RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a good bit of searching and haven't come up with anything. Does anyone have any methods or equipment to anchor bumpers in shallow water, or in my case a pile of bumpers for swim-by training. I only need to anchor the back pile as the width is suitable, however I would like to be able to shorten the distance my dog needs to swim to the back pile. I have a couple ideas in mind, but I tend to over complicate things and I didn't know if anyone has already worked through the same problem and found a solution. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
A long time ago there was s story on how to use large wooden mouse traps for the problem you are trying to solve. The large mouse trap was anchored firmly and it floated. The bumpers had a small diagram string attached to them. The cord was put under the spring loaded trap. The dog would grab the bumper and it would pull loose from.the trap. I had a couple in my pickup for years but don't remember what happened to them.
Maybe I saw this in one of Wolters books.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First of all....is the "back" shoreline too far (as in the following photo)?
Yes, I am trying to do exactly what is shown in the picture. Swim-by may have been too general of a description, but yes, I am starting out with water T.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A long time ago there was s story on how to use large wooden mouse traps for the problem you are trying to solve. The large mouse trap was anchored firmly and it floated. The bumpers had a small diagram string attached to them. The cord was put under the spring loaded trap. The dog would grab the bumper and it would pull loose from.the trap. I had a couple in my pickup for years but don't remember what happened to them.
Maybe I saw this in one of Wolters books.
This is essentially what I had in mind, with the mouse traps, or some other type of small spring clamp attached to a pole that was driven in the pond bottom. Maybe I'm not too far off track then.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Years ago when we had to use a similar location, we took an 8 ft 2"X6" board secured anchor ropes on either end. We used heavy diving weights for anchors.

Then we just used regular wooden mouse traps screwed onto the board about a foot apart. With just the tip of rope under the bail, the dummies held, but would come off very easily when dog grabbed them. And with short cords didn't get tangled.

Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Make a 3 to 5 foot ring out of 4 inch plastic tile and stuff it full of foam pipe insulation. Anchor it where you want it, better yet put a post in the pond to hold it.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
"Yes, I am trying to do exactly what is shown in the picture."

When I used that pond, the best time was when there was no wind (obviously).
Therefore, I never had more than two bumpers out there in any moment. Two is
a pile. There were days with a breeze, where another bumper was more like
identifying the pile/position. There were never any real problems with wind.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Years ago when we had to use a similar location, we took an 8 ft 2"X6" board secured anchor ropes on either end. We used heavy diving weights for anchors.

Then we just used regular wooden mouse traps screwed onto the board about a foot apart. With just the tip of rope under the bail, the dummies held, but would come off very easily when dog grabbed them. And with short cords didn't get tangled.

Your mileage may vary.
This is what I keep coming back to in my head, I think if I do end up making something, it will be similar to this. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Make a 3 to 5 foot ring out of 4 inch plastic tile and stuff it full of foam pipe insulation. Anchor it where you want it, better yet put a post in the pond to hold it.
I guess the dogs don't have too much of an issue getting the bumpers out?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"Yes, I am trying to do exactly what is shown in the picture."

When I used that pond, the best time was when there was no wind (obviously).
Therefore, I never had more than two bumpers out there in any moment. Two is
a pile. There were days with a breeze, where another bumper was more like
identifying the pile/position. There were never any real problems with wind.
And this is my alternative, to do as you described with few bumpers and little wind. I really want to figure something out though as I know there has be a simple solution. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I guess the dogs don't have too much of an issue getting the bumpers out?
Physically no, They have to learn that they can some may be intimidated when they first see it

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Long ago and in a faraway time we used rat traps on water blinds. The ponds were natural and at times very large.
today we have this man made tech water and we work on doing those blinds
But we another time rat traps were the thing
Dk

·
Registered
97 Posts
The traps most commonly used were rat traps. Often used for floating blinds. Dummies, shackled, and dead bucks were all used. The major drawback was that when multiple dummies were attached the dogs often dislodged more than one at a time. These traps were used in trials back in the day when water blinds were actually in the water. I still have a couple. Use them occasionally for teaching long open water blinds, something diving duck hunters need their dogs to do.

·
Registered
12,458 Posts
Ayup,
Rat Trap. That is what is in my gear bag. Holds half dozen ducks with one wing feather of each bird under the striker like my thumb in the photo. Even more bumpers. Tie a broken rubber band to end of bumper rope. Place end of rubber band under striker like my thumb in the photo. Great training tool and essential for the notorious NAHRA Field Test "HOT" water blind.
20210403_191459.jpg
20210403_191409.jpg

·
Registered
407 Posts
Ken,
Excuse me, but some of us can't tell a rat trap from a speed trap so I need to ask questions.

What my steps would be so far:
1. Tie one end of a broken rubber band to the rope of a bumper.
2. Put other end of broken rubber band under rat trap striker.
3. Throw bumper with rat trap under it into water.
4. Force of dog pulling will release bumper for dog????

The rat trap is not set to snap---???????????????? The bumper is just being held steady by the pressure of the striker but the dog's force on trying to take the bumper will release the bumper???

·
Registered
12,458 Posts
The rat trap floats. So the rat trap is held in place by the lead decoy anchor. You cannot throw the rat trap but set it in place with a canoe or hip boots. When the dogs grabs a bumper and you hit the whistle the rubberband brakes and the dog swims away. This keeps a pile of bumpers or Birds in one spot unaffected by wind or waves.

Edit- no the Trap is not set, the force of the spring on the striker holds the wing feathers of the ducks or the rubber bands

1 - 20 of 20 Posts