RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Not me, but poking round the website I found this...

... Riverview Farm Finalist, aka Brainy, won the two-day open trial at Bowhill Estate (Scottish Gundog Association). This win makes him a British Field Trial Champion! Given this accomplishment, Brainy has become the first dog ever born and bred in the US which was made up to a British Field Trial Champion.

Furthermore, he is now also qualified for the IGL Retriever Championship.

.... which is pretty fair going. Parts of the website don't have valid links so some of the health clearances are obscure, but the clearances that are present, look OK to me, but I ain't trained in 'Murican. Need to clarify that.

The obvious implication is that these dogs are intended to be hunters first and foremost, not US FT dogs. Unsure of their training methods Stateside, quite possibly, not e-collar or FF.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2 year old yellow male from them. Great dog. He has more drive than most of my dogs out of U.S. titled dogs. He is about 70 pounds and is very nice looking. Good marker, hits the water hard, and really shines in the uplands. I bought him for a hunting dog and fills that role beyond my expectations. He is out of Lincoln and Flash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 2 year old yellow male from them. Great dog. He has more drive than most of my dogs out of U.S. titled dogs. He is about 70 pounds and is very nice looking. Good marker, hits the water hard, and really shines in the uplands. I bought him for a hunting dog and fills that role beyond my expectations. He is out of Lincoln and Flash.
Sweet! thanks for the info. Do you think that SOK is different than Riverview Farm Kennels?

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
UK working labs look a lot like our working labs. Actually I think in general they are better looking than many of our FT dogs --- there are getting to be more and more of them running hunt tests and the ones I've seen were very fit and very athletic. My own is also very fit and very athletic and quite driven on game.

'English' labs are 'show labs' --- and often very portly -- but not , always. It just sounds so much more sophisticated to say 'I have an English lab', rather than 'I have a lab from conformation lines' LOL
'British' labs are generally not 'show labs' - unless the person using the term is confused, which, in today's world, seems to be the norm? LOL!!! They are 'working/field' labs.

Just don't start calling ours 'Merican labs. Makes it sound like they were born and raised in a meth lab. hahahaha! (and some of them might even act like it, according to all the people who want a 'dog with an off switch'??).

·
Registered
828 Posts
Just an FYI, British lab means big overweight show lab to 99% of the folks who have a performance dog... one that can hunt upland, ducks and dove in the same day in hot and humid weather
I don't care what kind of dog( Labrador) you've got, you are not a good caretaker if you hunt them Upland all day in hot and humid conditions

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't care what kind of dog( Labrador) you've got, you are not a good caretaker if you hunt them Upland all day in hot and humid conditions
Pshhh I hunted my labs in thick cover all day I'm October when the temps are high. They jumped in the water every chance they got and where fine. I guess if you're chasing chukar all day at the end of September maybe but still I'd do it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Pshhh I hunted my labs in thick cover all day I'm October when the temps are high. They jumped in the water every chance they got and where fine. I guess if you're chasing chukar all day at the end of September maybe but still I'd do it.
You truly don't know what you don't know.
Have you ever seen a dog die from overheating?
I have, and it is shocking how quickly a retriever can go from looking perfectly healthy to their tongue getting a little thicker/bigger to being in serious life threatening trouble.
It's a case where an ounce of prevention is truly worth 100 lb of cure.
You're supposed remedy of letting him jump in water frequently can actually work against you

Take some time and educate yourself by reading the
"Cooling-back by demand"

thread at the top of the page.
The education you get could save your dog's life

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
You truly don't know what you don't know.
Have you ever seen a dog die from overheating?
I have, and it is shocking how quickly a retriever can go from looking perfectly healthy to their tongue getting a little thicker/bigger to being in serious life threatening trouble.
It's a case where an ounce of prevention is truly worth 100 lb of cure.
You're supposed remedy of letting him jump in water frequently can actually work against you

Take some time and educate yourself by reading the
"Cooling-back by demand"

thread at the top of the page.
The education you get could save your dog's life

And oh, by the way, the majority (great majority) of these dogs were Labs.

But to get this thread somewhat (in miniscule manner) back on topic, the Brits nor Scots nor Welsh nor Irish don't hunt British nor Scots* nor Welsh nor Irish Labs as we do on (up)land. That's called rough shooting and is the spaniel's realm.

MG

* Although Polmaise might know differently of UK Labs working in the US, having familiarity with the writer of the 100-dog' obituary.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts

But to get this thread somewhat (in miniscule manner) back on topic, the Brits nor Scots nor Welsh nor Irish don't hunt British nor Scots* nor Welsh nor Irish Labs as we do on (up)land. That's called rough shooting and is the spaniel's realm.

MG

* Although Polmaise might know differently of UK Labs working in the US, having familiarity with the writer of the 100-dog' obituary.
'Merica' is a Big Country , you can have Sunshine in Florida while Snow falls in Delaware. Oranges in California and wild wind in Montana . Believe it or not UK has similar differences ,although not as extreme ....A lake in England is a Loch in Scotland ,,and the Welsh, well they have their own Pontypool :)One has cool water and the other has warm . Same as a pond , or a body of water that has flowing current of water.
It's a moot point, but our 'UK' competition field trial Labrador Retrievers are less of coat in the last twenty years rather than more, and more of competition titles than coat. The thicker coat can actually deflect more heat to the body than a thin one if it's Dry! The thicker coat can actually hold more heat when it is wet and warm.
Spaniels however are an in-between in our (up) land and always a second best when water of extreme cold or fast current is required. day anyway
The writer of the obituary would have I thought a local perception . A sad day anyway, when we ask those to perform on a day or days just because it has been arranged on that day.
Scotland , however has four seasons in one day, so we will march on I suppose. lol.

·
Registered
42 Posts

MG

It was crazy hot that year we were duck hunting in t shirts and fighting mosquitoes . Knowing how all the out of staters roll in and most have out of shape dogs it was not going to be a good opener.

·
Registered
999 Posts
This has been an interesting post...

British = field bred from UK lines

English = more show bred looking, not typically bred for hunting

American Field = field bred from American lines

I could take 5 American and 5 British labs and lined them up and 100% you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I've done it with pictures.

I'm sure you'd be happy with a British from a good kennel but IMO is just a marketing scheme and you can find everything you'd want out of lab from American lines. Just have to do your homework either way no matter what people call them. At the end of the day isn't one breed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts