RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I was at Ardmore ! I saw Mac fail the wb , I saw Prize win the National! Lean Mac is not the only great dog but if he’s not in your pedigree others have a better chance. Great dog ; not the only one but a great dog
Let the debate continue!
Dk
I too was there. Several whistle refusals. It was actually sad to watch.
Prize’s 9th series water marks were unbelievable!!!
Cold as hell that week😬

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Yes it was cold “ really cold” at Ardmore ! Seeing the wb Mac failed u ll recall the shinny soda/ beer can under the bank Mac swam to! The sun was just right to make it real shinny. The blind was 20 yards or so to the left. 30 minutes later the can couldn’t be seen. talk about bad luck !!
it seems so long ago but I m still here so maybe not so long ago.

All - enjoy y

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Similar thing happened at our club trial this year. Sun glaring off a wet branch on the edge of the water took one dog out.
Before and after that dog ran it was not visible.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
I keep seeing posts from people that state, "no Lean Mac" in the lines. I realize he has been prolific in breeding, but why or what is the reasoning for not wanting him in the line?
If I were to guess it is because they have a female with multiple Lean Mac ancestors in her 4 generation pedigree.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Maxx was an awesome animal, competitor, and a stellar producer of field trial progeny. The best advertisement EVER, was a full page, in the old RFTN; Maxx had won another one of his NAFCs. His national pic was at the center of the page, 5/6 of his progeny, finalists pics' arched around him, and another 20/25 of his progeny, national entrants pics', circled the center winner/finalists. No . . . that stud was not deceased and 3 decades in the grave; HE and HIS GET all competed against on another that June! WOW! That was impressive!

I've had the good fortune to train, stand next to, and breed some fine animals, some brown, and some black. Being a chesapeake aficionado has afforded me a different perspective on the breeding issue. With 150K+/- labs registered with the AKC each year, and only 5K +/- peakes registered with the AKC each year, when breeding peaks, genetic diversity is crucial. Chesapeake folks would/will "stampeed breed" to the next top FC/AFC/hot commodity, and since there are SO FEW, these sires can become quite influential within the breed, for better or worse. The least desirable pedigree is that of a "you might be a red neck, if your family tree goes STRAIGHT UP!" With that being said, conscientious breeding and genetic testing has afforded breeders the ability to breed away from genetic afflictions.

Right now, brown dog readers are tuned in, . . . lab folks are wondering, where is this lengthy thread is going, and WHY is self proclaimed "Chesapeake aficionado" commenting in a thread on OUR beloved Maxx?!?

Well I have blacks as well, and breed an occasional litter. I have had a Maxx son and I currently own a Grady bitch. However, when looking for a stud, I am of the "try to find something a little different/other than same variety" as the vast majority of competitive trial dogs have Maxx THROUGHOUT their pedigree. You can always come back in on Maxx and his lines, as their are so many options. Someone mentioned earlier about crossing to Grady; well Grady's grandsire is Maxx, do not misunderstand my point; BOTH ARE AWESOME COMPETITORS/PRODUCERS, BUT breeding (and Life) is about choices, and having options is ALWAYS GOOD.

So my advise, in relationship to the future of the breed of Labrador Retrievers-subset- "American/Canadian Field Trial Retriever"- IS that we should not pigeon hole our breeding options. Create sound outcrosses, so as to create/leave options will only strengthen our wonderful breed, moving forward.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I too was there. Several whistle refusals. It was actually sad to watch.
Prize’s 9th series water marks were unbelievable!!!
Cold as hell that week😬
He was having problems hearing whistles. Several different types were used throughout pre national to try and find something that worked. It was not just the water like some others had mentioned. Just an old dog running his last National.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
He was having problems hearing whistles. Several different types were used throughout pre national to try and find something that worked. It was not just the water like some others had mentioned. Just an old dog running his last National.
Same with these ones , just that they don't know .
Sky Cloud Bird Mesh Pet supply

101 - 107 of 107 Posts