RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a post where they ran three series in a senior test a double land,a walk up followed by a blind and finally a water double with blind.I haven't run any test this year and was curious what the judges are running in the tests a walk up double or seperate walk up single.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Depends on # of entries and start time and how many pros with large number of dogs, etc.. A huge number of senior dogs and you might not get a walk up. A small number and you might get a seperate walk up. Also keep in mind rules for walk up are different this year, bird must be "presented" between 35-45 yards and no locater call is used. A walk up is not required in senior but "should" be done per the rules.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I did a number of senior tests last fall where the walk up was the shot flyer on the land double.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Basically, the judges include the elements of a SH test but they may vary how the elements are presented depending on the resources available to them.

I've used double blinds in Senior for instance. Neither the land nor water resource available for the marks supported a blind. So, we used another part of the pond and a field next to it for the double blind and then walk 25 yards to the IP for the water marks.

I've seen many dogs that are so used to 2 marks and a blind in training that they mentally screw up when presented with anything else. So, the short answer is to train your dog for the elements of Senior and let the judges decide how they'll be mixed and matched.

Eric

·
Registered
952 Posts
We ran several of our 5 Senior tests where the flyer and mark were a walk-up. I ran one where we had a walk up double on land with no land blind. On water, we had a double mark and a double blind; one water and turn around and run one back up on the land.

·
Registered
350 Posts
At the CKRC test this weekend, the walkup was part of a water double, With a long water blind and an honor on day one. Then on day two with different judges a true walkup single then a double on land with the flier being the memory bird, 100yd blind where you lost sight of your dog for a few seconds and an honor.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply looks like many different variables train on everything only thing in stone the walk up is 35 to 45 yards land or water.

·
Registered
165 Posts
have to brag a little on my dog. At CKRC on Sunday, in Senior, my dog, Hickory Withe's Colonel Reb BLM, was only dog to line blind on land. Not trying to be braggart but very proud of my dog and his ability to keep straight lines on his blinds.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Thanks for the reply looks like many different variables train on everything only thing in stone the walk up is 35 to 45 yards land or water.
The walk up must be "Presented" to the dog at 35-45 yards it may land closer or farther away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts