RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
The only "con" I can see is 30# for $68.95 plus shipping. I'm feeding Taste of the Wild and thought it was high.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A client brought a puppy that was on this formula. http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/products/puppy.aspx

If it pooped through a screen the wire wouldn't get dirty. Who feeds a dog an 80% protein diet? My vet was surprised the puppy didn't have any organ damage.

She did well on Eukanuba puppy.

Angie
Same here and she was giving it some liquid omega rich concoction on top of that. Reading their info sounds like some cult like talk. Nothing natural to me about a dog eating fish!

·
Registered
680 Posts
A client brought a puppy that was on this formula. http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/products/puppy.aspx

If it pooped through a screen the wire wouldn't get dirty. Who feeds a dog an 80% protein diet? My vet was surprised the puppy didn't have any organ damage.

Angie

Angie,

I gotta chime in here. I've fed Orijen. It's very good food. It is not 80% protein. Here is a quote from their website.

Formulated to match your dog's natural diet, ORIJEN ADULT is loaded with the protein-packed meat ingredients (80%) that Mother Nature intended all dogs to eat — including free-run chicken and turkey, whole eggs and wild-caught fish that are farmed or fished within our region by people we know and trust.
Passed 'fit for human consumption' ORIJEN's regional ingredients are delivered FRESH EACH DAY, so they're never frozen, preservative-free, and bursting with unprocessed, biologically appropriate proteins and fats to nourish your dog completely.
Carbohydrate-limited and grain-free to replicate the natural diet, ORIJEN supplies a full 20% of regional fruits, vegetables and botanicals — including kelp, juniper berries and marigold flowers — that are naturally rich in phytonutrients, B-vitamins and essential trace minerals.

Here is the analysis for their Adult Dog Food:

GUARANTEED ANALYSISCrude protein (min.)38.0 %Crude fat (min.)17.0 %Crude fiber (max.) 3.0 %Moisture (max.)10.0 %Calcium (min./max.)1.4 % / 1.6 %Phosphorus (min./max.) 1.2 % / 1.4 %Omega-6 (min.)3.0 %Omega-3 (min.)1.1 % DHA (min.)0.6 % EPA (min.)0.3 % AA (min.)0.16 %Carbohydrate (max.)25%Ash (max.)7.5%Taurine (min.)0.35 %Glucosamine (min.)1400 mg/kgChondroitin (min.) 1000 mg/kgMicroorganisms (min.) 120M cfu/kgpH5.5

That's 38% protein, not 80%.

I got Penn Hip results back today from a 14 month old pup who was weaned on Orijen Large Breed Puppy formula and ate it until she turned one year of age. She was in the 90th percentile with a DI of .30/.31.

Don't know what the problem was with the pup you got, but the food itself may not have been the problem. Maybe fed too much or switched too soon or an alergy. However, in my opinion Orijen is good stuff.

Swack

·
Registered
680 Posts
Same here and she was giving it some liquid omega rich concoction on top of that. Reading their info sounds like some cult like talk. Nothing natural to me about a dog eating fish!

Brad B,

You might want to do some research into the origins of the Labrador retriever. There are accounts of St. Johns waterdogs sitting on rocks next to the water and catching fish to eat! I can think of nothing more natural for a Lab to eat.

So tell me, what's so natural about a dog eating rice and corn gluten meal?

That stuff that sounds like "cult talk" might be them explaining a species appropriate diet. I think some people call it science.

Swack

·
Registered
408 Posts
You should talk to the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race mushers. They snack their dogs on frozen fish, usually salmon chunks, and those dogs are running nearly 1,000 miles. I just had a guy give me more than 100 pounds of salmon and halibut for the dogs. Had been in his freezer a little too long for human consumption. The dogs love it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I been giving mine sordeans since he was 12 weeks old and never had any problems. And have goOd results with making coat shineyer. So I don't see anything wrong with them eating it

·
Registered
435 Posts

Angie
Angie, please do your homework! This is an outstanding 5-star dry dog food. And, this food DOES NOT HAVE 80 % protein !!!!

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have fed my retrievers Orijen for quite some time. Currently I have switched to another type of QUALITY dog food as current research tends to support the practice of switching foods often. My dogs did very, very well on this food and I would not hesitate to feed again. I did have a friend of mine whose dog had gas problems with one of their products, but that same dog has temperamental "guts"... :)

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Okay,,, Got it. I didn't read the label,, you're right. I went by the front of the bag which is deceiving.

38% is still awfully high for a puppy. And it certainly didn't work for this puppy.

Angie

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have fed Orijen and rotated between their regular adult formula and fish formula for several years with multiple dogs. It is a terrific food. Yes.. it is more expensive but because it is so nutrient dense I feed less with this food. My performance dogs stay lean with good muscle which is vital for agility performance at the top of the game.

No complaints here.
Kim S. and the Lickety Split Girls

·
Registered
225 Posts
Does any one do Raw? I use a cup of dehydrated food (Honest Kitchen Prference) with some ground meat in the morning, and a couple of raw chicken thigh/leg quarters in the evening.

It's far less expensive than kibble, and my dog is healthy, and lean.

It cost a lot less, very little poop to clean, no allergy issues.

I have probably opened a huge can of worms with this post........

·
Registered
977 Posts
I am feeding the Sojos brand raw food supplement to my dog with sensitive digestion. Different brand than Honest Kitchen but similar: mix it with water and let it hydrate, then serve with raw meat. We get coarse ground beef and elk from a local processor for $1 a pound. It's the only thing we've found that he comes close to thriving on. It's just me, but I can't cope with the eating of whole raw pieces, the bones really bother me. Oh and my sensitive dog doesn't tolerate the meat raw, either. I defrost 2 2-lb chubs of meat and brown it, then store it in the fridge. We mix the hydrated Sojos and the browned meat at feeding time.

Our other dog could live on just the bags, LOL, but she's getting Innova.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I do feed raw for one meal per day.. sometimes Honest Kitchen / sometimes Bravo blends... but I like to keep them on one time a day kibble so they are used to it for travel. ( Orijen is the kibble I then use.)

Kim S and the Lickety Split Girls.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
My friends found out real quickly this winter not to leave their fish on the ice if my dog was around!!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Does any one do Raw? I use a cup of dehydrated food (Honest Kitchen Prference) with some ground meat in the morning, and a couple of raw chicken thigh/leg quarters in the evening.

It's far less expensive than kibble, and my dog is healthy, and lean.

It cost a lot less, very little poop to clean, no allergy issues.

I have probably opened a huge can of worms with this post........

I've been feeding raw. I'm not sure I'd do it with a puppy. I'm basically following the Leerburg/Ed Frawley plan. I feed backs, necks, quarters, turkey necks, livers, gizzards, and occasionally pork or beef. The dog (and her teeth) have never looked better. It's kind of a PITA, but it's no more expensive than good kibble. I've only had one issue with stools when I fed too much liver in a feeding.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Ain't no one twisting this one's tail...
Rick!

If your farmers down south weren't so wasteful that coyote wouldn't have to clean up their messes! Besides, I doubt there would have been piles of grain to eat before man got lazy and became agrarian. Man and dog both evolved as hunter gatherers and that is how our anatomy and physiology is programed. Grain isn't a major (or even a minor) component of our species appropriate diets.

Swack

1 - 20 of 25 Posts