RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've got a significant anthill in our dog yard. Any suggestions on how to kill them that won't affect the dogs?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The safest is to spread diatomaceous earth around the ant hills. The diatomaceous earth acts like sand paper and cuts up the underbellies of the ants. Another possibility is to pour soapy water down the hills. Both will require multiple applications and will generally just cause the ants to relocate their hills to a nearby location. I've heard some say that Boric acid crystals work better than the diatomaceous earth, but I don't think it would be that safe in a kennel. If you are considering an insecticide, you will need to identify what type of ant you have in order to determine the correct chemical to use and its proper dosage.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Eric,

I'm assuming these are fire ants. God, how I hate them!

Get the dogs out of the area and moved to somewhere safe. Lay down a thick circle of ORTHO HOME DEFENSE spray about a foot away from the base of the mound. Disturb the mound, and when they boil out, lay waste to 'em. Don't stop spraying until nothing is moving. Come back in a couple hours and repeat. if you find survivors, let 'em have it. 2 applications have always worked for me. Every time we pull into a new campground in the South, I survey the site and eradicate any that I find.

Once the nest is dead, take a shovel and bag up the contaminated earth. At that point, it should be safe for the dogs to be let back in.

Good luck, and remember to lay down that "moat" around the mound first. That way, nothing escapes or gets back in.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I always take one and tack the body down at the street with a sign . . No fire ants here!

It's been several years since I've had a mound in the "people" areas of the property so I has wondering inf there is anything new. Your suggestion is new. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I always take one and tack the body down at the street with a sign . . No fire ants here!

It's been several years since I've had a mound in the "people" areas of the property so I has wondering inf there is anything new. Your suggestion is new. Thanks.
I don't know what kind of ants you have but we sprinkle cornmeal on the mound. The ants cannot digest cornmeal so it plugs them up and kills them. They also pack it down into the depths of the hill for storage so all of the ants are affected. It may take several applications but we have exactly 0 anthills of the 5 rather sizable hills we started the Spring with.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good idea. The dogs can still be free then. Will report back.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Boiling water is another option, did that wen I lived in FL. It may take a couple of applications.

Tom

·
Registered
21 Posts
Boiling water is another option, did that wen I lived in FL. It may take a couple of applications.

Tom
I’ve always liked the one about taking a shovel of ants from one mound and putting it on another. The ants start a war and kill each other.
Direct from one of our spiny Georgia bird boys 😀

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You got that Paul. The real problem is that when you move ants from mound A to mound B, you then need to move some from mound B back to mound A. I don't have a shovel with a long enough handle to keep me safe.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Gasoline and a match?

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like to run over the mounds with my John Deere 970 and rotary mower but that only works in the field. Still, the thought of those suckers being swirled and bashed against the mower housing gives comfort. Near the house I'm looking for a more permanent solution. I've got some stuff I'll sprinkle on and reoprt back.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Raid Max Ant & Roach is most effective I've found for ant hills. BUT, can says it continues working for 6 weeks (as I remember) so probably not good for your purposes unless dogs can be gone for some time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts