RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As president of the Panhandle HRC, I just received a letter explaining the plight of dog owners in Louisville KY.

While I am inclined to "chip-in" and help any organization fight HSUS and other well funded ANTI organizations, I am more concerned in how this particular fight is being waged. It seems analogous to the dude cutting the tail off the rattler without first cutting off its' head.

Don't you folks need to change the members of your incredibly ignorant city council first? Like Ron White sez, "You can't fix stupid!"

Sorry, but IMFWBHDAO, you need to start by finding some intelligent folks to govern your city, not a batch of ignoramuses that are probably on the dole as well as mucking up the lives of pet owners.

The only way you get representation of this sort is by allowing everyone getting the handouts to elect those that only run things so they stay in power and continue to hand it out.

You MAY get enough funds to present a fight for overturning your present incredulous situation, but what's to stop those in power from renegeing once your back is turned? Until Louisville and other cities of similar pursuasion, are willing to remove the ignorance from their city halls, citizen's freedoms will continue to be eroded. What's being requested here is at best a band aid.

UB

·
Registered
409 Posts
I've donated to the LKC because they need all the help they can get fighting bad ordinances that the HSUSA and others have convinced the city council that all animals picked up by animal control must be sterilized before being released. Then there's the CA bill that all pet animals must be sterilized because there is a pet over population.

Clubs that support any type of dog activities need to be joining together to defeat the HSUSA and PETA organizations.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I agree with the lady.

All that is needed in any community is someone who is active in PETA or HSUS agendas and is willing to establish those ideas in their community. Most of the residents and council could care less what the ordinanaces become because if they have a dog, it is already neutered and they already believe and have been told that's "the way it should be". Most of the community keeps their dogs in the yard and are not active in any K9 activity.

Saving money on animal control and the pound seems like a "no brainer" for the city governments. As each large city accepts the agenda of the animal rights groups, it will be easier for the next city/town to accept a similiar change in policy.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SueLab said:
I agree with the lady.

All that is needed in any community is someone who is active in PETA or HSUS agendas and is willing to establish those ideas in their community. Most of the residents and council could care less what the ordinanaces become because if they have a dog, it is already neutered and they already believe and have been told that's "the way it should be". Most of the community keeps their dogs in the yard and are not active in any K9 activity.

Saving money on animal control and the pound seems like a "no brainer" for the city governments. As each large city accepts the agenda of the animal rights groups, it will be easier for the next city/town to accept a similiar change in policy.

Then I maintain, you have the wrong people in government. If you don't know who you are voting for to run your cities affairs, you will find out you are being regulated by the Law of Perverse Outcomes. That's where people no longer get what they expect, but what they deserve.

Know what your elected officials believe and will vote for BEFORE you agree with them by voting for them.

UB

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I don't disagree with your reasoning but you must realize: Dog people are the minority! Most of the population is concerned about feeding and raising children - animals are not a priority. The rest of the population are involved in feel good people-oriented activities. Many are just too busy and too stressed to enjoy life and just work to make ends meet.

Most of the population were weaned on Bambi so hunting and like activities are not mainstream or acceptable any more to most of the population. Many think that the meat in the store is produced in a factory not on the hoof.

You are one vote as are the dog people in Ky. Sometimes changing the old guard just cannot be done. Sometimes the popular opinion of the voters do not match what you and I would like since the interests are not the same.

Until you personally are faced with anti-dog legistlation in your state, I don't think you will understand how many difficulties those opposing such legistlation are going through. Texas just passed HB 1355 which makes an owner of a viscous dog (one that maims or kills) a felon and would face up to 20 years in prison. The pro dog groups mananged to get ammendments added that excluded AKC and State club events, herding dogs, search and rescue dogs, and service dogs from this penalty. The only other defense is basically that the dog is secure behind a wall at all times or the victim is committing a crime. Whether the meaning of "maiming" has been clearly defined is a question that will be answered in the courts in the future. Another consequence of this legistlation is that your home owners policy may no longer be responsible for any dog related injury...

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I don't disagree with Uncle Bill but for the timing. Elections are once every 2 or four years. The lawsuit is now.

Eric

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
One other thought...the Texas group that worked on this legistlation just sent out an email that the costs incurred are over 5,000. They also were asking for monetary help...as the saying goes "nothing in life is free"

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SueLab said:
One other thought...the Texas group that worked on this legistlation just sent out an email that the costs incurred are over 5,000. They also were asking for monetary help...as the saying goes "nothing in life is free"
Including FREEDOM! What you describe is complacency. Our nation is experiencing the fruits of that thinking everywhere, it's just more prevelant in some areas because they continue to vote for that form of leadership.

What I'm seeing has nothing to do with a few dog people, but it has to do with the liberal bent in some areas running roughshod over the rights of its' citizens. There's plenty to go around, and it's getting more and more to resemble communistic rather than liberal.

The Wayne Pacells and his ilk are nothing but a batch of raving anti Americans, preying on the citizenry, to come to power over them. And so many of these citizens are just spineless and allow their freedoms to be legislated away.

Of course when it comes to dogs, we are now seeing 'our' ox being gored. And I suspect no one on this BB isn't at least in sympathy with what's happening in Kentucky, but these same folks will continue to support other kooky ideas espoused by some equally radical nitwit, ergo we still end up with ignorance on city councils.

UB

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Uncle Bill said:
SueLab said:
Including FREEDOM! What you describe is complacency. Our nation is experiencing the fruits of that thinking everywhere, it's just more prevelant in some areas because they continue to vote for that form of leadership.

What I'm seeing has nothing to do with a few dog people, but it has to do with the liberal bent in some areas running roughshod over the rights of its' citizens... UB
I don't disagree but the problem is that people who think like you and me are the minority..."dog people" is just what we have in common and that past time is what is being attacked now...

Gee, you sound a lot like Charlton Heston and his famous college graduation speech regarding censorship...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts