RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

What would you prefer, Angus Macgyver or Forrest Gump?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Angus MacGyver vs. Forrest Gump

john fallon said:
I will take a Forrest Gump over a McGiver any day.
John
This quote from Mr. Fallon got me a wondering how the rest of you felt about this.
If Angus MacGyver = the thinking retriever. The retriever that the wheels in the head are always turning. It can use it's wits and adapt to variables. It may be harder to train, may need to be reasoned with. Might not work "for" you but will work "with" you. May be a cheating, bank running fool for a time until you show him what you would like instead. Might not do drill work well cause of a boredom factor but when it is real work time will "get r done"

If Forrest Gump = the running full speed as sent retriever. The retriever that you point and shoot. Will line to piles all day long. Can do drills without question. Like the line from the movie "Gump! What is your purpose in this mans army? To do anything you tell me to sir!" May not be sure where he is once he is there but he sure got there fast. May not know where that duck went but he found the area of fall in three seconds.

What would you prefer, Angus Macgyver or Forrest Gump?

Ken Bora

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Gimme the Bubba Shrimp Co. skipper. He'd fall into a sh!t hole and come up with a rose, or an AOF and come up with a duck.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Meleagris said:
It's late and I'm feeling contrary--I'd go with McGyver. I really like a smart dog....

John
Yes John,
I also chose Angus. I have observed, in my personal experiences. Most all of the Chesapeakes and many of the Goldens I have interacted with seem to be McGyvers. Also, in my limited personal experience, some of the very top end Black Labs I have thrown birds for are Gumps. Not that anything is wrong with that. Gumps will be winning field trials while McGyvers are gaining access to the workers lunches. Yet, I do enjoy the interaction and challenge of working with a MacGyver, personally, in my opinion.
Ken Bora

·
Registered
402 Posts
I don't mind the thinking dog, it just gets really iritating sometimes when they are thinking too much......don't ponder why I am sending you on a blind retrieve, just go back.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Just because a dog is contrary doesn't mean it is intelligent.

Just because a dog has willingness to please doesn't make it stupid.

Personally, I HATE butting heads with a dog on a daily basis. I train 95% of the time. therefore, training should be fun. Why would I want a dog that doesn't retain the lesson?

Lisa

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ken:

If you're saying Chessies and goldens are MacGyver---I might have to change my mind :wink:

I want to qualify what I said a little. We own a black Forrest Gump. He is blazing fast and a beautiful dog who lives to work. At times he can be a spectacular marker. But let's just say, he's not the sharpest cheese in the refrigerator.

Now I have Skimmer. She is blazing fast, lives to work, and is VERY smart. She figures things out first or second try versus the 43rd time.

I'm more and more convinced Field trials are a test of desire and intelligence. You absolutely must have the desire, but after that intelligence is key. That money bird in most marking setups requires intelligence and problem solving. A dog absolutely must be sharp to get through. Maybe I haven't been around long enough but it seems to me that the thing that separates an AA dog is going to be intelligence. Lots and lots of dogs win and do well in derbies (demonstrating their marking ability) but never make it in an AA stake.

John

B

·
0 Posts
John, a well-thought out reply, in my opinion. Certainly a little something to think on, though.

Bob Z

·
Registered
97 Posts
Lisa Van Loo said:
Just because a dog is contrary doesn't mean it is intelligent.

Just because a dog has willingness to please doesn't make it stupid.

Personally, I HATE butting heads with a dog on a daily basis. I train 95% of the time. therefore, training should be fun. Why would I want a dog that doesn't retain the lesson?

Lisa
So, Lisa, what'd you pick?

Give me the McGyver any day...that way when my truck breaks down, all I have to do is toss him a roll of duct tape and sit back!

Plus McGyvers seem to thrive on a challenge more.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I prefer the intelligent dog.

But the way the poll was worded, ken drew his line between McGyver and Gump based on things that are entirely the TRAINER'S purvue.

Come to think of it, I prefer intelligent trainers, too.

based purely on how he had them defined, I would go with KEN's definition of "Gump". But I disagree that his definition is a mentally slow dog or otherwise lacking in intelligence. So I didn't vote.

Show me A Dog Who Hates Drills And I'll Show You An Unimaginative Trainer Regards,

Lisa

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm not sure that Ken described as much an unintelligent dog, as a dog that doesn't have a desire to think on its own.

I look at his poll (I guess Ken could tell us exactly what he meant) as being between a dog that prefers to think and act on its own, a "problem solver", perhaps...or a dog that prefers to be told what to think and what to do. A "robot", perhaps.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Nope.

Reread his definitions, and I'd still pick #2. He's not describing a robot, he's describing a GOOD DOG.

Why would you want anything else?

Nothing in description #2 precludes problem-solving capability. I think the problem is in the definition. The ASSUMPTION that if a dog isn't giving you headaches every day, it is somehow less of a dog? I don't know. Perhaps Ken will chime back in and clarify.

Dog #1 just sounds like a hard-head to me.

Lisa

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I have two dogs (out of six) that resemble both descriptions -- smart dogs that think when they work, and still run like rockets.

Great dogs.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I have them all.

Abby = McGyver

Rex = Forrest

Chopper = McGyver and Forrest had a baby, runs like Forrest, thinks like McGyver

Bailey = Bubba..... dez-uh, shrimp kaboobs, shrimp soup, shrimp gumbo

Boogie is to young to know, Buddy is to fat to care.

Shayne

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
"Life is like a chocolate lab pup...you never know what your gonna' get"-Forrest.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have one of each, both pups are from the same Dam but each has different Sires. My yellow is Forrest Gump all the way, line him up and pull the trigger and he?s off like a rocket. I had to take him to the vet yesterday he tore a pad something good stoping to grab a bumper.
My black is very intelligent almost to a fault he constantly presents challenges if he gets bored he finds stuff to get into. He in training is easily off on a completely different tangent if he sees something he is interested in.
Both present different challenges but I think long term I?ll enjoy the black dog over the years more, once we get through the adolescence.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts