Votes: 0 0.0%
  • English (Irish, Britt, Scott) Methods

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With all credit to this light hearted terms originator I see this name being used more and more here on the 'net and with a wide variety of just what it means to be a non-collar trainer. Just curious to the "Amish" trainers here on RTF what description (training method/correction tool) most closely fits you? #8's and Sling Shots go under "other" :lol:
________
Hero hunk

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Peake-

Can you define the "Scottish, Brit..." methods?

M

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Not specifically and that's another topic buuuut I know it doesn't include Collar, F-F, FTP, TT and I believe that dogs are steadied from a young age with minimal exposure to wild game with more formal field work being held off until 1yr??? (Nimrod you there?) No doubt this is wrong but it's my general understanding.
Peake - Hoping this doesn't spin out of control into US vs Britt GDG on the fourth post :p :D
________
Bbw milf

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Ok-I voted based on your answer. I'm sure I'll be a party of one!! :wink:

(Just for the record-I may be a "warm & fuzzy Brit type" trainer, but I don''t use treats or clicker. The reward is the bird!!)

M

·
Registered
6 Posts
Peake,

I thought Amish just meant no e-collar. Given that, which answer do you consider to be the most devout???

I've not voted. Think I might have to be "Other" if I do but it is because I don't fit neatly into any of the catagories given.

Tracy
(FF, FTP, no stick yet but doesn't mean I wouldn't use one if it seemed necessary, plan to do TT but not there yet, clicker/treat trainer, mostly verbal/hands on corrections, some collar (as in leash & collar) corrections)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Tracy,
Most devout? Hmm, "It Depends" (LVL) on your own definition? For me I consider old school FT trainers the original "Amish" forefathers such as "Cotton", DL and even later Quinn (yah, yah minus the bird shot & slingshots) so I guess for us it's a tennis shoe school version of #1 Sorry 'bout them catgorize too many twists/methods to label them all. But a question for you if I may, just curious how do you FTP with out even using as much as a stick (ear pinch to the pile)?
Thanks,
Peake
________
Vapor Genie Vaporizer Reviews

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ummm....

Well, I started out with an ear pinch but my dog was ducking away - real avoidance type things happening - so I switched to a forward pop on his collar. He was on a collar/long line at the time. I expected to have to get my hands on a stick but this worked really well so I didn't end up doing anything more than this.

This was a sample of one. Obviously everyone else's milage will vary. For that matter I'm not expecting it to work the same way with dog #2 when we get to that point.

Tracy
Card carrying dabbler

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Ok-I'm bored.

Peake wrote:

But a question for you if I may, just curious how do you FTP with out even using as much as a stick (ear pinch to the pile)?
First of all I know the principle behind force & I understand why most folks use it & that there dogs run very happily. For me this was all a game & because my dog was older I based everything on whether or not she wanted to do it. She was spayed, so it wasn't about breeding. I just wanted something fun to do with her & from the first hunt test she was hooked (though we have had our rough moments)
She loves to retrieve & has to have something in her mouth all of the time. Above all else she loves birds & cripples are the best in her eyes.

Ok-back to answering the question. She does anything I ask her because she is anxious to please & very anxious to retrieve. We went through a phase where I was moving too fast & expecting her to know things through osmosis. I had to really back off & slow things down, but No-I never ran out 50 yards & shook the hell out of her when she blew me off. Attrition works better for a dog that wants to work. If you say "game over" the dog is more apt to come out really focused for the next go round.

Do I ever get cast refusals? You bet! But if one person can show me a dog who, because it's trained w/ a collar or force never refuses a command-I may just have to change my ways for the next dog! :)
M

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Ken,

All we see in YOUR avatar is that emerald green polo shirt....you don't have a kilt going down there, do you? I can just see you hopping through the sugar bush in a kilt!! LOL...:D

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
....and blows a bagpipe instead of a Gonia, lol. Really dug in the archives for this thread Ken??

Ugh!! Move along-nothing to see here folks! 2003??? Not that I sound any more intelligent after 7 years! :-(

M

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
dang, if that guy had a little more hair, it could be Shayne! man purse and all!

:)

Ken, how/why do you find these old threads?

Juli

1 - 17 of 17 Posts