RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just started Force Fetch training last week. By the end of the first week my pup got hold down real good on and off the table. So we started teaching the Fetch part of the program.

I've been at it since Monday and she is totally not getting it. This is what I do on the table. I am following the instructions of the guy I'm training with. But I wanted to see what others thought as well :)

I apply pressure (Ear Pinch) while buck is touching her lips and say FETCH!

She is just looking out to space and totally ignoring the pinch. She'll open her mouth if I put a finger in her mouth and say fetch but she absolutely refuses to make any effort to do it herself.

I think i'm doing something wrong because she's picked everything up so quickly even casting from a sit 6 feet away.

Am I maybe pinching in the wrong area of her ear or something? Or not enough pressure.

I'm giving her until tonights lesson then I'm calling my trainer again to see what he thinks.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
I would suggest having the training come over and watch how your working the pressure. That would be the easiest. Certain methods work better with dogs, some a squeeze in the same spot is what it takes while for some a circular motion gets em moving. Could be to much or not enough pressure as well. Hard to say with out seeing it.

/Paul

·
Registered
173 Posts
2 things come immediately to mind:

1. I dont say the word fetch until late in the FF process when the dog is diving for the object. Saying it from the begining can associate all the pressure with that word and can cause issues for some dogs.

2. The object that you are having the dog fetch is the escape mechanism. It is the means of relieving the pressure. I dont like holding the object in the dogs face. Hold the object behind your back, apply pressure, the present the object as the means of removing the pressure. You want the dog to want that object. Right now you are teaching the dog that everytime you hold something in thier face that you are going to apply pressure. The object holds no value as the escape mechanism.

3. No matter what method you are using a week is not a long time. Be patient with your dog!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeh i guess it's kind of a hard thing to offer input with out seeing what I'm doing. HEHE

But thank you for the input :) I'll call him tonight.

·
Registered
419 Posts
And there ya have the danger of getting too excited when the first week goes easily... LOL

She's confused and she's avoiding it. No big deal. I help them out in the beginning by opening their mouths after a bit and showing them how to turn off that pressure on the ear. After that, I just keep up the pressure against the front teeth and wait them out. At some point, it really has to become their own idea.

As you've already heard, it's hard to know what's what without seeing it, but in general, I don't turn up the pressure this early in the game. A week is no time at all in the grand scheme of things.

You can do this. :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks hhlabradors :)

Your right I was all excited cause she got hold so quick HAHAHA! Not hard to tell I'm a newbie eh LOL!

Yeh I think she is confused a bit as well.

Thanks for the words of encouragement :)

I am so going to post a picture of her holding a bird when she's done this hehehe.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If FF is easy, it's not going right (most of the time). Be patient and figure this out. I agree with the advice of others; teach her how to remove the pressure, THEN come on strong, and demand she do it right. There will come a day (maybe soon!) when she will test you and this is how you are going to fix it, so get this right.

FF and disciplining my children, the 2 things in my life that I hate the most, but have to do, and pay the most dividends down the road.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A big thank you :)

Wouldn't you know she started reaching for the buck last night :)

Before I started I thought long and hard on what I was doing and made the following changes.

1) Shortened the OB session to 5 minutes (Just to get her into focusing on me)

2) Used the "Front" Command when on the table (Which she knows) so she's sitting facing me not sideways

3) I had a feeling she was shutting down so right off the bat I used less pressue but did a cirular motion with my fingers. She was panting so I held the bumper 2 inches from her nose while the pressure was being applied and said nothing.

4) She actually reached for it in a few seconds and I said quitely "Good Fetch" and gave her a pat on the head. Waited about 5 seconds said "HOLD" then walked about 10 feet away and back in again and said Drop. (I tried this because she doesn't like to pay attention and it seemed to work)

I did this 5 times and she reached 5 times. Big difference I was maybe getting 1 or 2 reaches at best the day before.

Slowly mind you but it's a start.

Just wanted to thank everybody for the ideas and help. Hopefully we continue to progress :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts