RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
17,222 Posts
Amateur

Iowa Bob, your topic was a heated topic earlier this week on the WRC-Judging FT board. Reading a little between the lines I just wanted to write that if one is to be competitve against Amateurs that devote their life to training that you have to be willing to do the same or hire a good pro. An Amateur can train a competitve dog if several variables are available. First, ya got to know what you are doing and second, you need the man-power. I went the pro route because in my area there is no such think as Amateur FT Trainers, so there is no group to go out and train together with. 99.9% of the Amateur trainers here are HT folks so my dog would never see the difficult land marks or blinds. Back in New Orleans, an area rich with FT heritage, there are quite a few good FT Amateurs to train with, so one could do it without a pro. Cost becomes a factor and it cost less to pay a pro a handling fee rather then make the trial yourself. My goal is to make 8 trails a year personally. Yet I want them to run 16-18 trails a year. Hardest dog to beat at a FT is not one trained by a top pro but the one trained by the experienced Amateur with deep pockets and unlimited time.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.