RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 month old pup that started showing signs of a stiff neck/shoulder area Thurs. and had a temp of 103.2* plus diahrrea. He has no lung problems or discharge or coughing or vommiting. Just slow lethargic and walks like he has a neck brace on and doing a lot of whining/crying. He was eating and drinking fine at that point. Brought him in to the vet Friday and they thought it was a neck muscle strain or injury etc etc. They said the temp and diahrrea could have been caused by the stress of the pain but gave antib. just in case and some Rymadyl for the muscles. He seemed to get a little better over the weekend but took a dive this am. He wouldn't even lift his head for a piece of cheese and is crying in pain frequently. He passed out on the way to the vet this am and they gave him morphine right away. (they think he passed out from the pain) X-rays show organs are normal and they don't know what else they can do for him. They want us to bring him to the U of M for more tests because they think it's some form of Encephalitis. My husband and I are now trying to arrange for time off etc. for the trip down but I'm worried he won't make it. The things I found while looking up information are not good. I just want to know what to prepare for. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michele

·
Registered
419 Posts
Michele,

I don't have any experience with encephalitis, but I wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and praying for your pup. I've had some recent experience that made me VERY aware to the pain and fear you're feeling now. I'm so sorry.

Hold your little guy, touch him, talk to him. I believe in the power of positive energy, no matter how one labels or defines it.

Please let us know how things go.

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Years ago, I had purchased a pup that was a littermate to Jazztime. At about 13 weeks, he came down with parvo. After 7 days of 24 hour IV care in isolation, he developed encephalitis. He fought hard to overcome it but his little body just couldn't endure.

Hopefully at 5 months your outcome will be different....and I echo what Eleanor said.

kg

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a quick update the little guy is hanging in there. His temp came down from 104 to 102 and they have him on IV fluids, antibiotics, and morphine. The vet said he should be stable until morning and we will head down to the U then to see a nuerologist (Alistar McVay sp?) supposed to be one of the best in our 5 state area. I was told they will likely do a cerebral spinal tap and get answers that way. I'm glad it's somewhat good news as I was physically ill at work today with worry. I just wish I could be there with him tonight.

Thanks for the caring words and encouragement. They mean a lot. His name is Mongo from our female Dino and father Buck. Here is a picture I took recently while we were out having fun.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I wish all the best for Mongo. Glad to hear he's hanging in there. I am sending some good thoughts his way for a complete recovery.

Andy

·
Registered
918 Posts
What a Beautiful Pup! I hope that everything turns out alright and he is back to a bouncing, healthy lab soon. Keep us posted on what they find and how he's doing.

Kris
Blacktail Labradors

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
I'll say a prayer for you and Mongo tonight.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I can imagine what you are going through. Hang in there, prayers coming your way. And positive thoughts and energy will never hurt. He is such a beautiful, beautiful boy. Glad to hear he's doing a little better and good luck at the neurologists.

Kourtney

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Oh what a beautiful boy. Sending prayers your way.
Please keep us updated.
Take Care,
Becky

G

·
Prayers from Georgia for a quick and pain-free recovery... We're pulling for you. Thanks for sharing the picture, adds a few more tugs to the heartstrings... :) He looks like a sweetie...

-K

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
He has one of those mushy, kissable faces. Here's to hoping you post up a happy ending & that he's pain free soon.

M

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Had a very similar situation with Diesel when he was about the same age as yours. Spinal tap was negative for encephalitis, but he had a very high fever.

After 5 days (and nearly $4000) at the Specialty Hospital ICU, we were able to bring him home. Diagnosis was "fever of unknown origin"

There were no residual problems at all.

Hope you have as good an outcome.

Jeff

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Our baby Mongo didn't make it. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ms Gunn was right they determined Wed. it was Menningitis and aggresively treated him with both antibiotics and steroids but he just never improved. By Thurs. am they said most dogs would have been trying to get up and move but he was pretty much immobile and the prognosis was poor. I was determined to give him another 24 hours in the ICU even after reading the article posted by Ms Herrick, High Cost of Veterinary Miracles (thank you) but I look back and think I was just grasping at time to proccess everything. I tried asking the vet point blank "what would you do?" and didn't get very far with that. She echoed that giving him 24 hours was not being unreasonable. I did, however, get better results sending a trusted, somewhat removed person over to the Hospital to evaluate him and speak with the vet(since I live 3.5 hours away) and the vet was much more frank with her and said he will not recover, puting him down was the best option. I think Vets that are in that situation often have learned to be very delicate with the owners. I in no way think they were trying to pad my bill but wanted me to feel like I gave him every chance that I was comfortable with. A couple hours later they had to put him on oxygen as his breathing was becoming more labored and they thought his organs may be starting to shut down. It was then we decided to let him go. We are having an autopsy done.

He was turning out to be the most perfect dog, everything we were trying to breed for in one package. He had the best personality just a sweetheart, high desire, and the classic Lab look we like. I'm sure we will try again someday but right now it feels impossible. This really hurts.

Thanks to everyone that gave advice, encouragement, prayers, or just for listening.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that he lost his battle - I had so hoped, as I know you did, that there would be a happy ending. Please accept my deepest sympathies.

Andy

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost a dog last summer at only 4 years old. I was very tough, it took a couple months to even be able to think about another pup. Hang in there it eventually gets better.

DH

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Oh -this is so sad. How heartbroken you must be. It's so easy to say, but please remember that you did absolutely everything that you could & you were fighting a battle that couldn't be won. To let him go in the end was the last thing you could do for him.

I'm so sorry. There are a lot of kindred spirits that will meet him at the bridge. He won't be alone.

Deepest Sympathy-

M

1 - 20 of 44 Posts