RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I feel comfortable with Rhett being ready to be bred to a female. What would you consider the next necessary steps to getting him ready.

In my completely novice mind it would be titling him and getting the health clearances?

And after that how would I find a partner for him.

Sorry for asking all of these questions just trying to get this figured out.

Pierce

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Unless you are planning on buying your own female, the females come to you, not the other way around. That being so, your dog has to be something that would attract said owners of female dogs. Whether it is through titles, health clearances, looks, or pedigree (all of which are important, some people emphasize some over others). Remember to, that there are numerous stud dogs out there and your dog is competing with them for the females. There are many quality and talented males out there that never get bred.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha my days of mingling have been cut short at the ripe old age of 23. :p

There is still hope however for Mr. Rhett

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Look around for a few recently bred females of the caliber that you would like to breed to and see what stud they chose. What titles and clearances did the stud have? This should give you an idea of where your dog needs to be.

For me...

I have a 3 1/2 year old female that I may breed next year. She is UH HRCH, 5 for 5 in MH tests, and QAA with all health clearances. She's out of AFC male with a great pedigree and a FC/AFC Ford bitch MH. I'll look for a stud with FC/AFC and great pedigree behind him and a proven record of producing quality pups.

G

·
Ha my days of mingling have been cut short at the ripe old age of 23. :p
LOL, I only scanned your response when I got it via an email notification and suddenly felt really guilty, as in, you really were cut. Glad to see you were referring to your new way of life. :D Congratulations on your cut.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Look around for a few recently bred females of the caliber that you would like to breed to and see what stud they chose. What titles and clearances did the stud have? This should give you an idea of where your dog needs to be.

For me...

I have a 3 1/2 year old female that I may breed next year. She is UH HRCH, 5 for 5 in MH tests, and QAA with all health clearances. She's out of AFC male with a great pedigree and a FC/AFC Ford bitch MH. I'll look for a stud with FC/AFC and great pedigree behind him and a proven record of producing quality pups.
That's a really good idea. Btw sounds like you have a pretty darn good dog there.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL, I only scanned your response when I got it via an email notification and suddenly felt really guilty, as in, you really were cut. Glad to see you were referring to your new way of life. :D Congratulations on your cut.

Thanks ya its a pretty good cut,, she loves Rhett and that means a lot to me.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
also buy yourself a really good set of kneepads ;)

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Not sure how old your dog is but I'd first start with checking to see if he's even fertile first, get him to a repro vet and his semen checked. Then, go to www.offa.org and read up on the health clearances there, you can search by breed now for what is offered for testing, but basics are hips & elbows, eyes CERFed by AVCO vet, test for EIC and CNM if his parents aren't both clear and even if they are, if you're going to stud him, would be a good idea to verify that he's clear. Depending on his pedigree, PRA testing might be in order. In order to get any decent quality bitch owners to breed to him, he'll need to have a pedigree behind him and have something going on himself, HT titles can work, depending on your market and area. Unless the dog is really spectacular, bitch owners aren't going to travel far to him or spend $$ on AI, so think about your local area, "target market". Keep in mind there are LOTS of HT-titled studs that don't get bred much, same for FC AFC.

If you are just looking for a pup for yourself as you indicated on your other thread, then you'll still need the clearances, but whether you title him or not is up to you. You may be able to work out something with the owner of a local bitch you like just to get a breeding for yourself, a hunting buddy's female maybe, something like that. Just be responsible about your breedings when it comes to health clearances, as well as placement of the puppies, make sure the bitch has her clearances too, that her owner is ready, willing and able to do right by the pups.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure how old your dog is but I'd first start with checking to see if he's even fertile first, get him to a repro vet and his semen checked. Then, go to www.offa.org and read up on the health clearances there, you can search by breed now for what is offered for testing, but basics are hips & elbows, eyes CERFed by AVCO vet, test for EIC and CNM if his parents aren't both clear and even if they are, if you're going to stud him, would be a good idea to verify that he's clear. Depending on his pedigree, PRA testing might be in order. In order to get any decent quality bitch owners to breed to him, he'll need to have a pedigree behind him and have something going on himself, HT titles can work, depending on your market and area. Unless the dog is really spectacular, bitch owners aren't going to travel far to him or spend $$ on AI, so think about your local area, "target market". Keep in mind there are LOTS of HT-titled studs that don't get bred much, same for FC AFC.

If you are just looking for a pup for yourself as you indicated on your other thread, then you'll still need the clearances, but whether you title him or not is up to you. You may be able to work out something with the owner of a local bitch you like just to get a breeding for yourself, a hunting buddy's female maybe, something like that. Just be responsible about your breedings when it comes to health clearances, as well as placement of the puppies, make sure the bitch has her clearances too, that her owner is ready, willing and able to do right by the pups.

Thanks a lot for the response, I will keep those things in mind when the time comes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts