RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a quick question regarding donations:

We are in the process of determining whether we will have a fund raising Derby / Q event for a 501 (c) 3 retriever charity. Of course, we are wanting to raise as much money as possible, so I am looking at ways to get donations, or raffle items, etc.

Does anyone out there have any experience with this, or direct me who to contact at the big companies to see if they would be willing to make a small donation, or product donation towards the event.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts / suggestions / direction......

Doug

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The biggest advantage is knowing someone at the company. If your charity is easily recognized and the necessity understood then its usually easier.

Concentrate on local companies and beat the bushes.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
We had good luck with both Cabela's and Wholesale sports (formerly Sportsmens Warehouse) last year. Cabela's had a manager who was in charge of local promototions, donations etc... that we contacted, explained who we were and what we were doing and he donated about $300 worth of product to the test. Wholesale Sports donated $200 or so as well.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I know our local Cabela's often donates gear.

I know they donate to one outfitters disabled hunt yearly by giving out free hats, a painting to raffle, other odds and ends, and special coupons.

I have also been told Cabela's is trying to step up on the dog department. Getting new product, hosting more dog events, and such forth. At least that is what I heard. ;-)

It never hurts to ask. Oh, and every store has an 'Events Coordinator". So If you call your local store that is who to ask for!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all. I wish we had a cabellas locally, however we do have a Bass Pro.

How about from Purina, tritronics, Euk.? Anyobe ever approach them?

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Cabelas denied our request this year for a donation. But they have always been a great supporter of our club in the past.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Being on the other side of the equation, I'd just like to comment that the best approach is always to point out what's in it for the donor, rather than just "begging for money". You need to tell them how your event advertises their name, the market it will reach, tax deduction, and so on.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Thank you all. I wish we had a cabellas locally, however we do have a Bass Pro.

How about from Purina, tritronics, Euk.? Anyobe ever approach them?

Thanks again
Purina once donated a BUNCH of food and treats, tritronics and zinger have allowed the club to purchase equipment at cost for use in our raffle as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts