RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I’m sure everyone knows, they are tough to locate right now. I am a member of a new club that’s trying to get started and we have our first test coming up in November, but cannot find poppers anywhere. If your club has some to spare or you know where we can get some, please let me know. Obviously, we will pay for any that can be spared. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
As I’m sure everyone knows, they are tough to locate right now. I am a member of a new club that’s trying to get started and we have our first test coming up in November, but cannot find poppers anywhere. If your club has some to spare or you know where we can get some, please let me know. Obviously, we will pay for any that can be spared. Thanks!
Map gas boom guns. Even harder will be live ammo for flyers, but those can be reloads unlike HRC requirement for factory primer loads. Primers are real hard to find as well. Expect price increases across the broard.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The only place I've found them recently is Mack's Prairie Wings. They're Fiochhi, my preferred ones, but they're significantly more expensive than I've paid in the past - $21.99. Looks like you can't order a flat. Fiocchi Shotgun Blank 12 Ga 2 3/4" 25 Rd They have Kent at $186.99/flat. Apparently you can't buy a box of 25. Go figure. Kent ProTrial Field Blank 12 Ga 2 1/2" Case 250 Rd

Midway USA has Kent poppers in stock. Significantly cheaper than Fiocchi and Kent from Macks PW. $14.99/25 - $159.99/flat. I don't understand why a flat is $10 more than 10 boxes of 25. Makes no sense. Kent Cartridge ProTrial Field Blank Ammo 12 Ga 2-1/2 Smokeless Blank

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Where is that in the rule book?
I don't know if it is in the rulebook or not. I was told it is an insurance requirement to limit liability. Ran into the issue when attempting to use a 20 gauge for a youth handler.

My real life experience of reloading "lots" of shells leads me to believe that who crimps the hull and inserts the primer has no ramifications from a safety perspective.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
My real life experience of reloading "lots" of shells leads me to believe than who crimps the hull and inserts the primer has no ramifications from a safety perspective.
I could understand a rule against reloaded ammo.
All the HRC “poppers“ I have seen were just primed hulls. How could a safety issue depend on who put the primer in the hull?
I search the HRC rulebook and did not find any rule about factory loaded poppers.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I could understand a rule against reloaded ammo.
All the HRC “poppers“ I have seen were just primed hulls. How could a safety issue depend on who put the primer in the hull?
I search the HRC rulebook and did not find any rule about factory loaded poppers.
"SAFETY - AMMUNITION – The HRC Board of Directors has voted to allow individual Clubs to choose whether to use Factory - Loaded Poppers OR Factory - Primer (only) shells. All categories at the Hunts must use either ALL Poppers or ALL Primer only shells. Gun Safety is of utmost priority to HRC, Inc., HRC Clubs and HRC members. Clubs may load their own Primer Only shells using new (unused) hulls which must be rolled. "

From: https://www.huntingretrieverclub.org/PDF/HRC_UKC_GENERAL_POLICIES_W_INDEX.pdf

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
"SAFETY - AMMUNITION – The HRC Board of Directors has voted to allow individual Clubs to choose whether to use Factory - Loaded Poppers OR Factory - Primer (only) shells. All categories at the Hunts must use either ALL Poppers or ALL Primer only shells. Gun Safety is of utmost priority to HRC, Inc., HRC Clubs and HRC members. Clubs may load their own Primer Only shells using new (unused) hulls which must be rolled. "

From: https://www.huntingretrieverclub.org/PDF/HRC_UKC_GENERAL_POLICIES_W_INDEX.pdf
It takes a committee to come up with pointless, unnecessary rules like that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It takes a committee to come up with pointless, unnecessary rules like that.
Don't like the rules, don't play the game. I would guess that it is done for quality assurance. There are enough variables at a hunt test, winger issues, electronics dying, bird techs, the birds themselves, wind, etc, that non-factory ammo doesn't need to be a variable.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
There is a huge shortage of 209 primers right now. The primer only loads are not a priority when the major manufacturers cannot get enough to keep up with demand for hunting loads. Nobody will be playing the game if clubs cannot get factory primer loads.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Don't like the rules, don't play the game. I would guess that it is done for quality assurance. There are enough variables at a hunt test, winger issues, electronics dying, bird techs, the birds themselves, wind, etc, that non-factory ammo doesn't need to be a variable.
I don’t play that game but I have good friends that do. The last thing they need to worry about when trying to organize an event is the availability of factory poppers.
If the intent of the rule was quality assurance the board members making the decision had no clue. Putting a new primer on a spent hull is a very simple task. I can’t think of a way it could be screwed up.
The rule about the use of wingers is another stupid one IMO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts