RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep seeing posts from people that state, "no Lean Mac" in the lines. I realize he has been prolific in breeding, but why or what is the reasoning for not wanting him in the line?

·
Registered
9,636 Posts
Ever see him run? I did, numerous times.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ever see him run? I did, numerous times.
No sir, I did not have that privilege. Ive only been messing with Labs for HT and lower level FT for about 8 years. There are a number of the older famous dogs that I would have loved to watch run, even on video. Actually had a conversation with an older FTer last weekend and the topic of Creeping came up and Cosmos was their example. Id love to sit with a group of long time FT handlers and just listen about the dogs that kinda shaped the modern AA dogs. If anyone reads this and wants to Share, Im all ears!

·
Registered
9,636 Posts
I am not sure where Marvin’s opinion comes from but Maxx was a great dog. He infused the breed with some genetic issues but make no mistake he was a generational dog and I have lived with a couple of generational dogs with N in front of their name.
I have heard the genetic thing from many I respect their opinion. We had a very good
Derby field on the coast when he ran, Code Blue among those, he was not outstanding.
He developed a reputation that many judges favored. Rather than generational I would
go with reputational, read the book Stud about horses to recognize how he was marketed.

Anyone who favors a balanced dog would not have accepted his water blinds & at a
couple of AA stakes I saw him come apart on big water. If you like a dog crabbing down
to the water on a water blind he would be your dog & he threw that in his very expensive
pups out of really good females.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not sure where Marvin’s opinion comes from but Maxx was a great dog. He infused the breed with some genetic issues but make no mistake he was a generational dog and I have lived with a couple of generational dogs with N in front of their name.
I was hoping you might answer. I guess the best dog that Ive ever seen in person was Ali. It blew me away. There are tons of dogs Id like to see now, maybe at the next NRC.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have heard the genetic thing from many I respect their opinion. We had a very good
Derby field on the coast when he ran, Code Blue among those, he was not outstanding.
He developed a reputation that many judges favored. Rather than generational I would
go with reputational, read the book Stud about horses to recognize how he was marketed.

Anyone who favors a balanced dog would not have accepted his water blinds & at a
couple of AA stakes I saw him come apart on big water. If you like a dog crabbing down
to the water on a water blind he would be your dog & he threw that in his very expensive
So I have heard that Cosmo was a vocal, massive creeper, any reason he doesnt get the same opinion from you. Are there other famous dogs that you have negative feel for? They all have quirks, just wondering.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
So I have heard that Cosmo was a vocal, massive creeper, any reason he doesnt get the same opinion from you. Are there other famous dogs that you have negative feel for? They all have quirks, just wondering.
Marvin has nothing but negative feelings judging by his RTF posts.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
I have heard the genetic thing from many I respect their opinion. So your mystery unidentified opinion "sources" cancel out the unprecednted accomplishments of LM both in the field and the breeding shed? We had a very good
Derby field on the coast when he ran, Code Blue among those, he was not outstanding. The ..."NOT OUTSTANDING"...LeanMac only managed to scratch out 120+ Derby points & was really exposed while running against that... "very good Derby field on the coast"
go with reputational, so there was a huge conspiracy amongst the hundreds of judges across two countries who awarded LM 100's of Derby points and AA points and awarded him 4 National Championships and allowed him to get called back in 125+ CONSECUTIVE National series. Gotcha Marv!!Gee, thanks Marv for pulling back the curtain & exposing the truth about that worthless cur, and all of the dishonest/stupid judges involved in this nefarious conspiracy read the book Stud about horses to recognize how he was marketed. Gotcha, so truly a case of...."All sizzle no steak"

to the water on a water blind he would be your dog You already convinced me about the conspiracy & he threw that in his very expensive
pups out of really good females. So the conspiracy is even bigger than we thought? A 2nd generation of judges carried the conspiracy on to as we award numerous FC AFC titles to 150+ of his worthless crab crawling offspring. Additionally the marketing blitz made 1000's of seemingly intelligent puppy buyers get tricked
Your insights are always entertaining

Have a nice day Marv.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Marv has some pretty strong opinions on Cosmo as well as Lean Mac.
Both Mr Olson the owner of Cosmo & Mr Scott the owner of Lean Mac were known not to suffer fools lightly.
Coincidence??? :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Marv has some pretty strong opinions on Cosmo as well as Lean Mac.
Both Mr Olson the owner of Cosmo & Mr Scott the owner of Lean Mac were known not to suffer fools lightly.
Coincidence??? :)
I like it. Id love to know the strengths and weaknesses of these great dogs, also why be negative about such accomplished dogs. Surely EVERY judge they ran under wasnt in the pocket of the owner!

·
Registered
10,113 Posts

I’ll not waste time with a debate but having judged him a couple of times and run against him I never saw any of that. He did win two Nationals, one with Sherwin handling him. He sired some wonderfully talented dogs so count me in the positive on Maxx but not so on Cosmo whose behavior I found off putting. Lost in the Lean Mac discussions who give Lardy much of the credit fail to know or remember that he was NAFC before Mike ever touched him, for that you can credit Don Remien.

·
Registered
10,113 Posts
I like it. Id love to know the strengths and weaknesses of these great dogs, also why be negative about such accomplished dogs. Surely EVERY judge they ran under wasnt in the pocket of the owner!
I would never dance on a dead person’s grave but Maxx did not win based on Sherwin’s likeability, Marvin’s recall notwithstanding he was a very talented dog.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
"Pro-" Maxx-imum retro rocketship - top and bottom. Only "N" in front of her name so far would be for NASA-rated coefficient... And the test flights (training) are a joyride of epic proportion, land and water, marks and Exocet and (for Marv) torpedo blinds--

Hair Hand Sky Sunglasses People in nature

MG

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
Marc, I can't say for sure I remember the exact post and it may be a "rural rtf legend", but someone said that Marvin once posted that Maxx was so watershy he would crab to his bowl to drink and was administered I.V. fluid replacement twice a week to avoid dehydration. Does anyone remember that post?;)

·
Registered
959 Posts
I know some people just want something different. There seem to be a group of people looking for older lines and/or pedigrees that are just different

It doesn't take long to see the tremendous positive impact he had on the game with just a quick search. The amount of amazing dogs he produced directly or down the line from him is extremely impressive.

I personally don't care if he's in my pedigrees and if you are buying nice FT breedings he's most likely going to be in there.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had the pleasure of pre-national training at I believe LM's last NRC in 2000 (Ardmore, OK) Which by the way was won by his son NFC "Prize". The dog I was running for a friend in pre-national training was also a LM bitch that had a pretty nice career with 95 AA points, a double header, and a derby win and Open 2nd in the same trial. Also open wins with multiple handlers. All Amateur trained and handled by someone who worked full time. I have owned a few sired by LM, and have been around many that he sired in training. Needless to say, I am in agreement with Dr Ed

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not to hijack the thread, so feel free to message me, but I would love to hear more about Ali. He’s one I always want to hear more about.
Thanks!
What I saw from him was pure power and desire. The kind of dog that threw gravel on marks as well as blinds. He had that "IT" factor that folks talk about. When he walked to the line, he commanded attention. Just a wonderful animals to watch. I have a female out of him that I wouldnt take anything for.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts