RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Are Pro trainers happy with their occupation?

• Yes, becuase they love what they do

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, becuase they are burned out on the game

• Yes, because they love what they do and make a good living

• No, because they can't make a good living and are burned out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize this poll could have many more options and reasons for like or dislike but it is a place to start. I just think that would be a job (even though very hard work) every retriever enthusiast would love to have. What are the biggest complaints about this profession trainers have? I realize everything has its drawbacks but I can't imagine doing anything better than training dogs for a living. Much better than sitting behind a desk all day, which is what I do. Just wondering.

Jason

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
gotpapers said:
I realize this poll could have many more options and reasons for like or dislike but it is a place to start. I just think that would be a job (even though very hard work) every retriever enthusiast would love to have. What are the biggest complaints about this profession trainers have? I realize everything has its drawbacks but I can't imagine doing anything better than training dogs for a living. Much better than sitting behind a desk all day, which is what I do. Just wondering.

Jason
All my life i was told to find something you love and make a career of it. I've turned a hobbie into a career TWICE (first computers, then EE) and i can tell you, it ruins a lot of the fun. Not saying you will grow to resent it, but it definitely changes things when it's your job.

MY advice to future generations... Figure out what will make you the most money and enjoy your hobbies to the fullest.

SM

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Reasons to become a professional retriever trainer

1. love training dogs
2. love competing
3. love traveling and staying in motels on the road with 14 to 18 adult dogs
4. if you're really successful and good you can make a decent living (assuming that you're a good business person)

Reasons NOT to become a professional retriever trainer

1. no weekends off, that's when the clients are off
2. no vacations
3. no 401 K or other pension plan
4. employees, unemployment taxes, workmen's compensation taxes, liability insurance
5. huge investment in facilities and equipment
6. clients don't think you have a personal life, they call you at dinner time, at bedtime, and early in the morning when they know they will find you
7. you don't have a personal life
8. spending 2 to 4 months a year on the road in a climate that is conducive to training
9. being away from home 20 to 30 weekends each year
10.some clients have unrealistic expectations for their dogs
11. sometimes clients don't pay their bills on time
12. sometimes clients don't pay their bills at all

the pros that I know well do it because they love it and they put up with all the negatives

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Reasons to become a professional retriever trainer

1. love training dogs
2. love competing
3. love traveling and staying in motels on the road with 14 to 18 adult dogs
Yup to number one and two. Number 3 you can get used to anything.

4. if you're really successful and good you can make a decent living (assuming that you're a good business person)
That's all I ask.... :wink:

Saturdays yes, Sundays no... My clients are trained..... :wink:

2. no vacations
Not true, it just takes alot of planning and some good friends and or family.

4. employees, unemployment taxes, workmen's compensation taxes, liability insurance
True, that part really does suck.

. clients don't think you have a personal life, they call you at dinner time, at bedtime, and early in the morning when they know they will find you
Only if you don't train them. E-mailing helps considerably. Also they leave a message and I get back to them rather quickly. At least I try to.

Can't agree with you there. We have interests outside the business. You just can't let the business run you. Also Dog training is like farming, it's a lifestyle and the whole family better be on board...
8. spending 2 to 4 months a year on the road in a climate that is conducive to training
Yup!

Not for me,,,, I can get the job done in 12-15 weekends.

Well yaaa,,,, I'm suppose to have a magic wand and a endless supply of pixie dust. Also owners egos are very much tied to their dogs. You have to be pretty diplomatic sometimes.... Yes I can do that.... :p
I wonder how they would feel if they're employer decided to be 3 weeks late with their check. :?

Thank goodness that doesn't happen often.

the pros that I know well do it because they love it and they put up with all the negatives
Well there ya go! :D

Angie

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Ed said:

2. no vacations
6. clients don't think you have a personal life, they call you at dinner time, at bedtime, and early in the morning when they know they will find you
Most of those could be said for every self-employed person I know ?.as a matter of fact sounds like you are describing being a Vet. :wink:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Are Pro Trainers Happy With Their Occupation?

As a Pro trainer, how could you not be happy with letters like this??

Dear Trainer:
I saw your ad in the Retriever Journal and have made arrangements to ship you a real dog, although I may have spoiled him a little bit myself.
But he's a real prospect, has only a minor fault or two and all he needs to make him a great dog is a little work on birds. Trust you will be able to provide that. My dog will do the rest.
I'm enclosing my personal check for $75.00 which should cover his first two months of training.. Please don't cash it until next week, though, then I think I'll have enough in the checking account. I'll just trust you to send me the difference. You are priced a little higher than I expected to pay to get my dog trained. I really don't expect to win a National Championship, just a few Field Trials.
I'm sure a Pro that gets as much money as you do for training a dog can guarantee me these kinds of results and will refund my money if I'm not satisfied after I get my dog back.
Besides running him in the Field Trials, I want to hunt him and also want him to hunt for my brother-in-law who is paying half the training fee.
He doesn't have to hunt everything, just the usual stuff most dogs hunt, like rabbits, ducks, pheasants, quail, chukar, prairie chickens, ruffed grouse, woodcock, squirrels, foxes and woodchucks during the day. At night I want to hunt **** with him, but I don't want him to chase deer.
Would you also teach him the difference between teal and mallards; when I shoot those little ducks, I don't want him to retreieve them, 'cause then I have to count them in my bag limit.
If you get a lttle extra time, which you probably will, 'cause this dog is pretty smart and learns real quick, I'd like for you to housebreak him and teach him how to herd sheep.... I live on a ranch so you can see I know a lot about animals and am pretty hard to fool when it comes to that.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. He runs and hides under the truck when I shoot the gun, but he isn't really gun shy, and he won't go in the water unless I throw him in. I really don't like him acting that way and I want you to correct him. Also, teach him not to bite kids, one of his minor faults. Before I forget, he might have a few worms which might account for why he's so thin. I imagine you'll cure him of those before you send him back and you'll probably want to have your vet give him some shots so he doesn't catch anything from those other dogs you have there.
To tell the truth, the real reason I'm sending you the dog, even though I've trained lots of dogs myself, is that my wife threatened to move out if I didn't get rid of him. When you send him back, all trained, I want you to write my wife a letter and tell her what a good dog he is.
When you get him all trained for hunting (he should point, be steady to wing and shot, and fetch everything I shoot, just like it says in the books) there's a chance my wife will take him back. If it's going to take longer than two months, let me know.
I live in Nova Scotia, quite a ways from you. But I don't like these trainers around here, that's why I'm shipping him to you in British Columbia air express collect. It would be nice if you could deliver him in person when you get him all trained. Maybe you could spend a couple of days here showing me what he can do. We got a nice little motel we run here in conncetion with our ranch and we'd give you a break on the rates.
But I suppose like those of us who work for our money, you Pro trainers get busy sometimes and might not be able to arrange that. So I can arrange with a friend of mine who is a truck driver to pick up my dog at your place. He drives by your place at night, so he'll be at the kennels around 2 a.m. Hope your wife doesn't mind fixing a meal for him when he comes to get the dog. He likes steak and Coors beer. I know you'll like him though, he's my kind of guy.
It's a pleasure doing business with you and if you're too tired to write - or if you dog trainers don't know how, just direct dial me twice a week or so because it doesn't cost you much on the evening rates.
Your Sportsman friend,

A fellow dog lover.

.........I don't know who the original author of this was, but as a pro trainer, it gave me a good laugh and thought RTF readers would enjoy it as well...
Bopper

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
You have to be pretty diplomatic sometimes.... Yes I can do that....
Bwahaaahaaahaaa..............

Who are you and what have you done with the real Angie Becker????? :p :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts