RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you hear about the climbers trapped on Mt. Hood (yes, again)? It was a happy ending this time. The difference was the locator beacon they had and...their black lab, Velvet. Rescuers say the dog probably saved their lives by lying across the top of them at night,

Check it out.

http://www.katu.com/news/5941936.html

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I just saw a clip from the rescue showing the dog. It's black but had pointy ears.....might be part black lab. More than likely a case of a reporter sees a black dog and assumes it is a black lab instead of getting his facts straight.

Glad they all came off the mountain ok this time.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Richard Halstead said:
I been thinking that these participate in extreme sports should post a bond of some type to help with expense of rescue, otherwise the public is paying for the rescue.
I was thinking the same thing. Not only do they cost tax payers money but they risk live of others to save the lives these idiots. If they want excitement they should stay home and play russian roulette.

·
Registered
407 Posts
These idiots they go out and climb a wall at a sporting goods store and think their mountain climbers then go out in the middle of the winter and risk their own lives plus the potential lives of rescuers! I think if you do something so blatantly extreme for thrills your on your own! :evil:
Peake - Who thinks training Chessies is extreme enough for me. :p
________
Shemale videos

·
Registered
301 Posts
I been thinking that these participate in extreme sports should post a bond of some type to help with expense of rescue, otherwise the public is paying for the rescue.
I agree with this. There should be some fiscal responsibility for the participants.

Some of the other comments I will say, that just because you are not personally interested in it doesn't make it dumb, moronic, silly etc...

You know it seems that at times we can't accept things that don't orbit around ME-centric world and it gets old.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Be careful what you wish for. How many of you duck hunt? Would you like to post a bond to duck hunt the mississipp or the great lakes. There are plenty of unpublicized rescues on these bodies of waters annually.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I totally agree MF.

As for mountaineering w/ a dog, Mount Hood is a walk up for Pete's sake. It's not a technical climb. It's the weather and the snow that are the main risk factors this time of the year. No problem for a dog, obviously.

Do you guys who want to start charging for going into the backcountry or climbing, want to start charging for hunters tracking game in the backcountry too??? There are lost hunters that have to be rescued too you know..
Maybe we should start charging for anyone to walk in the woods.. My gosh! They could fall and break their ankle on the trails and then we'd have to get someone to bring them out! :roll:

Wouldn't you help someone lost? I think you would. Many of the Search and Rescue people are skilled in the backcountry themselves. That's what makes them good. I doubt they'd want to set up barriers to getting out.

Family of climbers, backpackers and off-trail hikers regards,

Bente

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
I know in CO you pay a "little" extra taxes on your hunting licenses for the Search and Rescue fund or something like that.

The guy behind the counter usually tries to make some type of apology to me when I'm paying for my license each year and he is explaining what everything means, like it is a bad thing - personally I like knowing that if I do get hurt or lost while hunting that the is a S&R team out there.....

Now I wished they would add the tax or make a license requirement for all the hikers and bikers out there too - why should just the hunters pay??

FOM

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hikers, campers and climbers are usually charged some kind of access fee. How that money is spent who knows. But maybee we should be more concerned that they were a rescue and not a recovery, and that if we were in their shoes that qualified rescue people are available.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One thing that is being looked at is a requirement that all climbers carry a locator beacon (which this group did have and the group of three climbers that died last month did not).

I heard today that Mt. Hood is the second most climbed mountain in the world (behind Mt Fuji). Like Bente said, the climb isn't too technical (depending on route), it's the weather that came up unexpectedly (what a surprise this time of year...not).

The one thing I've learned from this is if I climb Mt. Hood, I need to bring my dog as a survival blanket. :lol:

·
Registered
932 Posts
FOM said:
I know in CO you pay a "little" extra taxes on your hunting licenses for the Search and Rescue fund or something like that.

The guy behind the counter usually tries to make some type of apology to me when I'm paying for my license each year

FOM
because he Gnomes I can't see over the counter......................... : [/b] :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Re: not for me

DRAKEHAVEN said:
Did they ever find the last bodies from the last rescue ?
June at the earliest, prolly more likely July----if ever.

That mountain gets snowfall that makes the recent lake effect snow in New York look like a flurry. It ain't nutting but a thang to get 4 feet overnight- every night for a week or so.

Bears gotta eat too regards

Bubba

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I don't know anything about Mt. climbing but when talked to my brother (he's lived out there for many years) during the early part of the first rescue attempt, his comment was "they're dead".

Is it common kowledge in your area that many climbers die on Mt. Hood even tho it "is an easy climb"?

In regard to rescue costs, comparing the beach to a mountain might not be a very good comparison. Comparing it to the Gulf might be a better comparison. We have been told that if you go out into the Gulf of Mexico and need assistance, the fees with the Coast Guard are thousands of dollars. Additionally, no boater should expect any assistance from anyone on the oil rigs (where many people fish). You are pretty much on your own.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
like suelab i don't have any experience with mountains living in louisiana but fishing offshore has got to be very similar. when you fish 100-125 miles out you had better have your equipment together; sat phone, eperb, ect. why can't they jokers spring for locater beacons when they climb? if for no other reason than for the resue crews to find thier bodies and get then back to their families??????? blue water regards

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
MF said:
Be careful what you wish for. How many of you duck hunt? Would you like to post a bond to duck hunt the mississipp or the great lakes. There are plenty of unpublicized rescues on these bodies of waters annually.
I do hunt in the river at times. In the area where we go most are all have cell phone at min maybe nextel and walkie talkie. If a people have problems a buddy or fellow hunter will help. If the coast guard or other authorities is called its sadly most times a recovery not a rescue.

·
Registered
162 Posts
MT HOOD

I live in Seattle but travel to Portland and love seeing the view of it. It is beautiful. I have a problem with the climbers that go up there and then want to get bailed out when there is trouble. This last group had a beacon to help locate them. Many other parties do not, I do not think that the taxpayers should have to pay for their stupitdy. I think it should be closed during the winter, you climb it anyway and don't come down oh well, we will find your body or the bears will. I think that if you climb it you have to have insurance to pay for rescue in case, JMHO

1 - 20 of 48 Posts