RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
3,064 Posts
Gently restrain the dog. You are allowed to restrain the dog why take a chance on a pup breaking?? Play it safe.

No breakin' dogs here regards,

Andy

· Registered
3,252 Posts
Yes, definitely restrain him! As a very good pro I trained with told me when I ran my first one, you don't get any extra credit for a steady dog. And in Jr. since the dog can be restrained, you aren't allowed to have a control break.

Even though they are usually easier than an AKC Jr., HRC and NAHRA tests are good places to test your pup's steadiness off lead, since you can talk to the dog after you call for the birds (a quiet SIT reminder). Once you call for the birds in AKC, you can't say anything to your dog til after the judge releases you so you're SOL if the dog breaks.

· Registered
73 Posts
Julie R. said:
Yes, definitely restrain him! As a very good pro I trained with told me when I ran my first one, you don't get any extra credit for a steady dog. And in Jr. since the dog can be restrained, you aren't allowed to have a control break.

Hi, I intrepret it differently, on pg 36 #8 reads " The Judges shall reach an agreement about the degree they will consider a controlled break and shall be in agreement on scoring a Junior and Senior dog's Trainability for various degrees of controlled breaks."
To me, it seems, a controlled break is allowed in Junior, still I agree, I wouldn't take the chance & not use the lead.

· Registered
5,356 Posts
...a controlled break is allowed in Junior...
Draggin' 'em back to the line on the lead is not a controlled break. :p

Thanks for the replies. So I take it ya'll suggest that I purchase a collar?
Naw.....just hold 'em by both ears or the scruff of the neck.....that'll do. 8)

Always here to help regards, :wink:

kg

· Registered
1,317 Posts
I just ran a Junior test with my mature three year old dog. He is steady, but I still held his collar. He has an HR title in HRC, but I didn't want to donate $50 by allowing him to break this one time. I didn't want to leave it to chance, so what did I do? I held him, and then forgot and released him before they called his number. So I paid for a $50 ten minute lesson about waiting for the number or "dog".

· Registered
7,657 Posts
What if you forgot the guy's number. You supposed to call no bird while you ask him for it?

It's happened regards,

· Registered
635 Posts
flywaylabs said:
Sec 10 Chapter 3

"Judges SHALL call the number of the dog ordered to retrieve........."

Doesn't say "may" or "should"

Yep! that's what it says.

But answer honestly, if the Judge has a momentary lapse in memory, would you prefer he/she say "Dog" or would you and your dog rather wait until he searches through his book to find the dogs' number.

I think I would rather hear "Dog" and remind the Judge of which dog I'm running so the score is going on the correct score sheet.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.