RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog was diagnosed with Spondylosis a year or so ago. Some articles online say there is no pain associated with it. Others say there is. Several weeks ago she got up from laying down. Her back end immediately dropped and her front leg stuck straight out in front of her. We laid her down and waited a little bit and it was all over. Not sure if this was something with the spondylosis or a separate issue. Has anyone had any experience with this disease? Thanks.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
My dog was diagnosed with Spondylosis a year or so ago. Some articles online say there is no pain associated with it. Others say there is. Several weeks ago she got up from laying down. Her back end immediately dropped and her front leg stuck straight out in front of her. We laid her down and waited a little bit and it was all over. Not sure if this was something with the spondylosis or a separate issue. Has anyone had any experience with this disease? Thanks.
Spondylosis is a general term, the specific location could indicate the clinical significance

·
Registered
1,837 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
My work dog (malinois) had it a few years back. He did have pain with it when he would turn or twist a certain way. Our vet suggested a series of shots which I followed and it seems to have fixed the problem. He does still have fusion of a couple of veritabraes which somewhat limits his flexability, but he continues to work and the pain seems to be gone.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Our dog was diagnosed with it as well. I believe it is calcium deposits on the spine causing bone spurs. About three months later he lost the use of his back legs. He was able to get around pretty good in the wheel chair that we bought for him though, just a pain getting him in and out. He didn't show that he was in much pain just frustrated I think. Our vet prescribed Ascrypton for any associated discomfort. The vet also said that he had a severe case so I hope your dog fairs better. Good luck.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Julie,
We have had a similar situation but it's involved and I type slowly. If you would like to PM me your phone number I could call you or I will give you my phone number and you can call me. I can relay what the vets at Purdue have found and concluded. It's very interesting.
Bill Butikas

1 - 6 of 6 Posts