice a year.
It seems a small total cost over the life of a dog, and it just might save their life some day.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Maybe I see things differently because I work at a veterinary hospital, but mine go in yearly for well visits and semi annually after the age of 8. Veterinarians go through alot of schooling to see and know things we dont. I know we all keep a good eye on our pets , but there are some things we may not see, or feel. I know for myself I dont wait until I am sick to go to the doctor, I go in for well visits, for that matter, being fair skinned, I see the derm doctor at least once a year for a whole body check, I for sure dont want to wait for a problem there. I know people say, well but we have insurance, well so can pets now. Times are tough now for everyone,but I think its part of our obligation of having a pet to keep up on their well visits. I know for me right now, that extra cost is why I am waiting to get another pup, money is too tight right now.I have said this before, but if you trust your veterinarian, that right there for us dog lovers is priceless.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
I take better care of my dogs than I do myself. Probably not smart but that's how it is.

I don't think "we" are qualified to check out our dogs as well as your Vet and don't see how anyone could leave their care up to someone who is a lawyer, plumber, insurance agent, CPA, whatever.

My Vet is available to me 24/7. home, office and cell phone numbers on speed dial. His office is 150 miles away. Not exactly convenient but we load all 4 of them all up once a year for the annual checkup, shots,etc.

I think it's a bargain. Your relationship with your Vet is invaluable.:)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Interesting thread...my Great Pyrenees (Aries) is not a good traveler, so my vet comes to the farm....all my dogs would get full check ups, blood draws for heartworms, etc, vaccs and "wellness" if you will...including the cats. I'm feeling pretty lucky I have a vet that still comes out to my place.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I don't think regular "pet vets" are worth the money spent for a wellness exam. If I was taking my dog to someone really respected, I would have no problem spending the money no matter what it cost. But nothing chaps my hide faster than to get a bill for $40 office visit plus $35 yearly exam... and all the vet did was look at my dog's ears and teeth and toenails. If they're gonna charge me, they'd better have every inch of my dog examined. Not all vets are highly competent and skilled. A large majority are just average. And I keep seeing more and more "upselling". Whatever happened to need-based, common sense care? It's still there but you gotta kiss a lot of frogs.

I guess I'm a tightwad too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts