RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

My name is Steve and this is my first day as a member of this forum. I have a five month old chocolate Lab named BUB. This is my first time training a gun dog and I have a lot to learn! :) I live in Alaska so there is not as many resources available locally as say the states. I have got some great help from a couple of buddies in the area who do great with there dogs, and have way more expierence then me. However I hate to over use there help because they have there dogs to train. In short I would very much appreciate any and all tips/recommendations any body could provide for a first time trainer. It is quickly becoming a passion and I love my dog so i don't want to screw this up!

Thank You All,

Steve and BUB

·
Registered
952 Posts
Get a good book/video training program. Smartworks by Evan Graham is good.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Welcome Steve and Bub!! Lots of good info and helpful folks here. Good luck to you and your new addition with whatever path you two choose.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Hello Everyone,

My name is Steve and this is my first day as a member of this forum. I have a five month old chocolate Lab named BUB. This is my first time training a gun dog and I have a lot to learn! :) I live in Alaska so there is not as many resources available locally as say the states. I have got some great help from a couple of buddies in the area who do great with there dogs, and have way more expierence then me. However I hate to over use there help because they have there dogs to train. In short I would very much appreciate any and all tips/recommendations any body could provide for a first time trainer. It is quickly becoming a passion and I love my dog so i don't want to screw this up!

Thank You All,

Steve and BUB
If you help your buddies with their dogs in training, I can't see why they would not help you. Scratch my back and ....:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And I have and they have helped me. However different schedules different spots of training etc. and we will still help each other but all the info i can get the better!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Then as stated above, find a sequential program and follow it to a tee. Good luck to you :) Too bad there isn't a retriever club close to you?

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
Decide on the goals for your dog. I know you said Gundog but do you want the dog to do multiple marks? How about taking hand signals to run blinds?
Learn the vocabulary so you can ask reasonable questions. There is a list of dog terminology on the front page of this site.

Start developing a list of training equipment and start acquiring.

Decide if you are going to be an ecollar trainer or not.

If you are going to train alone buy the DVD Training a Retriever Alone by Denis Voigt.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
What part of Alaska do you live in? There are some fine retriever clubs that could be an excellent resource.

Evan

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Steve - If you are near Fairbanks we have an excellent group of experienced folks that will be happy to train with you and Bub. We will be providing a puppy class for a lot of new folks that will begin on March 16th. You can go to our website at: www.fairbanksretrieverclub.org and read more about the class and our club (including contact info).

If you are near Anchorage - there are a number of Clubs down there as well and I would be happy to get you in contact with any of them.

Best and looking forward to meeting you and Bub - Russ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts