RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone out there feeds holistic. If so why and what has your experience been? What brand do you choose? Thanks

·
Registered
680 Posts
Julie,

I think of the term "Holistic" as more a marketing gimick than a true class of dog food. It has no firm definition to my knowledge. I do use some grain-free foods such as Orijen and Taste of the Wild with good results.

Swack

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
If you've been feeding Orijen and TOTW, you need to check out Earthborn Holistic. First, are you aware TOTW just had a recall in May? It's made by Diamond. I've been really pleased with Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural and the Puppy Vantage foods.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
I have fed and am feeding Earthborn Holistic in several varieties, Primitive, Coastal Catch, and the Adult. It has a higher protein content than most of the Holistic formulas for working dogs.

·
Registered
680 Posts
If you've been feeding Orijen and TOTW, you need to check out Earthborn Holistic. First, are you aware TOTW just had a recall in May? It's made by Diamond. I've been really pleased with Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural and the Puppy Vantage foods.
J. Walker,

I have fed Earthborn Holistic. I prefer the Primitive Natural formulation because it uses an animal fat source while the other formulations use canola oil. I prefer Taste of the Wild's Wetland formulation for the same reasons.

I was aware that there was a recall on many foods manufatured by Diamond at their South Carolina plant. My dealer is supplied from the Missouri plant. I did some checking into the recall and believe that there was more smoke than fire in this recent recall. If I recall the details correctly a test came back positive for salmonella. All of the product that had been produced at the plant during a period of time was recalled. They tested many food lots and the sample lots of raw materials used to produce the foods manufactured during the time in question and were unable to find any further contamination. To my knowledge, there were no pets who became ill from the food that was recalled from Diamond's South Carolina plant. I think they used an abundance of caution following the melanine contamination of rice gluten meal that was obtained from China in the major recall a few years ago.

All recalls are not the same in terms of seriousness. According to my dog food dealer, Diamond's S. Carolina plant is huge and the amount of product manufactured there and the quantity of raw material used to produce that amount of food is vast. His view is that with such large quantities of materials moving through the plant it is just a matter of time before something gets past quality control. Other large dog food manufacturing facilities face the same issues due to their size and the large quanties of materials used to produce so much product.

Swack

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have been feeding ProNature Holistic. Very good food.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Holistic actually means an individual's overall physical, mental, spiritual, and emotional well being. We are opening a holistic dog food store and I was wondering what makes a person decide they would like to go Holistic. Often it's a health problem, but what other reasons? Thanks Everyone.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Eagle Pack Holistic Select for Hailey and Ryder is PMR fed. I've fed EP for many years (back before they even had the HS line) and it has always worked well for them. My dogs have always had great coats, stool and muscle tone, plus it's a food I can feed to fosters (of varying size and activity level) with confidence. To meet his nutritional needs, Ryder would have to eat the performance blend (if fed EP) which is chicken based and he doesn't do as well on processed chicken. He did do well on Ziwi Peak and Nature's Variety Instinct, but with all the recalls and such I decided to feed PMR instead.

·
Registered
977 Posts
How does one define "holistic" dog food? Is it necessary to include the word into the name, or can it be a food of any name that includes (or excludes) certain ingredients? Just wondering if it's anything like the term "organic," which is often misinterpreted and incorrectly applied.

I like the sound of it, but there's so much discussion about dog food qualities it's hard to determine how beneficial some of the fancier ingredients really are. With so many pros recommending Pro Plan Performance and Euk Performance, it's hard to disregard their advice. Yet the ingredients in those foods are terrible by current popular standards. There are generations of dogs who have been raised on corn-based dog food and lived normal lives.

I have a dog with a sensitive stomach who is currently thriving (for the first time in his life) on a dog food that is $65 for 25 lbs., yikes. The other dog is thriving on a mid-range, mid-priced food. My neighbor, whose dogs hunt nearly every day of duck season in the Gunnison River with ice, feeds his dogs an inexpensive dog food that I have heard referred to as "no better than cardboard" here on this forum, and his dogs are healthy, vibrant, and have no problems with the rigors of cold water duck hunting. Makes me wonder if we are over-thinking dog food.

·
Registered
680 Posts
How does one define "holistic" dog food? Is it necessary to include the word into the name, or can it be a food of any name that includes (or excludes) certain ingredients? Just wondering if it's anything like the term "organic," which is often misinterpreted and incorrectly applied.

I like the sound of it, but there's so much discussion about dog food qualities it's hard to determine how beneficial some of the fancier ingredients really are. With so many pros recommending Pro Plan Performance and Euk Performance, it's hard to disregard their advice. Yet the ingredients in those foods are terrible by current popular standards. There are generations of dogs who have been raised on corn-based dog food and lived normal lives.

I have a dog with a sensitive stomach who is currently thriving (for the first time in his life) on a dog food that is $65 for 25 lbs., yikes. The other dog is thriving on a mid-range, mid-priced food. My neighbor, whose dogs hunt nearly every day of duck season in the Gunnison River with ice, feeds his dogs an inexpensive dog food that I have heard referred to as "no better than cardboard" here on this forum, and his dogs are healthy, vibrant, and have no problems with the rigors of cold water duck hunting. Makes me wonder if we are over-thinking dog food.
Pam,

You bring up some good questions and make some valid observations. I think that in many cases the word "Holistic" appears on a dog food bag as a marketing gimick. I don't think there are any standards that must be met to use the term, unlike "organic".

I tend to feed what many consider higher end dog food. I think most dogs will do fine on the mid-range foods and many would do fine on the cheap stuff; at least for the short term. However, my concern is for the long term health and wellness that I hope will be better for my dogs if I feed the good stuff. There's no way to know for sure if it is worth the investment, but I try to do what I think is best for my dogs. This is doubly true for brood bitches during gestation/lactation and for a growing puppy.

So, we may be "over-thinking" dog food, but Hippocrates once said "Let your food be your medicine and your medicine be your food."

Swack

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dogs often thrive in spite of what we do not because of what we do. We are not over-thinking dog food. We only make changes if there is a problem. Otherwise, we dont change. "Holistic" is a marketing term in Western Pet Foods. If a food contains green beans then its termed "holistic." This is not the definition of "holistic." Holistic means "considering the entire realm of events that impact the health of an animal." Food is only one component of holism. Other components include social status, emotional status, and other health considerations. Holistic in terms of food is a marketing scheme for the vast majority of foods.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Eagle Pack Holistic Select for Hailey and Ryder is PMR fed. I've fed EP for many years (back before they even had the HS line) and it has always worked well for them. My dogs have always had great coats, stool and muscle tone, plus it's a food I can feed to fosters (of varying size and activity level) with confidence. To meet his nutritional needs, Ryder would have to eat the performance blend (if fed EP) which is chicken based and he doesn't do as well on processed chicken. He did do well on Ziwi Peak and Nature's Variety Instinct, but with all the recalls and such I decided to feed PMR instead.
I've said this before but I simply don't trust the company that owns Eagle Pack. Eagle Pack is part of Wellpet. Wellpet is owned by Berwind, a holding company. Berwind is the same company that sent the production of Elmer's school glue, the glue in thousands upon thousands of schools, to CHINA. Given all the issues with toxic paints and adhesives on toys coming out of China and that Berwind obviously thought nothing of using Chinese manufacturers to save literally pennies, I find it hard to believe they wouldn't do the same thing with dog food.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I switched to Precise Holistic because of the recalls on dog food. The bag states that it is made in the USA.

Terri

·
Registered
680 Posts
I switched to Precise Holistic because of the recalls on dog food. The bag states that it is made in the USA.

Terri

The recent recalls were from Diamond's South Carolina plant. Last time I checked South Carolina was in the USA.

Swack

·
Registered
621 Posts
My post was not connected to any other post. I was feeding my dogs a food that was recalled and so I needed to find another food. The part that the new food was made in the USA was in reference to my desire to support American workers.

Terri

·
Registered
968 Posts
I feed my dogs Blue Buffalo.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I've said this before but I simply don't trust the company that owns Eagle Pack. Eagle Pack is part of Wellpet. Wellpet is owned by Berwind, a holding company. Berwind is the same company that sent the production of Elmer's school glue, the glue in thousands upon thousands of schools, to CHINA. Given all the issues with toxic paints and adhesives on toys coming out of China and that Berwind obviously thought nothing of using Chinese manufacturers to save literally pennies, I find it hard to believe they wouldn't do the same thing with dog food.
J. Walker,

I understand your concerns when large companies buy out small companies that have a reputation for producing quality dog food. I don't know about Berwind, but I do know a little about Eagle Pack. They recently invested in a large expansion to their Mishawaka, Indiana production facility. I'd be shocked if they move production overseas.

Swack

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think you should feed what ever makes you happy and maintains the health of your dog. Of course, It's been my experience that most dogs will eat most any nasty thing that they come across, usually starting at the ass and working their way through the digestive tract, and then backing out and starting on the muscle, then the connective tissue, gnashing the bone and pretty much leaving skin and some bones.. washing it down from the next available mud puddle....would that be considered "Wholelistic"? That being said, in my 30 years experience, with the high grade 30/20 brands of commercial dog food:. I have seen the avg age of a lab go from 8-10 yrs. to 13-15 yrs. I've seen their general condition improve, the time required to rehab decline greatly. the incidence of skin disease, ear problems,decline, and their dental health greatly improve.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts