RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took a new job a couple of weeks ago that is causing me to be gone a long time every day. I leave the house at 530 am and don't get home till between 630 and 7 every night. Up to now I have always feed my adult dogs in the evening but I also trained either in the morning or early evening, now the only time I can train is after I get home from work which is also when I have been feeding. I don't generally like to feed right before or right after a hard workout but I can't wait an hour or so after feeding before I go train or I am going to run out of daylight.

I have been thinking about feeding before I go to work but I am not sure if it is good to feed and then have the dogs lay around in the kennel all day on a full stomach. Or would it be better to wait until I get done training in the evening and feed shortly before we go to bed?

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I feed at 9 PM. While I am not training at the moment, when I do it is usually in the evenings around 5:30 and get home around 7-8. They say a full stomach makes them sleepy. Either way I think you would be ok. Or you could start splitting it, half AM half PM.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feed at 9 PM. While I am not training at the moment, when I do it is usually in the evenings around 5:30 and get home around 7-8. They say a full stomach makes them sleepy. Either way I think you would be ok. Or you could start splitting it, half AM half PM.

Steph,

I have considered splitting the feedings in half but talked myself out of it for some reason. Maybe it would be the best option.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I feed my girl in the evening as well! I used to split them but running in all the HTs it became a hassle. I went to evening feedings only and she has done well with it. I don't think there is truly a right or wrong answer here! Do whatever works for you and you dogs! Good Luck

·
Registered
374 Posts
Feed one time a day in the evening after your training. Wait until they cool down and stop breathing hard, but within about an hour. That's the advice from nutritionists at both Purina and Eukanuba.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I don't think there is truly a right or wrong answer here! Do whatever works for you and you dogs!
Kinda hard to disagree with the above.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
in the evening, the dogs are fed first, the birds from the hunt are cleaned, the guns are cleaned and put away...then we eat....my dog eats first before me

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kinda hard to disagree with the above.
Howard, I didn't think there was a wrong answer I just wasn't sure if one scenario was better than the other. Looks like I will go ahead and feed after we get done training in the evenings. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I split the feeding - 3/4th at night, 1/4th in the morning. I, too, find that the dogs sleep better and are less likely to keep the neighbors and myself awake at night if fed just before I go to bed (usually around 10:00 pm).
LL

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Scott, I often train late and then feed before I go to bed. I feed twice a day before I go to bed and right after I air in the morning. Ofttimes I feed their morning meal after morning training. I don't know if what I do is the best schedule or not. It just has, so far, worked for me and my dogs.

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
i find that if you feed in the morning and you do not have a regular activity before feeding(like howard goes to train or a walk for instance) they will wake you up earlier and earlier every day to eat!

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
I feed twice a day and have for 20 years.

Eric

·
Registered
152 Posts
According to nutrition studies at Purina, a dog's energy level peaks about 17 hours after a meal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ye
s i feed in the evening also. i have read the peak also is about 15 hrs after feeding. i also agree that a late feeding helps doggies with a good night sleep.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts