RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a visit from a humane society officer and the more I think about it the more offended I get. Someone reported that I was neglegting my old girl. She is thirteen years old and is at the age where she is showing her age. She is not in any pain and still can walk with me every night. She has a prolapsed uterus but to put her under anethetic for a prolonged period would not be safe. She sleeps in the bed with us. She is never left outside in the cold. She has a couch upstairs and a couch by the wood stove in the basement. She gets the best of food and any treats that are going. I am at her beck and call. She still gets bumpers thrown for her. If I thought she was in pain I would do the right thing for her. Am I wrong in thinking people should mind their own business or come and confront me in person if they think I am neglectful. I told the officer to go back to the complainer and tell them that our only option will be to put her down and to thank them for shortening her remaining time. Now have at me.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Unless the Humane Society Officer has been granted some special authority where you live I would have told him/her to pound sand and get off my property.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I used to bring my Zia (pictured in my avatar) to work with me on Fridays (because I travel a lot to train and to Field Trials -- as we all do). She was always parked under the shade of a tree and always had her fan blowing on her. I had the humane society called out TWICE to my job (and the city police officers showed up as well) to question me about this dog. They wouldn't tell me who called & "tattled" either time. It's amazing that these folks don't ask US -- the actual OWNERS of the dogs. Really, people...... Zia went thru 8 months of chemo before she passed on. You REALLY think I would have let anything happen to her while I had her with me at work??? :confused: :-x

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Am I under arrest? Do you have warrant? If the answer to either is no, tell who the hell ever to leave. If the answer to either is yes, shut and let your attorney to the talking.

/Paul

·
Registered
494 Posts
Your old gal is VERY LUCKY she has you! I wouldn't change one thing.

I learned a long time ago that I will never be able to make every one happy in this world. So, I just work at keeping myself and a few others somewhat satisfied.

Keep up what you are doing and just ignore the unjust complainer.

Dogs are fortunate people like you exist.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I am dealing with a 13 yr old also and I also treat him like the king he is to me and if some one came to my house like that I would tell where and how to stick it keep your chin up your are doing the right thing!!!!11

David Jansma

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I just had a visit from a humane society officer and the more I think about it the more offended I get. Someone reported that I was neglegting my old girl. She is thirteen years old and is at the age where she is showing her age. She is not in any pain and still can walk with me every night. She has a prolapsed uterus but to put her under anethetic for a prolonged period would not be safe. She sleeps in the bed with us. She is never left outside in the cold. She has a couch upstairs and a couch by the wood stove in the basement. She gets the best of food and any treats that are going. I am at her beck and call. She still gets bumpers thrown for her. If I thought she was in pain I would do the right thing for her. Am I wrong in thinking people should mind their own business or come and confront me in person if they think I am neglectful. I told the officer to go back to the complainer and tell them that our only option will be to put her down and to thank them for shortening her remaining time. Now have at me.
Is the complaint due to not treating the prolapsed uterus or is there some other issue?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Am I under arrest? Do you have warrant? If the answer to either is no, tell who the hell ever to leave. If the answer to either is yes, shut and let your attorney to the talking.

/Paul
X 2 Humane society and nosy neighbors both a PITA!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Well the question of "should I be offended?" is a tricky one. Presumably the person who reported you saw the prolapsed uterus and figured your dog was in need of medical attention that you were failing to provide (not knowing that you had made an informed decision after consulting your vet and weighing the options and pros and cons of surgery at her age). There are times when we say "wow, that went on for so long and nobody reported it" so in that regard you can understand why someone felt they needed to report it. Then the humane society had no choice but to check it out once it was reported. Basically, I don't think there is reason to be offended that someone reported it. I'm saying that based on the assumption that the prolapsed uterus is something that can be easily noticed and appears to be something that is obviously in need of attention. As to being offended by the humane society officer, that would depend on their demeanor, tone, accusations they may have made, etc. It is scary that some cities, counties, maybe states, grant authority to some of these do gooder quacks that equate to law enforcement authority when they lack the education and training (and quite possibly the judgment) to properly exercise such authority. If that is the case where you live then that is what I'd be offended by.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Is the complaint due to not treating the prolapsed uterus or is there some other issue?
That was my question too..., but Huntindawg gave a great answer. Hope your ol' girl has many more years. They're never with us long enough...

·
Registered
449 Posts
I feel your pain. I was confronted during a travel to MI with a dog by a dog catcher at a traffic light. I had a cap on the truck it was 80 degrees out windows propped open a fan on his crate. He asked me to pull over and said that it was too dangoursly hot for the dog to be in the back. I told him the dog was worth more than him and that he should be looking for strays and left. You are, as many very good to your dog. Keep the faith of what your doing and carry on.

·
Registered
317 Posts
You would be amazed how many times I'd come out of Tim hortons ( in gilden horseshoe )and see a cop or human soc waiting by my truck/ topper. People would her the dogs moving when they parked next to it. They would assume it was " hot" in the topper and put a call in. They came out a few times. Looked in the topper. One even asked on a hot day if he could get in because it was so cool in there. They finally took my plate and description and if a call came in they sdud they knew the truck and there were no issues due to fans and insulation. They would give me a quick call though to let me know it cane in ...... We also had the same thing with my 35 year old QH. He was old. Got regular vet visits. Best food his old mouth could chew. He wasn't in pain but due to age was abit ribby. Someone called it in and they came to visit. Saw him and could not believe how good he looked for his age. Said "sorry to
Bother "and they were on their way ....

Some people just assume neglect. I guess better safe than sorry and if one animal is removed from a neglectful home then we are all better off. IMHO as long as they were not rude and research the real info then they are just doing their job.

At your place though who sees the dog. ???
Almost as though it was someone that comes by and should know the story .....

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a feeling it was one of the new trainers that come out to use my property for free, my birds for free,my guns and equipment for free. You never know who is going to abuse your hospitality.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
I have also been reported several times - like Baby Duck, the officers in my town know me and know my truck for the most part. I have learned to not be offended by the poor officer who has to do their job, even though a pair of them made my blood boil. Remember they are in a position of authority and they could make things a real PITA if you give them attitude and I've learned long ago to just play nice, especially given the fact that I know I have done no wrong. Also you can educate an animal control officer easier by being polite and soft spoken, I'm sure during their day they run into enough jerks to make them appreciate a civil conversation which doesn't put them on the defensive. Of course they too will have to respect my rights - i.e. no illegal search of my property, but for the most part if you are nice when they come knocking - or drag you out of a restaurant, things go smoother. And I do love it when you provide them with your Vets phone number from memory, the look on their faces is priceless, then follow that up with a spare business card and they tend to realize you don't abuse your animals!

So yes you can be offended, but I've learned it does no good to be offended by the officer doing their job...it will be interesting to see if the person who made the complaint will now say something to ya once they realize you aren't getting into trouble? When the crazy PETA chick did that to me the local cops made her life miserable, nothing like having to empty the contents of your car at the city park in front of everyone! :D

Take a deep breath, give your old gal a hug and let it go...you know in your heart that your dogs are well taken care of!

·
Registered
172 Posts
FOM... I'm dying to hear your PETA story.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Today is my old girls 12th birthday, she probably wont see 13. I think most of us do the best for our beloved dogs in their later years. Most people should mind their own biz. She is sleeping and dreaming of chasin birds as I type.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I have a feeling it was one of the new trainers that come out to use my property for free, my birds for free,my guns and equipment for free. You never know who is going to abuse your hospitality.
What exactly was the (alleged) basis for the complaint?

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I have also been reported several times - like Baby Duck, the officers in my town know me and know my truck for the most part. I have learned to not be offended by the poor officer who has to do their job, even though a pair of them made my blood boil. Remember they are in a position of authority and they could make things a real PITA if you give them attitude and I've learned long ago to just play nice, especially given the fact that I know I have done no wrong. Also you can educate an animal control officer easier by being polite and soft spoken, I'm sure during their day they run into enough jerks to make them appreciate a civil conversation which doesn't put them on the defensive. Of course they too will have to respect my rights - i.e. no illegal search of my property, but for the most part if you are nice when they come knocking - or drag you out of a restaurant, things go smoother. And I do love it when you provide them with your Vets phone number from memory, the look on their faces is priceless, then follow that up with a spare business card and they tend to realize you don't abuse your animals!

So yes you can be offended, but I've learned it does no good to be offended by the officer doing their job...it will be interesting to see if the person who made the complaint will now say something to ya once they realize you aren't getting into trouble? When the crazy PETA chick did that to me the local cops made her life miserable, nothing like having to empty the contents of your car at the city park in front of everyone! :D

Take a deep breath, give your old gal a hug and let it go...you know in your heart that your dogs are well taken care of!
An excellent post, thank you ! Now, please, tell us the story about the crazy PETA chick.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts