RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 year old dog that can't take any NSAIDS. She had CCL surgery a few years ago and I have her on extra-strength Glucosamine which had been working well, but now she is limping a little more. Tramadol helps but I would like to try CBD oil. Anyone have recommendations for certain products? They are not cheap and I want to make sure I am not getting scammed and they are as pure as possible.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Doc E has a bunch of information linked on the Gun Dog Forum (Duck Hunter's Refuge forums)...

·
Registered
439 Posts
I give my male CBD to help control his itching, it takes a while to build up in the dogs system but his itching has gone away. I'm happy with the results. I but it from Amazon it's called serenity hemp oil. Get the larger bottle it will go fast. It says it works on pain so should work for you.

·
Registered
741 Posts
If you buy CBD specifically for dogs you will overpay dramatically. (I'm talking about you, Cannapet)
If you buy CBD tinctures from a hemp purveyor formulated for people you will overpay but a little less dramatically.
If you buy CBD tinctures for people from a dispensary you will over pay a little less dramatically still.
If you buy CBD isolate and make your own tinctures with MCT or another oil you will pay about 20% of what you would pay buying formulas for pets...

We've been buying 500mg in an MCT tincture from the dispensary and paying $45 per 500 mg, sometimes it goes on sale.

I bought 2 grams of CBD isolate yesterday for $60 (missed the sale when it was at $20/gram) and made tinctures up last night - takes about 15 minutes...so i got 4 dropper bottles worth of tincture for $60 versus the $180 I would have paid at the dispensary and the much much higher price for a tincture that says 'pet' on it.

Seems to be very helpful, especially helps my 14 year old warrior sleep at night.

You want CBD, not hemp oil.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I bought 2 grams of CBD isolate yesterday for $60 (missed the sale when it was at $20/gram) and made tinctures up last night - takes about 15 minutes...so i got 4 dropper bottles worth of tincture for $60 versus the $180 I would have paid at the dispensary and the much much higher price for a tincture that says 'pet' on it.
Where did you buy the isolate?? Important it is in the correct oil like you mention MCT, or Krill oil was mentioned.
Human CBD products are not well absorbed by dogs from my reading, but there is still alot of conjecture and mis-information out there. (in supplements?? surely not-VBG)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hi Doc Baxter.

I don't think the isolate is any different for humans or dogs, just the base oils.

I used non-GMO MCT oil to make my tinctures.

Colorado has a pretty good supply of hemp producers and there are several outfits producing the CBD isolate which is derived from CO2 extraction versus chemical extraction.

The manufacturer of the product I purchased is called CB Distillery and they ship nationwide.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the help in posts and pms. I have discovered there are many pet CBD and hemp oils of various grades and prices. I contacted the one on the Refuge and their "support" is just a computer constantly emailing to buy so I am not impressed since they offered a coupon and their website does not honor it when you order. Thank you Spaightlabs for your advice. First I want to see if it works. No dispensary here (I wish) but I may have a contact. Very helpful. Looking for the purist CBD to try.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Nancy - the folks at CB Distillery have the lab certifications (get it , HA!) of purity online and will ship to WI. - they are 99% and higher for CBD.

Their CBD has no THC or other psychoactive ingredients, so legal. I will be back in East Troy, WI sometime this summer otherwise and could 'mule' some your direction.

Otherwise, we can buy retail here easily and I'd be happy to ship some your way. a 1 gram container is about the diameter of quarter and 1 inch high. They sell .5 gram containers as well so the investment is small to give it a try. I don't think there is any possible harm from CBD, but I don't know for 100% certain on that and leave that answer for the DVM and MDs to answer.

Instructions on how to make tinctures or lotions below.

https://discovercbd.com/pages/cbd-recipes-and-suggestions

Most of the 'results' folks report are subjective - there just isn't peer-reviewed and controlled studies out there.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Funny thing. I just came from my grand-daughter's graduation party. A couple there have a 15 year old lab they were going to put down because she couldn't get up to a standing position after laying down. She was unable to really get around much at all. After starting her on the CBD oil, she's mobile and can actually get up on their couch on her own.

Just an anecdote. Hardly scientific.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got some and I noticed a difference in 2 days. Now it's not proof because I did tweak what I give her by increasing the green lipped mussel but she is moving around much faster and is in better spirits.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: old dog is flat out running in from outside. So nice to see the gray eye-browed face happy.

·
Registered
325 Posts
My arthritic 9 yo lab is on adequan shots and galliprant. I was at a farmers market and bought some CBD oil to put on her food. Wow what an improvement. At the end of the day she is pretty stoved up no matter what she does during the day. We went to our cabin and she grabbed a stick and ran all over like a puppy, swam and hiked. That night went outside to the bathroom without her laying down. It was the biggest improvement I have seen in her. Try some if you have an arthritic dog.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Awesome to hear Nancy.
She's still doing well so I bought the 100% pure stuff and I will make my own after I use the commercially made stuff up. I'm very happy with the results. She has HGE which means her stomach lining can slough off, cause unknown, with pools of blood. I have kept it down to only the first time when I didn't know what happened. At the first sign of it I start medication but her response to the CBD was about the same as Metacam acts on my other dogs when I started it.

She is still taking all the Glucosamine and green lipped mussel supplements as before.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is the first one I used https://www.innovetpet.com/products/purcbd
They give you doses by weight. I give her 12 drops 2X a day and started out with once a day
Now I will use the pure product from CB Distillery in Colorado and make my own (see post 9)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts